Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 07:01:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to HODL the right way  (Read 537 times)
gerald246kru

Activity: 294
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2018, 11:51:19 PM

Here are two simple rules my trading mentor who's been in the game for 30 years taught me.

1. Put 5-10% of your net worth in crypto. No more as you might lose more than you can afford, no less as you won't see much difference.

----

2. Have a strategy. Every month, on a particular day you have chosen, take 50% of your profits in fiat. No ifs, no buts, no waiting for the market to get better or for the price to rise because you "know it will rise 100%". And when it comes to the other half, invest 50% of it in assets you believe in for the long-term (Bitcoin, ETH, Neo, etc.) and leave the other 50% for speculation (alts, shorting).

I myself have broken these rules on a few occasions as I got greedy and it didn't end well so I had to HODL, check my portfolio every 5 minutes, deal with a massive amount of stress...

If you leave the decision-making to the strategy you follow, not to your emotions, it will make the whole thing much less painful. These two rules are super simple to follow.

"But I made most my crypto money from crypto." "But I am sure there will be a bull run, I will make more money when I put all my savings." "Why only 10%?"

You can NEVER be sure if a price will go up or down. Even technical analysis can mislead you as the crypto market is not regulated, it's the wild wild west and anything can happen. ANYTHING. Good or bad.

We still live in a fiat-dominated world where you pay your bills in fiat (USD, EUR, YEN, etc.). So when your bills come but you've put all your money in crypto and it's going down and you kinda have to HODL, how are you going to pay them? I did that just recently and it was pretty tough to fight with my fear of losing and regret that I didn't sell at the peak.

If you don't need the money, great. Leave it in crypto. But the moment you lose a big amount (and this will happen at some point if you are in the game long enough) you will start panic selling and thinking about all the things you could have bought with that money: a trip, your yearly rent, a yacht, 5 years of freedom from work, etc.

A better way is to slowly regain your initial investment and let the profits make profits. Or take as much money as you need to live comfortably if crypto is your main source of income.

This is where the second advice comes in handy.

Take profit, even when it's counter-intuitive.

"This advice comes from many times of sh*#$ing my pants over the years," – experienced traders lose money too but they only come out stronger.

And finally, don't trade under the influence of your emotions:

FOMO – when it's going up and you've missed the train... but then you buy and it dumps. Happens many times to all of us  Grin If you've missed the train, don't run after it. Wait for the next one (next dip).

FEAR OF LOSING – you're panic selling and then it pumps back up.  Angry  Warren Buffet might be a crypto FUD-meister but he's right about getting greedy when others are fearful and getting fearful when others are greedy.

GREED – this is the trickiest of all emotions. Most humans are greedy. It's our nature. And yet most will tell you they're not greedy if you ask them. I am greedy, and so are you. In trading or investing, we realize we've been greedy only after losing money. There is no easy way to learn this lesson but if you follow the two rules above you won't let greed run the show.

I hope this is helpful.

Stay tough! ;-)
I believe that with a market that is knitting constantly and is hard to guess at the present time, you should not invest long term at this point, you can see that bitcoin prices are constantly fluctuating and adjusting in Very large trading volume, the market is bearish in the long term, so the risk hold will be very high.
Dheo

Activity: 386
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 12:43:34 AM

holding for long term the best to hold is forget it for a while after a month or depends on your target time prediction in your coins investment and again if there have an progress increasing their price value, if not stay calm and forget it again and just relax surely that idea you can earn profits at the right time.

Yeah if you want to hold, it's better to forget it for a year or a months that you want, then comeback again after the day you target  , hold is not simple thing to do because panic selling is always on the other side that's why it's better to forget your coin in a while.
Wallflower28

Activity: 378
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 01:14:00 AM

I like the concept of FOMO because most of the time, it happens in a trader. We always want to ride in a trend and like what you have said, its the nature of human. Fear of missing out leads to a loss, if we want to avoid it, we should always keep updated to the coin we want to buy and if we missed the train, do not run to it and better to wait for the next one.

SixOfFive

Activity: 630
Merit: 257

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 06:39:45 PM

That’s good amount of knowledge, especially for beginner. I think these are the points where we or investors make mistakes and lose their money. We should never invest more than what we cannot afford to lose. This can even risk the fulfillment of our basic needs. The FOMO and FUD are other concepts that add to our losses. Therefore these should be carefully tackled.
billknight

Activity: 197
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 07:06:26 PM

The method I use most often is to buy a few potential altcoins on the big exchange and then send altcoins on my MEW wallet. And I only watch the price of the crypto market once a month. If my altcoin is increased by more than 70%, then I will decide to sell all and buy other altcoins
Traderbtcc

Activity: 1190
Merit: 123

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 07:14:49 PM

Great strategy by OP. But in the current market trend, it's basically pointless. Anybody who was hodling since the last bull run till now should be in deep losses. For me, I follow simple principles ~ buy low, sell high & When in profit, sell and never look back or feel nostalgic. So during the last bull run, I sold most of my portfolio and converted to fiat. Now I'm putting it back to crypto bit by bit.

margert

Activity: 224

View Profile
July 02, 2018, 10:58:16 PM

Here are two simple rules my trading mentor who's been in the game for 30 years taught me.

1. Put 5-10% of your net worth in crypto. No more as you might lose more than you can afford, no less as you won't see much difference.

----

2. Have a strategy. Every month, on a particular day you have chosen, take 50% of your profits in fiat. No ifs, no buts, no waiting for the market to get better or for the price to rise because you "know it will rise 100%". And when it comes to the other half, invest 50% of it in assets you believe in for the long-term (Bitcoin, ETH, Neo, etc.) and leave the other 50% for speculation (alts, shorting).

I myself have broken these rules on a few occasions as I got greedy and it didn't end well so I had to HODL, check my portfolio every 5 minutes, deal with a massive amount of stress...

If you leave the decision-making to the strategy you follow, not to your emotions, it will make the whole thing much less painful. These two rules are super simple to follow.

"But I made most my crypto money from crypto." "But I am sure there will be a bull run, I will make more money when I put all my savings." "Why only 10%?"

You can NEVER be sure if a price will go up or down. Even technical analysis can mislead you as the crypto market is not regulated, it's the wild wild west and anything can happen. ANYTHING. Good or bad.

We still live in a fiat-dominated world where you pay your bills in fiat (USD, EUR, YEN, etc.). So when your bills come but you've put all your money in crypto and it's going down and you kinda have to HODL, how are you going to pay them? I did that just recently and it was pretty tough to fight with my fear of losing and regret that I didn't sell at the peak.

If you don't need the money, great. Leave it in crypto. But the moment you lose a big amount (and this will happen at some point if you are in the game long enough) you will start panic selling and thinking about all the things you could have bought with that money: a trip, your yearly rent, a yacht, 5 years of freedom from work, etc.

A better way is to slowly regain your initial investment and let the profits make profits. Or take as much money as you need to live comfortably if crypto is your main source of income.

"This advice comes from many times of sh*#$ing my pants over the years," – experienced traders lose money too but they only come out stronger.

FOMO – when it's going up and you've missed the train... but then you buy and it dumps. Happens many times to all of us  Grin If you've missed the train, don't run after it. Wait for the next one (next dip).

FEAR OF LOSING – you're panic selling and then it pumps back up.  Angry  Warren Buffet might be a crypto FUD-meister but he's right about getting greedy when others are fearful and getting fearful when others are greedy.

GREED – this is the trickiest of all emotions. Most humans are greedy. It's our nature. And yet most will tell you they're not greedy if you ask them. I am greedy, and so are you. In trading or investing, we realize we've been greedy only after losing money. There is no easy way to learn this lesson but if you follow the two rules above you won't let greed run the show.

I hope this is helpful.

Stay tough! ;-)
I think that at this time it is very suitable for you to buy and hold coin, the market is showing signs of recovery after bitcoin adjustment and start to recover, there are lots of good coin and in this July there are There are so many big events so the price can pump well.

I think you should buy coin: DGD, SC, ADA, ICX ... the top ten and very potential.
zander09

Activity: 546

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 03, 2018, 12:25:50 AM

That’s good amount of knowledge, especially for beginner. I think these are the points where we or investors make mistakes and lose their money. We should never invest more than what we cannot afford to lose. This can even risk the fulfillment of our basic needs. The FOMO and FUD are other concepts that add to our losses. Therefore these should be carefully tackled.

Yeah I agree with you, all of us don't want to lose our money but you need to remember that losing money is part of crypto that's why you should invest the money you are afford to lose.
alfs75

Activity: 392

platform for everyday business

View Profile
July 03, 2018, 02:11:33 AM

----

I hope this is helpful.

Stay tough! ;-)

definetly this is a good intention bro,that we dont want to loosing money,intend that we have an own idea in making our investment,not much affected this crisis happen in cryptocurrency investment,thats why we have different idea in holding our crypto investment,but otherwise this  loosing is part in ways of investing,especialy in this risky crypto investment,because you cannot gain if you have  no pain,therefore in order to gain a good profit we must gamble sometimes of loosing in order to gain a good earning.

T O W E R B E E      |  PLATFORM FOR EVERYDAY BUSINESS       [ CRYPTOEXCHANGE TowerX ]
▬        ICO  >  on our exchange TowerX        ▬
FACEBOOK           MEDIUM           TWITTER           LINKEDIN           REDDIT           TELEGRAM
intoy_victor

Activity: 266
Merit: 16

View Profile
July 03, 2018, 11:39:53 AM

Absolutely yes your thoughts are correct. Buy a coin that has a possibility to increase someday and trusted too. Because of so many coin you need to be wise in choosing a coin to invest and hold.
ajiejot

Activity: 392
Merit: 112

View Profile
July 03, 2018, 11:45:29 AM

Thank you for this, your emotion is your main enemy in doing trading, because if you can't control your emotion, you will get lost. It is the best to control it, specially for being greedy and fear of missing out. Always remember in your self, do self research, don't trust other people in crypto world specially in trading.
fudster

Activity: 1190
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 03, 2018, 12:17:11 PM

Thank you for this, your emotion is your main enemy in doing trading, because if you can't control your emotion, you will get lost. It is the best to control it, specially for being greedy and fear of missing out. Always remember in your self, do self research, don't trust other people in crypto world specially in trading.

Emotions can really be hard to control when you see yourself you had lost an opportunity to profit.

I was up to buy NEO today after seeing the market had green, price of NEO was just $32 today before it goes $37, I'm surpise that it suddenly grow after just an hour while my deposit transaction weren't confirmed yet. I decided not to buy instead unless it dips back to about $34 or so. This I think I have controled my emotion.
Cliparts

Activity: 126
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 04:30:58 PM

Absolutely yes your thoughts are correct. Buy a coin that has a possibility to increase someday and trusted too. Because of so many coin you need to be wise in choosing a coin to invest and hold.
Right that market is full of coins but choosing the best among them needs experience and knowledge, before buying some coins try to read the market, see the price graph of every coin then buy, don’t choose the highly expensive coin but the one most of promising, trusted and low price coin as it will give your more profit than the high price and low demand coin, it is good to buy bitcoin now a day because it is at high demand in the market, buy now and hold with patience in your bitcoin wallet safely.
Morgann

Activity: 420

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 04:45:59 PM

holding for long term the best to hold is forget it for a while after a month or depends on your target time prediction in your coins investment and again if there have an progress increasing their price value, if not stay calm and forget it again and just relax surely that idea you can earn profits at the right time.

Yeah if you want to hold, it's better to forget it for a year or a months that you want, then comeback again after the day you target  , hold is not simple thing to do because panic selling is always on the other side that's why it's better to forget your coin in a while.

In the situation of the market today, the best thing to do is just to hold right now and forget about the market, because you just might get confused about your decision if you keep on looking at the market prices.
ubeng07

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 05, 2018, 04:55:30 PM

In the situation of the market today, the best thing to do is just to hold right now and forget about the market, because you just might get confused about your decision if you keep on looking at the market prices.
true checking all day , all the time for the price are not to be the good way we should be taking to be more patient and see always that the price of on what we able to take is may in a good condition someday , hard to see when this is in a such bad price so let this came out to be in good someday.
trumper

Activity: 406
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2018, 05:18:11 PM

Hodling does not need a guide, that is as simple as Just Hodl in theory, but in practice it can be like trading since following a simple rule is not easy in the life.

Kpmaline

Activity: 89
Merit: 3

2 da Moon

View Profile
July 09, 2018, 06:47:02 AM

----

awesome..
boynamnhi

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 09, 2018, 07:26:32 AM

----

I hope this is helpful.

Stay tough! ;-)
I think that at this point you should not continue to hold, you can see that although bitcoin prices are showing signs of a slight recovery but the recovery force is very weak and the bitcoin price can drop sharply at any time. . The market is in the downtrend stage so I think the bitcoin price will continue to fall deep, if you hold then you are likely to suffer heavy losses are huge.
muhammedayo1

Activity: 151

Stalker.network - POS Smart Contract ETH Token

View Profile
July 10, 2018, 05:49:18 AM

Nice one buddy , you made good points.
Like my mentor use to say:
* GREED is bane in trading
* Green candle is meant to test your greed while,
* Red candles are meant to test your patience.

Without good risk management and focused strtegy in trading, we tend to be overwhelmed with greed as long as see those long green candles.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ ✅ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project ● ☞ ✅ Best privacy crypto-market! ● █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ─────────────────║ WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ║─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June]✅[Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ ✓ Windows  |  ✓ macOS  |  ✓ Linux
Giratina

Activity: 126
Merit: 2

View Profile
July 10, 2018, 05:59:39 AM

I think the proper or right way to hold an investment or coin is hold it when the value of it,
in the market cant makes you profitable because it have a low amount or value to be offered to the investors.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: