Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:15:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How is this better than e-gold?  (Read 636 times)
Nightblade (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 08:39:47 PM

I don't understand how bitcoin is better than something like e-gold.

I own gold & silver in real life and understand the problems with fiat money.  However, I just don't get what the point of bitcoin is?  Isn't it pretty much the same as e-gold, which got taken down by the government?

The only advantage I can see to bitcoin is that it is peer-to-peer, however from what I read of the technical description of the network I think it could be disrupted by a determined adversary.  Even if it was something as simple as flooding the network with bad data/bad connections.
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 08:52:48 PM

e-gold : centralized system, pegged to gold
btc : descentralized system, pegged to nothing

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
tablekart

Activity: 13

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 09:19:09 PM

e-gold work with external element - gold, bitcoin depends on energy, internet and computing

in theory no one can take bitcoin down, but practically government/banks can stop exchange

important is if bitcoin can stand alone and work as basic economy (wages-products)
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 09:26:09 PM

e-gold work with external element - gold, bitcoin depends on energy, internet and computing

in theory no one can take bitcoin down, but practically government/banks can stop exchange

important is if bitcoin can stand alone and work as basic economy (wages-products)

keep in mind that exchanges are not bitcoin, you can always exchange in person, locally
another advantage for bitcoin, is that you can transfer 1 million btc with very low fees or not fees at all

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
bitlover

Activity: 33

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 09:53:56 PM

I don't understand how bitcoin is better than something like e-gold.

I own gold & silver in real life and understand the problems with fiat money.  However, I just don't get what the point of bitcoin is?  Isn't it pretty much the same as e-gold, which got taken down by the government?

The only advantage I can see to bitcoin is that it is peer-to-peer, however from what I read of the technical description of the network I think it could be disrupted by a determined adversary.  Even if it was something as simple as flooding the network with bad data/bad connections.

Another advantage of bitcoin is that you can mine for them, which helps you (if you have sufficient computer power, of course) get started.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: