Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 01:09:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Relocating to NY  (Read 494 times)
jokerrj (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 08:30:46 PM

Hey guys, I need some advice. I'm from Brazil and I need to relocate to NY June/July this year. I need a place to live where I can take my wife and two Cats Cheesy Is there anyone here that could give me some good advice about how to find it and what is cheap or expensive there?  It also can be a house or an apartment and it can be near NY boarder in NJ.

Help, Please?

Grin

Looking for a long term signature campaign. Pm me
Frost000

Activity: 168

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 09:31:33 PM

By NY, are you referring to New York State or New York City? That can dramatically change the answers in the thread.

As for where to live, it really depends on how much you can afford per month. Sorry if my assumptions are wrong, but I'll go ahead and assume that you can't afford to live in Manhattan itself. I'll also assume that you would much, much prefer to not live with roommates.

If that's the case, I'd suggest looking into Brooklyn/Williamsburg. The area is not the cheapest you can get but depending on where you go exactly, it can actually be pretty nice. If you get an apartment near a subway station, you also have easy access to Manhattan/NYC.

Also, I'd forget the notion of a house, unless you want to have a couple of roommates... Smiley

Let us know more about your financials and maybe neighborhood preferences (have you ever visited NYC before/) and I'm sure other users can give you suggestions as well.

Either way, good luck on the move! Consider me jealous!
jokerrj (OP)

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 10:42:39 PM

By NY, are you referring to New York State or New York City? That can dramatically change the answers in the thread.

As for where to live, it really depends on how much you can afford per month. Sorry if my assumptions are wrong, but I'll go ahead and assume that you can't afford to live in Manhattan itself. I'll also assume that you would much, much prefer to not live with roommates.

If that's the case, I'd suggest looking into Brooklyn/Williamsburg. The area is not the cheapest you can get but depending on where you go exactly, it can actually be pretty nice. If you get an apartment near a subway station, you also have easy access to Manhattan/NYC.

Also, I'd forget the notion of a house, unless you want to have a couple of roommates... Smiley

Let us know more about your financials and maybe neighborhood preferences (have you ever visited NYC before/) and I'm sure other users can give you suggestions as well.

Either way, good luck on the move! Consider me jealous!

Sorry for the lack of information.    

I mean the state, it can even be close to NJ or in NJ close to NY border.  I don't wanna share a house or a room unless it turns to be extremely necessary.   I'm thinking about spending U$1500 monthly with living costs since I'll keep my Brazilian paycheck what is very short compared to USA.      About neighborhood I cant chose since I don't know very much about the place, I've been to NY once for 15 days and I was with a couple of friends but we didn't have the time to look for places to live, this friends live in a good house in Suffern area, but things there are just to expensive to afford. So, the kinda neighborhood I want is the kind where my wife can go to her school alone without risks.

Hey man, don't be jealous, where are you from? I'm from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and I don't like here, I thing it's a matter of places where we were born. There are many people wishing to come here and I'm wishing to leave Smiley So, I think we might be at the same page here, isn't it?

Thnaks

*EDIT   Oh, I forgot about the electricity bill, as a miner, it matters a lot Smiley How much is the KW/h in NY State?

Frost000

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 12:08:20 AM

Sorry for the lack of information.    

I mean the state, it can even be close to NJ or in NJ close to NY border.  I don't wanna share a house or a room unless it turns to be extremely necessary.   I'm thinking about spending U$1500 monthly with living costs since I'll keep my Brazilian paycheck what is very short compared to USA.      About neighborhood I cant chose since I don't know very much about the place, I've been to NY once for 15 days and I was with a couple of friends but we didn't have the time to look for places to live, this friends live in a good house in Suffern area, but things there are just to expensive to afford. So, the kinda neighborhood I want is the kind where my wife can go to her school alone without risks.

Hey man, don't be jealous, where are you from? I'm from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and I don't like here, I thing it's a matter of places where we were born. There are many people wishing to come here and I'm wishing to leave Smiley So, I think we might be at the same page here, isn't it?

Thnaks

*EDIT   Oh, I forgot about the electricity bill, as a miner, it matters a lot Smiley How much is the KW/h in NY State?

No worries! I'm living in Montreal right now but am planning to move soon enough.

As for NY state, I'm not as knowledgeable as I'd like to be, but $1500 for rent AND living expenses for the both of you is not much at all. I hope you like eating ramen!

I think it might be worth looking into sharing an apartment with maybe another couple or something...
Speaker

Activity: 154

Veronica <333

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 01:15:00 AM

1500$ a month?

Do you wanna bear near the city?
DodoB

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 02:49:04 PM

Dont move the NY,its going to cost you  A LOT of money,maybe you can live im some far suburb,but new york would be expensive,specialy for brazilians.
jokerrj (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 09:06:18 PM

No worries! I'm living in Montreal right now but am planning to move soon enough.

As for NY state, I'm not as knowledgeable as I'd like to be, but $1500 for rent AND living expenses for the both of you is not much at all. I hope you like eating ramen!

I think it might be worth looking into sharing an apartment with maybe another couple or something...

I could find some places and it is not costing a lot, if I only stay during the winter. Almost all of the places I've called have only short term rests because during the rents skyrocket so they prefer to rent during this season, of course.

sharing is a bit hard because we have cats and it's hard to find a place that allow cats would be even harder to find people that would live with others people cats.   

I do Like Ramen Cheesy

1500$ a month?

Do you wanna bear near the city?

It doesn't have to be exactly near, it can be in a place where I can easily come and go to the city. My wife is probably going to school there so it can't be a long trip.

Dont move the NY,its going to cost you  A LOT of money,maybe you can live im some far suburb,but new york would be expensive,specialy for brazilians.

When you say that, can you suggest me anywhere to look?

Thanks everybody Smiley

Speaker

Activity: 154

Veronica <333

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 04:20:33 AM

Cliffside Park and the surrounding areas. You can probably rent something out in Hoboken as well but its expensive.

I think Cliffside Park has a small Brazilian community as well.

Basically here what you want

Yonkers, Hudson + Bergen county of New Jersey, or Long Island.
Todamont

Activity: 604
Merit: 273

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 06:03:56 AM

You can move outside the city and live for $1500. Not many people realize, but NY is mostly farmland. You can get cheap houses out in the boonies upstate. It's like a 3 hour trainride into NYC from Albany.
jokerrj (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 04:39:36 PM

Cliffside Park and the surrounding areas. You can probably rent something out in Hoboken as well but its expensive.

I think Cliffside Park has a small Brazilian community as well.

Basically here what you want

Yonkers, Hudson + Bergen county of New Jersey, or Long Island.

Thanks a lot, the prices seems better there and also the places.

You can move outside the city and live for $1500. Not many people realize, but NY is mostly farmland. You can get cheap houses out in the boonies upstate. It's like a 3 hour trainride into NYC from Albany.
Thank you so much too, I tried some places upstate but the thing is we spend to much time to ge in the city an my wife is applying to NYCU so we can't stay too far Smiley

Frost000

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 06:28:30 PM

Just keep in mind that if you plan on mining with your hardware, electricity IS fairly expensive... At least enough to influence your budget. I'm not quite sure what the rates are, but it's not cheap.
undeadbitcoiner

Activity: 896
Merit: 272

Undeadbitcoiner Will not DIE until 1BTC=50K

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 06:45:29 PM

If you are thinking to move to NY and wanna cheap as well as safe and near to city then i will suggest you to Long Island, If you need any help near this location PM or reply here. Welcome
Dont worry about anything, but let me ask you about your mining preferences
how much you are expecting to earn? (According to your earning depends your electricty cost.)
You can get 1 Apartment from 1K to 2K (Normally) it depends how flexible you want?
Note: your monthly living cost depends on Your lifestyle

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: