Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:45:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 LTC BOUNTY: Need help with R9 290 miner  (Read 1057 times)
pilotchup (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 06:17:57 AM

Hello,

Long time viewer of this forum, first time posting. I have spent weeks working on this miner I have been trying to make work... it is a headache to say the least.

Hardware:
MSI 990FXA-GD80
Sempron 145
8GB ram
SSD
3x 850W Corsair RM PSUs
16x to 1x powered usb 3.0 risers (awesome)
6x R9 290s reference cards

It has been a lot to get to this point, but now no matter what I try nothing works. I am finally able to get 5 cards detected and mining great in xubuntu, but when I add the 6th card the OS wont even boot. It just is a black screen with a blinking white cursor in the top left. Doesnt matter which 5 cards are plugged in, they work.. but no matter which card I add as the 6th it does not work. Using latest AMD driver, 3.7.2 cgminer. Works great with 5 gpus. Won't boot with 6.

Tried disabling USB 3.0, Firewire, Audio in bios, doesn't do anything. Tried 13.10 xubuntu and 12.04 and 13.04. Tried different versions of AMD drivers. Its not a power issue. This is just so frustrating! Don't know what to try. If you can get me with this 6 one working, I will GLADLY give the bounty. I might even kiss you.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Scrilla

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 06:31:35 AM

I couldn't get all my cards running on Windows, so I used BAMT booted off of a usb flash drive and it worked. Try it. Otherwise, it might be a power issue. What is your auxiliary power on your mobo (Ex: one 6 pin, 8 pin, 8+4, etc.)?  Are you using powered or un-powered risers?
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 08:14:10 AM

I don't care about the bounty, but I had to give my opinion when I saw "headaches" and "frustation".

My suggestion: give up. It's not worth it to keep banging one's head against the wall. Either return one card, or buy another base system and 4 more cards, even 270x's.

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
pilotchup (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 10:20:47 PM

To Scrilla:

Tried BAMT, its a no go. Windows didn't work either, cant get more than 4 cards in that. Its definitely not a power issue, I have 3x 850 with not more than 750 on one PSU, and I have a dedicated 50A breaker. Aux power on mobo is 8 pin and yes I am using powered risers.

To Wipeout2097:

I have thought about that as a last resort, but I just have made a frame that took a long long time that is very nice and takes 6 cards. After so much time invested in this, I really want to see 6 cards work and I know its been done. I have 6 7950s working great, but these r9 290s make no sense.

I am thinking about buying a different motherboard than the MSI 990FXA-GD80 I am using. I am thinking of getting the MSI z77a-GD65 and getting an intel processor (not sure which one I need yet though, I know I read something somewhere that it needs to be an Ivy Bridge but I have been out of the loop on the latest intel processors for a while now). I think that might solve this problem but who knows ><
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: