Bitcoin Forum
August 12, 2024, 07:22:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First litecoin rig without risers  (Read 897 times)
jwray (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 07:35:31 AM

So I've been mining litecoin on my main PC for a while and now I'm putting together a second rig which is solely for litecoin mining.  I got the cheapest case with 8 expansion slots, the cheapest 4 radeon 280x's, the cheapest mobo with room for 4 GPUs without risers, the cheapest AMD cpu, and the cheapest 80 plus gold 1600w power supply (I only need 1200w for 4x280x right now, but I'll have to swap out the GPUs eventually)   Planning on using a USB bootable linux distro that's specifically designed for litecoin mining.  The total hardware cost (excl. GPUs) per GPU slot works out to $162.   I know that overhead cost can't compete with the guys who are using 8 x1-x1 riser cables per mobo and multiple power supplies per mobo.   I was going to ask where to buy cheap premade frames that can hold 8 GPUs on risers but I answered my own question then looked up a bunch of other prices and decided it's not worth the trouble to save an extra $21 per GPU slot.  In conclusion, using real cases without risers is totally economically viable and gives me the piece of mind that my expensive GPUs are protected by a real case.  I just end up with 5% less kh per $.
paradigmflux

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

small fry

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 11:18:35 AM

lol
and a complete toaster
I've yet to find a case that wouldn't basically torch everything inside it with four GPU's running full-out
heck i'm using HP Z800 cases and they can just barely handle running two R9 270x GPU's in them.  And all of the optional fans are in there.

for 4-GPU and up configurations, I've heard either milk crates or just custom cases are the way to go.

---
NXT Multipool! Mine Scrypt, SHA, Keccak or X11 for NXT! http://hashrate.org
http://hashrate.org/getting_started for port info!
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1014

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 12:30:52 PM

visit this page when you want to do it right Smiley

http://www.cryptobadger.com/2013/04/build-a-litecoin-mining-rig-hardware/

CSM00

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 02:07:01 PM

There are cases that can handle 4x GPUs with proper airflow, but they run around $800.

Im using wire shelving cubes + zip ties and it work fine and has taken some solid bumps with no issues - a lot better than some cases Ive had.  Also lets you use a cheap house fan for cooling vs. relatively pricing electronics fans.

jwray (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 03:07:32 AM

lol
and a complete toaster
I've yet to find a case that wouldn't basically torch everything inside it with four GPU's running full-out
heck i'm using HP Z800 cases and they can just barely handle running two R9 270x GPU's in them.  And all of the optional fans are in there.

for 4-GPU and up configurations, I've heard either milk crates or just custom cases are the way to go.

HP z800 seriously?  That's an overpriced case designed for minimum noise not maximum cooling.  I had one of those at work.   A $99 Antec 900 would be better for a fraction of the price.  My gaming rig uses a $300 silverstone RV-02E which has some truly beastly airflow from 3x180mm fans with adjustable RPM.  It had no problem with 2xGTX580 running furmark with no gap between them.   Not that the case even matters that much when almost all GPUs are designed to exhaust all their hot air externally and nothing else is generating significant heat inside the case and all GPUs are designed to run at 80-90C 24/7.  I only get fancy cases for the benefit of CPU overclocking.
Caiapfas

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 03:09:20 AM

I run 3 r9's in a case. it works fine for me and never overheats

If you liked my post or found anything I said useful send some coffee change to
BTC = 3LxtsmCjRDPD6oYYwz31dwFJW9ktUy1Yuz
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: