Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:44:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014-01-17 Venture Beat - How ... could catalyze a new digital civilization  (Read 1374 times)
StarfishPrime (OP)

Activity: 358
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 03:09:42 PM

http://venturebeat.com/2014/01/17/iamsatoshi-how-an-alliance-of-bitcoin-traders-could-catalyze-a-new-digital-civilization/

A thought provoking article on the long term implications of bitcoin - proposing an active, global alliance to promote worldwide adoption.

¦                     
  ¦    ¦¦¦               
¦¦  ¦¦¦¦                 
                             ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦
                          ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦                     
                         ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                  ¦¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦

¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦    ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                   ¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦
                ¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦       ¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
        ¦¦¦¦         ¦        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦¦          ¦      ¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦         ¦¦         ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦       ¦          ¦ ¦¦   ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦¦     ¦¦          ¦   ¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦     ¦          ¦      ¦   ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦    ¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦¦     ¦¦         ¦   ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦     ¦¦         ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦   ¦¦    ¦        ¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦    ¦   ¦        ¦¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦       ¦     ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦    ¦  ¦      ¦      ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦     ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
       ¦¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦

TorCoin.....
¦
¦
¦
¦
  Fully Anonymous TOR-integrated Crypto
               ¦ Windows     ¦ Linux     ¦ GitHub     ¦ macOS
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
   ANN THREAD
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
[/center]
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 04:58:14 PM

http://venturebeat.com/2014/01/17/iamsatoshi-how-an-alliance-of-bitcoin-traders-could-catalyze-a-new-digital-civilization/

A thought provoking article on the long term implications of bitcoin - proposing an active, global alliance to promote worldwide adoption.

The implications portion was interesting, I agree.

They lost me with the proposal that want to put tax the exchanges to raise money to fund a foundation that will promote bitcoin in a transparent way. 

Personally, I don't like the forced centralization idea - never mind the fact that it would be nearly impossible to get all exchanges to do it. Fine, start another foundation, get people to join voluntarily and let everyone else promote bitcoin in their own way. 

Bitcoin is about p2p decentralization and people having the freedom to join others who believe the same.

Thanks for posting that - a worthwhile read.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2014, 11:00:01 PM

I believe the short version is that what this person is proposing is Freicoin where a percentage of the cryptocurrency is given to the the people holding the code, to each their own, we are now in a free market, it's nothing new or revolutionary though.
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 01:30:53 AM

i think the alliance if it exists should be of distributed decentralized molecular groups
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 02:52:06 AM

Decent article but lost me at "The Satoshi Nakamoto Foundation should support and promote all legitimate cryptocurrencies, not just Bitcoins"

Who would define "legitimate"?
jinni

Activity: 255

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 11:04:46 AM

i think the alliance if it exists should be of distributed decentralized molecular groups

This. We don't need a centralized foundation. Maybe Bitfunder (or another crowdfunding site) can fund specific projects/causes as the community deems it necessary. Of course, the benefit of a foundation is that one could build up a war chest for possible future use.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 11:21:26 AM

This. We don't need a centralized foundation. Maybe Bitfunder (or another crowdfunding site) can fund specific projects/causes as the community deems it necessary. Of course, the benefit of a foundation is that one could build up a war chest for possible future use.

I don't think we need any new foundations, especially ones with 'war chests' - who is going to pay for this? bitcoin should be as 'light' as possible.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 04:01:05 PM

"Foundations" are a waste of time.

Not to the ones collecting the money and spending it, of course. My problem with these try-hards are multiple in origin:

1.) They blew our "cover" early, causing a slow and bureaucratic monster to notice Bitcoin much sooner than they would've on their own.

2.) They think that by cozying up to the government, they're doing us all this big favor - when in reality they're just accelerating the process of being co-opted themselves, which brings with it the attendant problems of the government trying to "control" Bitcoin.

3.) They've also presented themselves as a large target for persecution when the government monster finally understands that Bitcoin doesn't give two shits about regulations or sovereign desires. Perhaps one could say this is karma for their ignorance, but it still is a problem they'll have to deal with.

4.) By offering to be the central "voice" of Bitcoin, their ill-advised ideas of how to suck up to government controls will diminish the ability of Bitcoin users in those countries to use Bitcoin as freely as they could otherwise. And no, being able to use Bitcoin to get takeout pizza or buy e-books isn't what I'm fucking talking about.

In short, its a bumbling short-sighted ego trip that is trying to be a centralized representative of a system that doesn't need it. Its about as absurd as claiming to speak for all of the internet -- which is completely ridiculous.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
callem

Activity: 130
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 05:18:34 PM
Last edit: January 19, 2014, 06:30:32 PM by callem

The idea of a foundation funded by some sort of transaction fee is even worse than the idea of a foundation closely coupled with the core developers (which we already have).

The discussion of potential cryptocurrency impact on society was interesting though.

bitbouillion

Activity: 868

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 07:20:39 PM

In order to work Bitcoin does not a central monopoly organization to influence, promote, lobby, protect, defend etc. etc.. That would be the end of decentralization and finally kill Bitcoin.

There are already enough efforts to promote Bitcoin by the competing commercial infrastructure operators, which are funded by their own business activities and not by a central Bitcoin "tax".

His idea sounds like "big government" and is in my opinion completely contrary to the Bitcoin idea.

empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 03:56:32 AM

"Foundations" are a waste of time.

Not to the ones collecting the money and spending it, of course. My problem with these try-hards are multiple in origin:

1.) They blew our "cover" early, causing a slow and bureaucratic monster to notice Bitcoin much sooner than they would've on their own.

2.) They think that by cozying up to the government, they're doing us all this big favor - when in reality they're just accelerating the process of being co-opted themselves, which brings with it the attendant problems of the government trying to "control" Bitcoin.

3.) They've also presented themselves as a large target for persecution when the government monster finally understands that Bitcoin doesn't give two shits about regulations or sovereign desires. Perhaps one could say this is karma for their ignorance, but it still is a problem they'll have to deal with.

4.) By offering to be the central "voice" of Bitcoin, their ill-advised ideas of how to suck up to government controls will diminish the ability of Bitcoin users in those countries to use Bitcoin as freely as they could otherwise. And no, being able to use Bitcoin to get takeout pizza or buy e-books isn't what I'm fucking talking about.

In short, its a bumbling short-sighted ego trip that is trying to be a centralized representative of a system that doesn't need it. Its about as absurd as claiming to speak for all of the internet -- which is completely ridiculous.

Couldn't agree more. There is just no need for it, starts to sound like we would need a "bitcoin tax" - the very idea makes me shudder.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: