Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:57:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do people play Minecraft?  (Read 5630 times)
nimda

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 11:30:44 PM

Minecraft is not a game whose appeal can be described in simple rhetoric.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
quasarbtc

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 06:09:15 AM

I've always wondered this to myself.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 10:51:15 AM

If anyone needs cheap Minecraft accounts, just send me a PM.
All fresh from cracker.

Minecraft is like Runescape 3D.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 11:16:36 AM

I for one don't play Minecraft. I prefer Dwarf Fortress. Wink

Minecraft is your old-new digital lego. Though it's get boring after a while, if you play alone.

If Minecraft is a digital Lego set, DF is a digital ant colony. Well, if your ants were drunken, bearded assholes that occasionally went crazy and killed all the other ants. I can't stand the original graphics, though.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Ivica

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

Firstbits: 19e3fc

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 12:54:07 PM

If Minecraft is a digital Lego set, DF is a digital ant colony. Well, if your ants were drunken, bearded assholes that occasionally went crazy and killed all the other ants. I can't stand the original graphics, though.

I don't use original graphics set, Mayday or Ironhand graphics packs are way to go. Though DF still has long way before ver 1.0. But the feature list is enormous. Grin
P.s. if someone lacks sounds, you may also get "Soundsense".

@Ivica omg omg omg omg damn you. I want to steal that avatar idea SOO BAD. Was it your own design if I might ask? For mine I might do something like this:

No, it's not my design. Just spend a hour with gimp and you may get your own avatar with a moving picture (gif) from video you mentioned. Smiley

19e3fcoLTu8YVFAU1NywJ88YnHH5kF8ScP - donations are welcome.
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 01:39:01 PM

Minecraft is not a game whose appeal can be described in simple rhetoric.

I feel the same way. It's not about the graphics...it's about the creativity. I can defy physics and build whatever the hell I want. I got bored once and built a giant penis tower that had a lava moat and a tree on the head. And if you traveled into the testicles you'd find a portal to the netherworld.
What other game would allow you to do all that ridiculous stuff!!?!?

Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 04:23:27 PM
Last edit: October 01, 2012, 04:33:46 PM by Vandroiy

Assembling a group of people to build something cool in coop... is cool. The game's not perfect by any means, still it ranks pretty high, can't think of any recent game I liked better.

Some of the things we built:

• Strong room with timed key combination and piston construction to move a 4x4 security gate into the wall
  • Railway system through Skylands, complete with automated train station, automatic gates, timed stops, and all those little gimmicks
  • Hidden arrays of rapid-fire arrow dispensers. The trolls love doing that: pistons open up innocent-looking earth, thousands of arrows make the landscape furry seconds later.
  • Automated monster spawners and killers for XP (Survival mode)
  • Chicken-powered timer loops Huh Okay, that doesn't really work, but it looked funny.
  • ROM, transistors, and some of the more fancy logic devices
  • Labyrinth with riddles inside
  • Pointless buildings with red buttons. DO NOT PRESS. Sometimes, obsidian parts remain. Tongue
  • Large Skyland castle which I'll not bother to list all parts of
  • A controlled railway system with a redstone torch display that shows the current routing
  • RANDOM SUPER NINTENDO PIXEL ART
  • A stage with a Deus Ex Machina to make people appear where there's no exit visible
  • I like building bridges. With layers of arches, for water and rail and stuff. Cool
  • Terraforming! Voxelsnipered a 100-height mountain range with a temple inside, river coming down from it with a large waterfall, little hot springs in the snow on the top. Smiley
  • Yin-Yang disks. MAY IT BE AS THE PATTERN'S CHOSEN, OH WHEEL OF TI... *coughs*
  • While we're at that, someone scripted Waygates. And Stargates. Admittedly awkward on the same map, but still awesome. Cool
  • Proud when people notice architecture ideas are stolen from Fate of Atlantis! Grin

I admit most of that is sitting there unfinished, or just made to never be finished. But even a construction site can look awesome. Tongue I'd show pics, but the modded-to-death creative server with the big structures is offline and a survival one running instead. And we're all too lazy to fix the big one atm. Oh well.

Bottom line, it's just awesome fun to build stuff. Normal games get boring quickly, 'cause you've soon seen everything. Games like SupCom or Anno allow to scale up a bit, and that makes them cool. Oh, I remember our 1404 empire, "Yamanote Sen" is now a ship transportation ring! Grin But they too just max out. Minecraft holds for a bit longer by supplying a world of practically infinite size and very basic building blocks.

I won't deny the Lego link. Same group that was on the server built a Lego cathedral a few years back. Maybe you just gotta like that sort of thing to like Minecraft.

So, uhm, why do people play Counterstrike? Huh
NestEggNessy

Activity: 94

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 04:32:27 PM

Its definitely popular for the same reasons why EVE: online and DayZ are popular. You're playing in a massive sandbox where there are no definite rules and you can make your own game out of it. Its the idea of ultimate freedom that makes it so massively popular.

In EVE you can be a pirate, a space technician, a space trucker, a spy, a troll, a bounty collector, a diplomat and etc without ever having to change some skill set or characters. Its all based on your personal imagination and intellect.

In DayZ you can create your own survival story as a bandit, survivor or hero and do whatever you want with your story without ever bowing down to some quest master. Or you can bow down to a human squad leader from a bandit squad developed itself with no clan system of any kind doing missions that are only relevant to that moment.

In minecraft you can create your own world and environment. You can choose exactly how the aesthetics of the game will look like and form anything you can imagine. You can create a town with banks, hospitals and police stations or you can build a massive castle adjacent to another equally massive castle and have wars. Or you can escape to the wilderness and build a small hut that leads to an a massively majestic underground mining city full of redstone contraptions and railways.

Send tips/spare change/payment for crazy videos over here 1FCFaPA6XESaQnJNVYYy458HLa44N3Lxth
Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 04:50:05 PM

So, uhm, why do people play Counterstrike? Huh

Coming from an experienced CS player, we play so we can scream "BOOM, HEADSHOT" into our mics.

kuzetsa

Activity: 369
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 07:03:08 PM

Its definitely popular for the same reasons why EVE: online and DayZ are popular. You're playing in a massive sandbox where there are no definite rules and you can make your own game out of it. Its the idea of ultimate freedom that makes it so massively popular.

In EVE you can be a pirate, a space technician, a space trucker, a spy, a troll, a bounty collector, a diplomat and etc without ever having to change some skill set or characters. Its all based on your personal imagination and intellect.

((...snip...))

oh neat. I know a lot of people who play eve, but never really thought to compare it to minecraft. I've played eve myself, just can't really justify to myself spending ~150 USD or so per year on it when I could instead use it for travel expenses to take a round-trip bus somewhere in meatspace or get a BFL jalapeno or something.
yrtrnc

Activity: 605

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 07:40:00 PM

Shocked What is minecraft?
Korbman
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 08:15:38 PM

It's a game where you craft mines...

yrtrnc

Activity: 605

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 08:28:21 PM

AHA,,, shud of thought of this one meself!!! After all, it makes total sense.
myrkul

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 08:31:47 PM

AHA,,, shud of thought of this one meself!!! After all, it makes total sense.

And it's actually pretty accurate, so far as it goes... The official site says it even better: Minecraft is a game about placing blocks to build anything you can imagine. At night monsters come out, make sure to build a shelter before that happens. It also has music by C418!

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
tonto

Activity: 609

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 09:48:26 PM

I for one don't play Minecraft. I prefer Dwarf Fortress. Wink

Minecraft is your old-new digital lego. Though it's get boring after a while, if you play alone.

I apparently suck at Dwarf Fortress.  My dwarves don't last long Sad
Maidak
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1058

The OGz Club

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 10:08:36 PM

To release the inner artist in everyone. Cheesy I played it for a little bit on xbox but realized its just not my style yet i've heard PC version is alot better.

.The OGz Club.▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
████████████▀███▀████████████
██████████████▀█▀██████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄████████████
██████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████████▀
......The 1st & Only #MemeFi Project......
Website   ◢ Reddit   ◢ Telegram   ◢ Twitter   ◢ TikTok   ◢ Facebook

██████    ██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████
       ▄▄▄██▄▄▄
    ▄███████████▄
    █████████████▄
   ███████████████
▄█████████████████▄
▀▀▀▀█████████████▀██
    ▀█████████████▄
    ▄▀█████████████▄
   █▀ ▀▀▀██████████▌
▐███    ▄█████████▀▀
 ▀▀     ▄█████▀▀
       ███▀▀
      ██▀

██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
legolouman

Activity: 504

Decent Programmer to boot!

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 12:07:20 AM

To release the inner artist in everyone. Cheesy I played it for a little bit on xbox but realized its just not my style yet i've heard PC version is alot better.

It is better on the computer. The game runs a bit better.

If you love me, you'd give me a Satoshi!
BTC - 1MSzGKh5znbrcEF2qTrtrWBm4ydH5eT49f
LTC - LYeJrmYQQvt6gRQxrDz66XTwtkdodx9udz
caffeinewriter

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 03:31:15 PM

It'd be awesome if you could buy Minecraft with Bitcoin. Smiley

drakahn

Activity: 504

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 11:39:52 PM

I stopped playing it when I bought the 'real' version and it ... well sucked balls, I just want to build so it was a total waste

Before i stopped i made these, http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1444930370086.2061135.1437953884&type=3 ... I like optimus prime and gumby the most.

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
claire

Activity: 98

Capitalism rocks my world.

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 11:45:20 PM

I'd like minecraft better if you could save what you build on your own machine. I like Roblox, but still I think you need to pay monthly to build more than 1 place. It's fun to build stuff and blow it up especially when others are visiting the place and they have no clue what is going to happen. kaboom!

I Love Bitcoin Smiley 1A5jmQcmZamhTeHaEZvtMEpoqrH2SECcxk
Phone Domination 888-221-0319
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: