Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:53:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What hardware would i need to run a pool?  (Read 700 times)
Remember remember the 5th of November (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 12:31:24 PM

Basically i wish to make a pool as well(not that there arent many out there). But all i can afford at the moment is a VPS with 1GB of memory. 2TB of traffic per month, will be located in the US(somewhere)
The problem here is that i can afford only one, which would mean Apache,MySQL,Pushpoold,blkmond and BitcoinD must all be there cuddling in each other.

Any problems with that? I am not looking at competing with a big pool, but at least 60gh/s at the moment will be nice for it to handle.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Sekioh

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 12:35:05 PM

I think it could handle it, I haven't checked how much BitcoinD uses but can't imagine much more than smaller spikes as it holds blockchain in ram to process. Apache and SQL can be installed pretty lightweight. I was about to say traffic would probably be the biggest issue but 2TB is a plentiful amount until you start hitting deepbit size (even then that's probably only gigs).

<OPEN MONEY | Powering Blockchain Acceptance [ICO]
███████████████    ▬▬▬▬▬▬ Blockchain Meets Mainstream! ▬▬▬▬▬▬    ███████████████
Whitepaper  ●  Slack  ●  Facebook  ●  Twitter  ●  Reddit  ●  Telegram>
Remember remember the 5th of November (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 12:36:45 PM

I think it could handle it, I haven't checked how much BitcoinD uses but can't imagine much more than smaller spikes as it holds blockchain in ram to process. Apache and SQL can be installed pretty lightweight. I was about to say traffic would probably be the biggest issue but 2TB is a plentiful amount until you start hitting deepbit size (even then that's probably only gigs).
Actually btcguild use ~4,5TB of traffic per month and they do around 150 gigs per day, but that is for ~2TH. At 60 gh/s i think it would not be that much, and in the event it might not be enough i will try to add more quota.

And i am not much worried about ram, as i am about CPU time. I have no idea what kind of CPU time all the stuff will take up and what lags i might expect.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Sekioh

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 12:43:45 PM

I had a feeling they used a lot, didn't know any numbers though. I knew it made a getwork request per user every few seconds, and those can be like a kilobyte, so it adds up I guess.

4500 / 2000 = 2.25 GB/GHash * 60 Gh/s = 135 GB traffic? Cheesy

<OPEN MONEY | Powering Blockchain Acceptance [ICO]
███████████████    ▬▬▬▬▬▬ Blockchain Meets Mainstream! ▬▬▬▬▬▬    ███████████████
Whitepaper  ●  Slack  ●  Facebook  ●  Twitter  ●  Reddit  ●  Telegram>
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: