Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:34:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can each new coin have random properties?  (Read 188 times)
Snappeer (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 12:10:04 PM
Last edit: May 24, 2018, 12:39:13 PM by Snappeer

Hello,

I'm familiarizing myself with blockchain and cryptocurrencies.
I was wondering if from a technical perspective it would be possible that when a new coin gets mined, it would be possible that it receives random properties that are saved within the coin?

I've had the idea to use blockchain and/or cryptocurrencies to create some kind of virtual card game, like magic the gathering or Blizzards Heart Stone. Each coin/token would represent a card, and within each coin/token, additional information would be saved that will be generated when the coin is mined and can not be modified, which would represent the cards attributes.

From a technical perspective, is that even possible to store fixed random properties within a coin/token?
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2018, 12:31:00 PM

I was wondering if from a technical perspective it would be possible that when a new coin gets mined, it would be possible that it receives random properties that are saved within the coin?

Theoretically you might be able to implement such a system. At least pseudo-randomness.

But there hasn't been any kind of such an project yet. Simply because there is no need for something like that. 

I've had the idea to use blockchain and/or cryptocurrencies to create some kind of virtual card game, like might the gathering or Blizzards Heart Stone. Each coin/token would represent a card, and within each coin/token, additional information would be saved that will be generated when the coin is mined and can not be modified, which would represent the cards attributes.

The easiest (and most convinient) would be to create a dapp on ethereum.
You don't really need to create a new currency/blockchain. An simple application should fit all of your needs.
You can look at the source code of cryptokitties (https://etherscan.io/address/0x06012c8cf97bead5deae237070f9587f8e7a266d#code). This might help you a bit.

Marlo Stanfield

Activity: 490
Merit: 280

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 01:06:58 PM

Hello,

I've had the idea to use blockchain and/or cryptocurrencies to create some kind of virtual card game, like magic the gathering or Blizzards Heart Stone. Each coin/token would represent a card, and within each coin/token, additional information would be saved that will be generated when the coin is mined and can not be modified, which would represent the cards attributes.

From a technical perspective, is that even possible to store fixed random properties within a coin/token?

Someone could correctly if I'm wrong or over simplifying it, but it sounds like it would be possible to do something like that by using the block hash as a pseudo-RNG.

But if it were a game you'd be setting the ranges yourself beforehand so you would have to hard code that part.

Originally this type of idea was implemented as a way to gamble with Bitcoin back in 2012 with Satoshidice. Although they were just using the hash to settle the bets, not creating cards or tokens.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 05:05:47 PM

What you are suggesting is possible, but it is probably not feasible or even useful.

However, Take a look a cryptokitties. It is similar to what you are suggesting.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Stonetium

Activity: 61
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 10:24:44 PM

Hello,

Yes, cryptokitties and a lot of "trading style" apps are coming around
robresno

Activity: 24
Merit: 6

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2018, 01:11:14 PM

You could use the OP_RETURN operation in your pubkey script. It gives you 80 bytes of free data to save a random number with each coin.
Code:
Script script = new ScriptBuilder().op(ScriptOpCodes.OP_RETURN).data("RANDOM NUMBER".getBytes()).build();
                tx.addOutput(Transaction.MIN_NONDUST_OUTPUT, script);
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: