Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:19:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 680Kh/s on Gigabyte R9 280X Battlefield Edition  (Read 2374 times)
Shenrox (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 02:50:35 PM

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a Gigabyte R9 280X Battlefield Edition and am using for mining obviously..lol
But i'm only getting 680Kh/s with it, 90% of all the other post i see people get easily 700? Iv'e tweaked and playing with the settings ect but can't get it to go higher.
But what really baffles me is that after i undervolted it to 1.131V it actually picked up about 50Kh/s.

Does anybody maybe know if there's a guide as to how to calculate the settings for optimum performance? So far i've only found broken bits and pieces of info pertaining to either 1 or a few of the changeable parameters.

These are my current settings:

Code:
"intensity" : "13",
"vectors" : "4",
"worksize" : "256",
"lookup-gap" : "2",
"gpu-dyninterval" : "7",
"gpu-platform" : "0",
"gpu-engine" : "1025",
"gpu-fan" : "0-85",
"gpu-memclock" : "1500",
"kernal" : "scrypt",
"gpu-powertune" : "10",
"shaders" : "2048",
"api-port" : "4028",
"temp-cutoff" : "80",
"temp-overheat" : "75",
"temp-target" : "70",
"expiry" : "120",
"thread-concurrency" : "8192",
"failover-only" : true,
"gpu-threads" : "2",
"no-pool-disable" : true,
"log" : "5",
"queue" : "1",
"scan-time" : "30",
"gpu-vddc" : "1.131",
"temp-hysteresis" : "3",
"scrypt" : true,

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  [   CRYPTOS⚫LARTECH    ]  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
  White Paper    ||  BLOCKCHAIN & ENERGY FOR A BETTER WORLD  ||    One Pager 
Telegram  Facebook  Twitter  [[   TOKEN SALE is LIVE   ]]  Medium  Youtube  Reddit

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
zneww

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:23:34 PM
Last edit: January 19, 2014, 05:55:38 PM by zneww

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a Gigabyte R9 280X Battlefield Edition and am using for mining obviously..lol
But i'm only getting 680Kh/s with it, 90% of all the other post i see people get easily 700? Iv'e tweaked and playing with the settings ect but can't get it to go higher.
But what really baffles me is that after i undervolted it to 1.131V it actually picked up about 50Kh/s.

Does anybody maybe know if there's a guide as to how to calculate the settings for optimum performance? So far i've only found broken bits and pieces of info pertaining to either 1 or a few of the changeable parameters.

These are my current settings:

Code:
"vectors" : "4",
"gpu-fan" : "85-100",
"kernal" : "scrypt",
"gpu-powertune" : "10",
"shaders" : "2048",
"temp-cutoff" : "80",
"temp-overheat" : "75",
"temp-target" : "70",
"gpu-vddc" : "1.131",

Hey bud. Try these, save a a back up of those. Also, try downloading CGWatcher, actually speeded up my hash. I have a r9 280x and avg 700-710K

Code:
"api-allow" : "W:127.0.0.1",
"api-listen" : true,
"api-mcast-port" : "4028",
"balance" : true,
"hotplug" : "5",
"kernel-path" : "/usr/local/bin",
"shares" : "0",
"gpu-engine" : "1049-1049",
"gpu-fan" : "0-85",
"gpu-memdiff" : "0",
"gpu-powertune" : "-20",
"gpu-vddc" : "0.000",
"temp-target" : "75",
"temp-overheat" : "85",
"temp-cutoff" : "95",
"vectors" : "1",
"shaders" : "0",
"thread-concurrency" : "8921",
no-pool-disable" : true,
Shenrox (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 04:27:35 PM

Thanks zneww, but that brings me down again to 600Kh/s.

Just have to try CGwatcher still.

Telegram  Facebook  Twitter  [[   TOKEN SALE is LIVE   ]]  Medium  Youtube  Reddit
maardein

Activity: 420

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 04:32:11 PM

First of all: intensity 13 is quite low. Experiment with it a little, the max is 20, but those 280X cards rarely work well at I20.

These cards seem to benefit from high mem clock, so you should try to increase it a little.

Further more, if your hashrate increased with undervolting, this is most likely because your card is getting to hot. What are your temps?

BTC: 1788UegKXGXXicfPcbZ1bmSUJ99ZWRCF7p
LTC: LZ2rCcoxK4X8wRRynqdxoimd4d3TDNk7Lk
PMP: PApSSdorQds5tQysymwDXPAN3viJLFTUs8
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 05:36:31 PM

First of all: intensity 13 is quite low. Experiment with it a little, the max is 20, but those 280X cards rarely work well at I20.

These cards seem to benefit from high mem clock, so you should try to increase it a little.

Further more, if your hashrate increased with undervolting, this is most likely because your card is getting to hot. What are your temps?

OMG everything you said is a fail.

High Intensity only works when you have high TC, and one thread. These 280x work best with low TC, and 2 threads. Anything over 13 will give you worse results.

No, most 280x WON'T benefit from a high mem clock, not unless you go into ranges most cards can't handle (1900MHz). Keeping it at 1500MHz will net you the best results.

Undervolting probably didn't give him the increase in hashrate. It's probably the relatively low PowerTune he's got going on.

Here, try these. Get rid of some of the stuff you don't need (like shaders and vectors), and try these simplified settings:

Code:
"gpu-fan" : "85",
"gpu-memclock" : "1499",
"kernel" : "scrypt",
"gpu-powertune" : "20",

Basically set your fan to a static %; don't mess with auto temp stuff, it doesn't work well with scrypt. Second, get rid of any settings you don't need. They just mess everything up. Third, increase your powertune to +20%. Lastly, back off your mem clocks by 1MHz. Also, did you realize you spelled "kernal" wrong? I'm hoping that was a typo when you copied it over?

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
zneww

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 05:55:17 PM
Last edit: January 19, 2014, 06:24:15 PM by zneww

Thanks zneww, but that brings me down again to 600Kh/s.

Just have to try CGwatcher still.

Hey man I think I figured it out. Set your fan to 85-100 and that should fix the problem. I have been tweaking my settings for the last day and these are my max out points.

Code:
"vectors" : "1",
"thread-concurrency" : "8921",
"shaders" : "0",
"gpu-engine" : "1049-1049",
"gpu-fan" : "95-95",
"gpu-memdiff" : "0",
"gpu-vddc" : "0.000",
"temp-cutoff" : "95",
"temp-overheat" : "85",
"temp-target" : "75",
"api-mcast-port" : "4028",
"hotplug" : "5",
"shares" : "0",
"kernel-path" : "/usr/local/bin",
"api-allow" : "W:127.0.0.1"
}

http://imgur.com/YbCCOjE
Shenrox (OP)

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 06:43:13 PM

High Intensity only works when you have high TC, and one thread. These 280x work best with low TC, and 2 threads. Anything over 13 will give you worse results.

No, most 280x WON'T benefit from a high mem clock, not unless you go into ranges most cards can't handle (1900MHz). Keeping it at 1500MHz will net you the best results.

Undervolting probably didn't give him the increase in hashrate. It's probably the relatively low PowerTune he's got going on.

Here, try these. Get rid of some of the stuff you don't need (like shaders and vectors), and try these simplified settings:

Code:

Basically set your fan to a static %; don't mess with auto temp stuff, it doesn't work well with scrypt. Second, get rid of any settings you don't need. They just mess everything up. Third, increase your powertune to +20%. Lastly, back off your mem clocks by 1MHz. Also, did you realize you spelled "kernal" wrong? I'm hoping that was a typo when you copied it over?

With those settings and the rest iv'e taken out i get 660Kh/s. My temps are running at 70 deg stable currently. I underclocked the card because it was running at 80deg at 1.2V.
I'm gonna change my voltage back to check whats the results with those settings, what would be TOP NOTCH (lol) is to get 700+ @ 1.073V. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=405284.msg4394739#msg4394739
 Do you know whats the temps the cards are supposed to operate normally under? My room get a bit hot in the summer, was thinking to add in ducting with a extractor fan through to outside. The case i'm using is an Antec DF85 with a fan pulling hot air out of the case, right next to the graphics card.

zneww

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 06:51:14 PM

Code:

With those settings and the rest iv'e taken out i get 660Kh/s. My temps are running at 70 deg stable currently. I underclocked the card because it was running at 80deg at 1.2V.
I'm gonna change my voltage back to check whats the results with those settings, what would be TOP NOTCH (lol) is to get 700+ @ 1.073V. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=405284.msg4394739#msg4394739
 Do you know whats the temps the cards are supposed to operate normally under? My room get a bit hot in the summer, was thinking to add in ducting with a extractor fan through to outside. The case i'm using is an Antec DF85 with a fan pulling hot air out of the case, right next to the graphics card.

Try to set your powertune to -20. That could make up the rest. My card runs 75-80C with a small fan on the cards
Kergekoin

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 07:23:30 PM

I just love those users who are "giving advice" without knowing anything about how tahiti xt works on scrypt coins.
Just hilarious.  Cheesy

The very basics:
Undervolting does not increase hash rate.
Power tune only limits maximum TDP. Its not some miracle tool. If TDP reaches the limit then card will automatically downclock itself.
Every card has slightly different sweetspot for VDDC vs GPU clock. Need to test it out.
If card runs less hashes  than expected on certain clock rate then its very likely running too close to limits. Dowclocking or  VDDC increasing will help.
Good settings are available on LTC mining hardware comparsion WIKI.

******  NB! The links below are affiliate - friend type links, which bring additional benefits both, to you and me  ******
Binance - Best Crypto Trading Platform          CoinBase - Fastest way from FIAT to Crypto
Windscribe - The quickest and easyest way to secure and anonymize your internet traffic
zneww

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 10:27:40 PM

I just love those users who are "giving advice" without knowing anything about how tahiti xt works on scrypt coins.
Just hilarious.  Cheesy

The very basics:
Power tune only limits maximum TDP. Its not some miracle tool. If TDP reaches the limit then card will automatically downclock itself.
Every card has slightly different sweetspot for VDDC vs GPU clock. Need to test it out.
If card runs less hashes  than expected on certain clock rate then its very likely running too close to limits. Dowclocking or  VDDC increasing will help.

Running 720KH/s when its just cgminer running. I think I figured it out  Wink
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 11:05:37 PM

Just hilarious.  Cheesy

The very basics:
You're not very good either.

best mining settings (as in hashrate and hashrate/W) can be dependent on temperature, VRM quality, voltage, core ASIC quality, ram mfg, ram timings, bios version, bios tables, bios modding, OS type, OS version, drivers, motherboard, PSU output, etc... Specially the way ram timings are set by the bios, whose you cannot mod

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
Shenrox (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 06:46:46 PM

Thanks for the trouble anyway guys, came right with another users settings.

Running @ 715 Kh/s

--thread-concurrency 8921 --lookup-gap 2 --gpu-engine 1049,1049 --gpu-memclock 1500 --gpu-powertune -20,-20 --gpu-fan 75 -w 256 -I 13 -g 2
AND it is running at 1.075V
Yippppeeeeeee

SeekEvo

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 07:07:15 PM

I just picked up two of these cards last night and was having temperature issues.  I flashed the bios, but could not get the control unlocked...still stuck at 1.2v.  Would you mind sharing your method for unlocking it?

Thank you!
damiano
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

103 days, 21 hours and 10 minutes.

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 07:07:55 PM

Thanks for the trouble anyway guys, came right with another users settings.

Running @ 715 Kh/s

--thread-concurrency 8921 --lookup-gap 2 --gpu-engine 1049,1049 --gpu-memclock 1500 --gpu-powertune -20,-20 --gpu-fan 75 -w 256 -I 13 -g 2
AND it is running at 1.075V
Yippppeeeeeee

change gpu engine to 1068 and TC to 8191

I have the same card and I pull 730-744k

powertune 0

stock settings

not home so i cant post my bat file
Shenrox (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 09:46:26 PM

I just picked up two of these cards last night and was having temperature issues.  I flashed the bios, but could not get the control unlocked...still stuck at 1.2v.  Would you mind sharing your method for unlocking it?

Thank you!

I use VBE7 to change the bios settings and then use ATIwinflash to flash it to the card, though I put by bios 'pin' in position 2 beforehand.

Guide here: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/vbe7-vbios-editor-for-radeon-hd-7000-series-cards.189089/

Though I couldn't unlock it to have another program change it, i have to flash it everytime i want to change the voltage.

Hope this helps Smiley))

**PS. Make sure you know what your doing when messing with graphics cards bios', you don't want a $400 paperweight....

SeekEvo

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 06:13:22 PM

I just picked up two of these cards last night and was having temperature issues.  I flashed the bios, but could not get the control unlocked...still stuck at 1.2v.  Would you mind sharing your method for unlocking it?

Thank you!

I use VBE7 to change the bios settings and then use ATIwinflash to flash it to the card, though I put by bios 'pin' in position 2 beforehand.

Guide here: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/vbe7-vbios-editor-for-radeon-hd-7000-series-cards.189089/

Though I couldn't unlock it to have another program change it, i have to flash it everytime i want to change the voltage.

Hope this helps Smiley))

**PS. Make sure you know what your doing when messing with graphics cards bios', you don't want a $400 paperweight....

Thanks very much for your help...I was playing around a bit and noticed you guys were using 8912 for TC (flip-flopping the "9" and the "1")...that seemed to hurt my hashrate.  I'll play around a bit more with different driver versions...I'm currently using 13.12 and haven't tried the earlier drivers.

This was able to get me to the mythical 730KH/s@1.075v:

"api-allow" : "W:127.0.0.1",
"auto-fan" : true,
"auto-gpu" : true,
"gpu-engine" : "1049",