Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:02:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: XFX 7950 Double D Caught on Fire  (Read 2287 times)
PeerMedia (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:08:50 AM
Last edit: January 19, 2014, 03:33:22 AM by PeerMedia

I have a small LTC rig with 2 XFX Double D 7950's (Black Edition), they run at 81c, slightly overclocked but runs well with an external fan. Great hash rate for a 7950, 730k/card. I came home on Friday to find my rig off. Not sure why (wasn't a power failure), so I went to turn the rig back on and bam, fire started in one of my 7950's. I turned off the power immediately and blew on the GPU until it went out. Scary as hell.

After I let things cool off, I wasn't able to turn on the rig, I was able to restore it when I removed the GPU that caught on fire. The other GPU seems ok, has anyone experienced something like this? I'm petrified to mine again if another fire happened when I'm not home. I have no explanation what happened or how it would catch on fire from turning the power on.

I realize XFX doesn't have a great reputation among miners but I'm stuck on what to possibly do.

Rig specs:
2 XFX Double D, 7950 (Black Edition)
1000W Gold PSU
ASRock Extreme 4
4 GB RAM

Anyone have advice?
Scyntech

Activity: 349
Merit: 250

“Blockchain Just Entered The Real World”

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:21:43 AM

anything over 75c isn't good. That said, it very well may have been a faulty card. XFX I understand are not great at mining, but they are good gaming cards. I'd suggest dropping your OC a little and play around with the mining program settings and see how high you can get you hash rate up without going over 75c. Also you NEED proper cooling if your going OC and do the normal cleaning...dust and such.

███████████████████████
     ███▄ ▄▄▄▄   ▄▄▄█▀▀  █████
    ███  █▀  ▀█▀▀▀       ▐█ ███
   ███  ▄██▄▄█▀▄▄▄        █▌ ███
  ███ ▄█▀  █     ▀█▄▄     ▐█  ▐██
 ███▄█▀    █        ▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄ ██
████▀      █           ▀██▀   ▀█ ██
 ██▀█▄     █          ▄█▀▀█▄▄▄█▀██
  ██ ▀█▄   █      ▄▄█▀▀    ▐█  ██
   ██  ▀█▄█▀▀█▄▄█▀▀        █▌ ██
    ███  █▄  ▄█▀█▄▄▄      █▌███
     ███  ▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀█▄▄▐████
      ███████████████████████

▄▄       ▄▄▄        ▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄ 
  ▀█▄   ▄█▀ ▀█▄    ▄█▀ ▄█▀▀   ▀▀█▄
    ▀█▄█▀     ▀█▄▄█▀  ▐█         █▌
    ▄█▀█▄      ▄█▀    ▐█         █▌
  ▄█▀   ▀█▄  ▄█▀       █▄       ▄█
▄█▀       ▀██▀          ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀

Network
BLOCKCHAIN JUST ENTERED THE REAL WORLD
  Decentralized Crypto-Location Oracle Network
GET WHITELISTED FOR TOKEN SALE ( Limited )

WHITE PAPER  ││  ANN Thread  Telegram   Medium   Twitter   Reddit
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:22:22 AM

I have a small LTC rig with 2 XFX Double D 7950's (Black Edition), they run at 81c, slightly overclocked but runs well with an external fan. Great hash rate for a 7950, 730k/card. I came home on Friday to find my rig off. Not sure why (wasn't a power failure), so I went to turn the rig back on and bam, fire started in one of my 7950's. I turned off the power immediately and blew on the GPU until it went out. Scary as hell.

After I let things cool off, I wasn't able to turn on the rig, I was able to restore it when I removed the GPU that caught on fire. Clearly the GPU is fried, the other GPU seems ok, has anyone experienced something like this? Even if I can RMA this GPU, I'm petrified to mine again if another fire happened when I'm not home. I have no explanation what happened or how it would catch on fire from turning the power on.

I realize XFX doesn't have a great reputation among miners but I'm stuck on what to possibly do.

Rig specs:
2 XFX Double D, 7950 (Black Edition)
1 1000W Rosewill Gold PSU
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
4 GB G.Skill DDR3 RAM

Anyone have advice?

Its always a possibility when running electrical devices "hot". Strange it happened just when you turned the device on though. No idea why that would happen .... probably result of previous mining session. Did you ever measure card temperatures before the "big bang"?
PeerMedia (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:31:21 AM

I cannot for the life of me get the temperature lower than 80c even with an industrial fan (identical temperatures without or with the fan). I always assumed their temperature was calculated by fan RPMs and not actually measured at the source.

I've backed off on intensity and OC a bit on the other GPU but temperature is still 79c, not much cooler.
Scyntech

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:34:21 AM

I cannot for the life of me get the temperature lower than 80c even with an industrial fan (identical temperatures without or with the fan). I always assumed their temperature was calculated by fan RPMs and not actually measured at the source.

I've backed off on intensity and OC a bit on the 1 GPU that hasn't fried but temperature is still 79c, not much cooler.

It's possible the crappy thermal paste (most companies) they use needs to be replaced OR the heatsink fins are dirty. How hot does it run at idle?

███████████████████████
      ███████████████████████

Network

PeerMedia (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:45:53 AM

I've backed off on intensity and OC a bit on the 1 GPU that hasn't fried but temperature is still 79c, not much cooler.

It's possible the crappy thermal paste (most companies) they use needs to be replaced OR the heatsink fins are dirty. How hot does it run at idle?

I don't have many ways to check the temps other than the first reading when starting cgminer, in this case its around 40c. The GPU's were just 5 weeks old, very clean room, no dust, no pets. I also wanted to add that my rig is in a milk crate and very well spaced out with risers.
Scyntech

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:49:23 AM

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm MSI Afterburner. That will tell you the temps. If those are only 5 weeks old. RMA them, you shouldn't be having these issues.

███████████████████████
      ███████████████████████

Network

PeerMedia (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:54:50 AM

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm MSI Afterburner. That will tell you the temps. If those are only 5 weeks old. RMA them, you shouldn't be having these issues.

I'm on Xubuntu so MSI won't work (I think?)
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:54:53 AM

Yep, you defininitely need to measure the temp whilst running. Then you will know at what stage things start to go wrong.
Scyntech

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 04:11:05 AM

I've never used Ubuntu, quick Google search here https://www.google.com/search?q=Xubuntu&oq=Xubuntu&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=ubuntu+gpu+temp+monitor&safe=off

I don't think MSI has a temp monitor for Ubuntu

███████████████████████
      ███████████████████████

Network

empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 04:12:33 AM

I've never used Ubuntu, quick Google search here https://www.google.com/search?q=Xubuntu&oq=Xubuntu&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=ubuntu+gpu+temp+monitor&safe=off

There's a serious issue. How can you run a rig without monitoring temp? Scary stuff....
Scyntech

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 04:17:43 AM

There's a serious issue. How can you run a rig without monitoring temp? Scary stuff....

Agreed, I've seen guys lose $1500+ gaming rigs because of either hardware failures or improper overclocking. I've killed a few Opteron(s) in my day  Tongue

███████████████████████
      ███████████████████████

Network

PeerMedia (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 04:22:28 AM

CGMiner has temperature monitoring through aticonfig and I setup cgminer temps to 80 (target), 83 (overheat), 85 (shutoff). It never exceeded 82c while running and I regularly monitor temps.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 04:28:41 AM

Agreed, I've seen guys lose $1500+ gaming rigs because of either hardware failures or improper overclocking. I've killed a few Opteron(s) in my day  Tongue

I'm still wondering why it caught fire when the OP turned it back on though. I suppose something got fried when he was out, and the system luckily cut out instead of catching on fire then. I think the OP got off very lucky. He could have come back to a shell of a house.
PeerMedia (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 04:30:46 AM

anything over 75c isn't good. That said, it very well may have been a faulty card. XFX I understand are not great at mining, but they are good gaming cards. I'd suggest dropping your OC a little and play around with the mining program settings and see how high you can get you hash rate up without going over 75c. Also you NEED proper cooling if your going OC and do the normal cleaning...dust and such.

I've cut all OC out and running at stock settings, its running at 79c with the external fan, saved just 2 degrees by not OC'ing and lost 100kh/s.
Scyntech

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 04:33:01 AM

CGMiner has temperature monitoring through aticonfig and I setup cgminer temps to 80 (target), 83 (overheat), 85 (shutoff). It never exceeded 82c while running and I regularly monitor temps.

Do some research on your cards. See if those have general heat/overheating issues.

My 7850 is OC'ed from 860Mh/z to 1100Mh/z core and 1200Mh/z to 1350 Mh/z Mem. At 99% load I never reach 76c with a 2% increase in voltage. It's also fan cooled, I have two fans on the back pulling air out of the case. Two on the side and two in front pushing air in.

I know XFX and a few off brands run hot, but that doesn't me ALL XFX cards will have heat issues.

███████████████████████
      ███████████████████████

Network

Scyntech

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 04:40:17 AM

Kind of what I thought

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1700706

there are a number of threads of people asking about high temps with the same card you have. Reviews show it should be running at much lower temps. Thinking you got a couple of cards from a bad batch. It does happen.

███████████████████████
      ███████████████████████

Network

Gator-hex

Activity: 490

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 11:22:28 AM

The other GPU seems ok, has anyone experienced something like this? I'm petrified to mine again if another fire happened when I'm not home.

Fires are caused by dust balls building up in the PSU, CPU and GPU heatsink and fans. Buy a can of compressed air and clean them out once a month. Put a smoke alarm near your equipment and never place equipment where fire can spread, near curtains etc.

empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 11:27:10 AM

The other GPU seems ok, has anyone experienced something like this? I'm petrified to mine again if another fire happened when I'm not home.

Fires are caused by dust balls building up in the PSU, CPU and GPU heatsink and fans. Buy a can of compressed air and clean them out once a month. Put a smoke alarm near your equipment and never place equipment where fire can spread, near curtains etc.

Great advice. Is there any material you can "surround" your rig with to prevent fire spreading should it start? Also think about what your rig is standing on e.g. not a carpet that is going to catch fire.
Gator-hex

Activity: 490

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 11:35:32 AM
Last edit: January 19, 2014, 11:53:39 AM by Gator-hex

Great advice. Is there any material you can "surround" your rig with to prevent fire spreading should it start? Also think about what your rig is standing on e.g. not a carpet that is going to catch fire.

Cooking tin foil is a good heat/fire retardant shiney side facing the fire source. It's also a good conductor of electrcity though so be careful not to put it in contact with anything electrical. You can also get fire retardant paints but it's not as cheap as tin foil.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: