Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:09:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Linux Supposed to be laggy while mining?  (Read 1389 times)
Gazza1 (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 03:50:29 PM

I just got setup with Xubuntu 13.10 x64 mining on one of my rigs.  All hardware is last gen Z77, Ivy bridge, SSDs, 7970s, etc.

When cgminer opens everything gets very laggy, the mouse drags behind pretty heavily.  is this normal?  How do you subside this?  In Windows 8 there is no lag whatsoever.

I'm using the same cgminer settings as usual

Impossible is a word found only in the dictionary of fools.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Kenshin

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 03:57:05 PM

What intensity have you set it? To be honest, once you start mining. You are not really supposed to use the PC for anything else. It is a miner rig. I do mine CPU coins as well. Might as well, since the PC is running.
Gazza1 (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 04:04:33 PM

same as other rigs, I 13.

There are plenty of reasons for needing to get in the rig at times while mining.  it's not like I plan to transcode videos or play games on it. come on now...

malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 04:04:47 PM

Try lowering the intensity on the GPU which is connected to the monitor.

Signature space available for rent.
Kenshin

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 04:49:32 PM

You think about it, you are getting the GPU to do all these calculation, of course it will be laggy. Like someone has suggested, try to lower the intensity of the GPU which you are going to connect your monitor.

I set my to I20. I also SSH into it, and have that displayed on my laptop. I don't ever touch the rig for any reason.
Gazza1 (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 05:17:26 PM
Last edit: January 20, 2014, 08:42:10 AM by Gazza1

I may be a Linux noob guys but I'm not a mining newb.  Cool  I know I could lower intensity.  I shouldn't have to do that.  I'm using the same settings on Windows and there isn't any lag at all, which is the only reason I am asking this question.  Linux has all the rave of being better and faster than Windows and so far I am not seeing that.  I also updated the drivers to the newest ones. There is still lag. I am guessing it's normal from your guy's answers.

I even use Intensity 13 (highest for my card) on my main windows rig that I am on now and I can surf the web and watch movies while it's mining. Just as an example.  Hell I even played GTAIV the other day while it was mining (because I forgot the turn the miner off), granted the game was slower, I played for a whole couple hours before I realized I was still mining in the background.  This was on max settings in full HD with a heavily modified game.  I can't even move the mouse on Linux.  

Hashrate is also faster in Windows.  Same exact settings.  Though I'm sure that just needs readjusting.

It's just a simple question, not a complaint.  I was just wondering if it was normal and if there was a solution other than sacrificing hashrate.  I am likely to stay with Linux anyway given it's abilities.

elchorizo

Activity: 236

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 05:56:58 PM

Unfortunately Windows drivers are simply superior for 'normal' usage. I do think if you tune your settings you will get a higher hash rate on Linux then Windows, but you won't fix the lag problem. Ideally we should be able to run cgminer without even having X running but unfortunately the drivers don't allow this so some resources will always be wasted driving the display.

On my boxes this is how I do mining.

When the box fires up I VNC into it and open a terminal and open a tmux session in that terminal. I then disconnect the tmux session. I now disconnect the VNC session. Next, I ssh into the box and resume my tmux session. This tmux session is now running "in" X. I've tried exporting the display and for some reason that is flaky but this method works all the time. Next I run my cgminer.sh script which has something like this in it... I set the resolution of the X server to a very low value so that less resources are dedicated to driving the X Window system.

You won't notice any lag in this method because you are never waiting on the graphics display.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
export DISPLAY=:0
export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1
export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100
xrandr -s 800x600 # this sets the resolution of your display to a low value
cgminer <insert whatever you need for cgminer here>

BTC: 1Chorizo6WNabZxVfQyGtvF4JiRt7Hexxb
LTC: Lchorizoy8ck7Arbby8LDnw5wAmi8h6Hzb
Gazza1 (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 06:32:12 PM
Last edit: January 20, 2014, 08:28:53 AM by Gazza1

Thanks guys sounds good and I'll give that a try.   Cool

melmo

Activity: 213

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 08:58:38 PM

SSH into the box instead of using the desktop. 
Kenshin

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 12:48:41 AM

Exactly, that is my point. Why do you want to use the mining rig to do anything anyway. You are wasting hashing power when you use it.  Roll Eyes

Never mind, I guess no one can stop you from doing this not so good habit.  Smiley
Kenshin

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 12:56:10 AM

Ideally we should be able to run cgminer without even having X running but unfortunately the drivers don't allow this so some resources will always be wasted driving the display.

If you set up autologin, then X will run when auto login.

Edit the file /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf;

To enable autologin, edit the file to look like this:
Code:
[SeatDefaults]
autologin-user=<USERNAME>
autologin-user-timeout=0
user-session=xubuntu
greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter
Thom

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Be kind man, don't be mankind

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 12:58:44 AM

*everything* is laggy on a machine that's mining! And everything you do on it that's not mining is slowing down your mining.
It just feels laggier on linux because your hardware is concentrating on the mining, not giving you a smooth time. There's less windows in the way.

If you can handle yourself in terminal, just do that. Better yet, SSH it from another machine, and say meh to having a monitor/keyboard/mouse connected to it. Or better yet again, install the server version of your distro instead.

Also if it's fast enough to be usable but laggy while cgminer is active, then hit it with cpuminer too, it clearly has the guts for it.

It's short for Thomassina ⚥ • BTC veteran, Bitcointalk neophyte • BTC1THoM4cn8hHTyE637DEPMCLcerZe1mL1X • Cex.IO Cloud Mining - don't risk preorders, mine & trade now!
༺ ☤ Curecoin - Fold Proteins, Earn Coins! ☤   CURE: B8cjEuGKH3qofsxGGEVYdTwUrpfCTxQP7u ༻
Gazza1 (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 01:45:56 AM
Last edit: January 20, 2014, 08:27:03 AM by Gazza1

Exactly, that is my point. Why do you want to use the mining rig to do anything anyway. You are wasting hashing power when you use it.  Roll Eyes

Never mind, I guess no one can stop you from doing this not so good habit.  Smiley

As said before the question was relevant in the way to make sure we hadn't done anything wrong.  I appreciate your help in the other thread but you are acting like a dick in this one.  So knock off your sarcasym or take a hike.  I'm not a moron and as I said I don't do anything on my mining rigs other than mining, apparently you can't read.

Thanks other guys for your non judgmental help  Cool

Kenshin

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 01:52:18 AM

I appreciate your help in the other thread but you are acting like a dick in this one.  So knock off your sarcasym or take a hike.  I'm not a moron and as I said I don't plan to do anything on my mining rigs other than mining, apparently you can't read.

Thanks other guys for your non judgmental help  Cool

When did I judge you? Why are you calling me a dick for? I have also help you in this thread. This name calling is uncalled for.  Tongue
tum0r

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 02:01:15 AM

I appreciate your help in the other thread but you are acting like a dick in this one.  So knock off your sarcasym or take a hike.  I'm not a moron and as I said I don't plan to do anything on my mining rigs other than mining, apparently you can't read.

When did I judge you? Why are you calling me a dick for? I have also help you in this thread. This name calling is uncalled for.  Tongue
Hahaha. Damn... just reading this post. THEN BANG. Op gets all jersy shore on you..hehe.. and for no apparent reason.
I got ur back bro.
Kenshin

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 02:40:12 AM

Hahaha. Damn... just reading this post. THEN BANG. Op gets all jersy shore on you..hehe.. and for no apparent reason.
I got ur back bro.

That is what I mean, this is a friendly forum. If I want to act like a dick will I bother to help him?? What a strange world we live in.  Grin
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 02:55:15 AM

same as other rigs, I 13.

There are plenty of reasons for needing to get in the rig at times while mining.  it's not like I plan to transcode videos or play games on it. come on now...

The mouse cursor graphic might be using GPU resources on Linux, I'm not sure. If so, it will be laggy, because the GPU is being eaten up by the mining. Just depends on how the mouse cursor is programmed on your box.
matt4054
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1035

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:06:22 AM

Also keep this in mind (cgminer README):

--intensity|-I <arg> Intensity of GPU scanning (d or -10 -> 10, default: d to maintain desktop interactivity)

So keeping a responsive GUI is not expected behavior when using -I 13, even though the mouse pointer may keep more responsive of Windows. I have dozens of rigs running Win7 and the mouse pointer is indeed never laggy, but all the rest of the system is, i.e. 1500 ms average click-to-action response time (although I admit it's generally more with -I 18+ than 13).
Scyntech

Activity: 349

“Blockchain Just Entered The Real World”

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:12:06 AM

Sent you a PM Gazza1, not sure if the info will help any.

███████████████████████
     ███▄ ▄▄▄▄   ▄▄▄█▀▀  █████
    ███  █▀  ▀█▀▀▀       ▐█ ███
   ███  ▄██▄▄█▀▄▄▄        █▌ ███
  ███ ▄█▀  █     ▀█▄▄     ▐█  ▐██
 ███▄█▀    █        ▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄ ██
████▀      █           ▀██▀   ▀█ ██
 ██▀█▄     █          ▄█▀▀█▄▄▄█▀██
  ██ ▀█▄   █      ▄▄█▀▀    ▐█  ██
   ██  ▀█▄█▀▀█▄▄█▀▀        █▌ ██
    ███  █▄  ▄█▀█▄▄▄      █▌███
     ███  ▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀█▄▄▐████
      ███████████████████████

▄▄       ▄▄▄        ▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄ 
  ▀█▄   ▄█▀ ▀█▄    ▄█▀ ▄█▀▀   ▀▀█▄
    ▀█▄█▀     ▀█▄▄█▀  ▐█         █▌
    ▄█▀█▄      ▄█▀    ▐█         █▌
  ▄█▀   ▀█▄  ▄█▀       █▄       ▄█
▄█▀       ▀██▀          ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀

Network
BLOCKCHAIN JUST ENTERED THE REAL WORLD
  Decentralized Crypto-Location Oracle Network
GET WHITELISTED FOR TOKEN SALE ( Limited )

WHITE PAPER  ││  ANN Thread  Telegram   Medium   Twitter   Reddit
Kenshin

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:14:15 AM

Sent you a PM Gazza1, not sure if the info will help any.

Are you teaching him some secret techniques? Why don't you post the info here, so we can all learn something.  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: