Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 11:28:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on Bitsafe? By Butterfly Labs  (Read 2703 times)
virtcurnc

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 09:45:50 AM

Hardware doesn't necessarily mean any safer, especially if they do not implement the crypto properly (trying to get too fancy).
I can also see malware coming in by microsd (need to exploit backup process), malformed QR codes, etc...

Hopefully they get it right and make BTC available to those without computers or phones  Roll Eyes

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
thatbluedude

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 10:19:45 AM

this remindet me to check up on http://www.bitcoincard.org. Is the mycelium bitcoincard officially dead?
No. I am sitting right in front of the desk with the latest prototypes. We are working furiously on delivering the hardware, we are just not taking preorders when we don't KNOW when we are going to deliver.
I'm happy to hear that. could you post a short status update on the bitcoincard blog? the last entry is from May 2013.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 10:45:42 AM

You know, the reason these things are necessary is because ordinary phones are so incredibly insecure. So it's more the fault of companies not being able to create secure devices that gives rise to these sorts of devices.

That said, it seems hard to imagine them being able to sell these thing in volume. I've preordered 2 trezors that I am looking forward to, but ordinary people are not going to walk around with this sort of device.

I think more realistically we will end up with services like Coinbase that will act as an intermediary and 'secure' our transactions when working from mobile devices. I would be more comfortable working with something like Coinbase on my phone then an actual bitcoin wallet.

Not sure though. It's a good idea, I just wonder how in the future it will work. Bitcoin should be more convenient, but at the same time, that convenience has it's costs.

EDIT: To get around the security issue, why not just use an android tablet with connectivity (WIFI, Bluetooth, Cellular) removed?

more or less retired.
fryarminer

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 10:50:36 AM

I know a lot of people were/are pushed over the limit because of the delays of BFL shipping their hardware. I waited over a year for my stuff to arrive. But to be honest with you, I like their product. You get what you wait for. I have and have had many of all the different miners available on the web, and I find that the BFL miners are extremely stable in their operation. Maybe I just got lucky with the miners that I've been sent, but I would definitely purchase this hardware wallet as soon as it was available for shipping.

That being said... I wouldn't preorder though! haha!!

Right now I use paper wallets for storing my bitcoins. This would be a good step up.

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 11:33:10 AM

I'll wait until staples has it in stock lol
In 2020

fryarminer

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 12:07:18 PM

Maybe Apple will make one that will destroy the competition.
Z1#

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 12:10:47 PM

If it works as advertised, I think it would be a big step closer to bringing bitcoin to the masses. Being one of the masses I would use one.  Grin
FlappySocks

Activity: 546

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 01:48:55 PM

I think it is an overkill.  Why duplicate the functionality of a smartphone?  All you need is a device that can securely keep your private key, and sign transactions.

The problem with a phone is security.  This device is actually designed to pair with a smartphone via bluetooth (or with a PC via USB), and mitigates the risk of wallet theft via malware.

That was my point.  You only need pairing, a simple display, and a keypad.  Leave the rest to the smartphone.  NFC or USB not bluetooth.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 02:40:57 PM

If it works as advertised, I think it would be a big step closer to bringing bitcoin to the masses. Being one of the masses I would use one.  Grin

Really? You would carry around two smartphone sized devices all the time? Both need to be charged, both will probably want screen protectors/cases.

It's a nice idea for companies- and thats probably their target, but it's hard to imagine people using them normally. At least Trezor fits on your keychain.

more or less retired.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 02:41:50 PM

Really? You would carry around two smartphone sized devices all the time? Both need to be charged, both will probably want screen protectors/cases.

It's a nice idea for companies- and thats probably their target, but it's hard to imagine people using them normally. At least Trezor fits on your keychain.

Nah keep a small amount in mycellium

cdog

Activity: 1036

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 06:56:56 PM

Also, Im fine walking around with $500 in cash in my wallet. If I lose it, or I get robbed, oh well. Nobody walks around everyday with thousands in cash.

A mobile BTC wallet doesnt need 100% max security. Only your "savings" wallet at home needs that. A spending wallet with a fraction of a BTC (smartphone) can offer just basic security, and its still better than cash.
fryarminer

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 10:45:56 AM

Actually you guys have convinced me not to like this! With the pager, cell phone and now a different btc device, I'm out of room for anything else in my pocket! And it seems that the Blockchain app or Coinbase app do the same thing as this clunky device does.
Justin00
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 11:59:06 AM

bastards stole the name from the bastards who stole the name from me!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=127587.msg1358191#msg1358191

Feel free to compensate me for my creativity !      18eMzAG1tXFkEmwFz3Hh4HT1CTzzBtPudz

BTW how many of you have ever been in a situation where you were in the street and desperately needed to buy something using bitcoins ??
its a cool idea, but more of a gimmick. i'm sure they will still sell 10,000's once the group buy vultures come along Smiley

davida

Activity: 585
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 12:01:29 PM

I don't understand why people here seem to be shrugging their shoulders at this idea...  I have imagined something exactly like this for a long time now. If it's cheap enough then this could be the link needed for mass adoption of bitcoin with everyday purchases, a true digital wallet.

... It's just a shame it had to be butterflylabs developing it.  Hopefully a few other big players will start developing similar products which would bring release date closer and keep the prices competitive.

Perhaps companies will considering give the devices out free if they can make a small amount of transaction fee's, but then i think would make it an online wallet rather than a hardware wallet.

How do you think it will work... Wifi connectivity? or perhaps a sim card using gprs/3g?

Are you Matthew, for the Elite comes to mind?

Ehh... Who?   lol

I personally wouldn't expect it anytime soon if at all.
now to derail the tread:
this remindet me to check up on http://www.bitcoincard.org. Is the mycelium bitcoincard officially dead?

No. I am sitting right in front of the desk with the latest prototypes. We are working furiously on delivering the hardware, we are just not taking preorders when we don't KNOW when we are going to deliver.

It's just a shame you didn't take this approach in the past... People would be more inclined to believe what you have to say now.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 06:30:23 PM

Stupid bfl had a new years sale where they swore old asics were stock and would ship. People started emailing after ordering and they said they'll ship when it's in stock. Scum bags.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: