Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:10:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How is this better than e-gold?  (Read 635 times)
Nightblade (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 08:39:47 PM

I don't understand how bitcoin is better than something like e-gold.

I own gold & silver in real life and understand the problems with fiat money.  However, I just don't get what the point of bitcoin is?  Isn't it pretty much the same as e-gold, which got taken down by the government?

The only advantage I can see to bitcoin is that it is peer-to-peer, however from what I read of the technical description of the network I think it could be disrupted by a determined adversary.  Even if it was something as simple as flooding the network with bad data/bad connections.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 08:52:48 PM

e-gold : centralized system, pegged to gold
btc : descentralized system, pegged to nothing

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
tablekart

Activity: 13

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 09:19:09 PM

e-gold work with external element - gold, bitcoin depends on energy, internet and computing

in theory no one can take bitcoin down, but practically government/banks can stop exchange

important is if bitcoin can stand alone and work as basic economy (wages-products)
gusti
Legendary

Activity: 1099
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 09:26:09 PM

e-gold work with external element - gold, bitcoin depends on energy, internet and computing

in theory no one can take bitcoin down, but practically government/banks can stop exchange

important is if bitcoin can stand alone and work as basic economy (wages-products)

keep in mind that exchanges are not bitcoin, you can always exchange in person, locally
another advantage for bitcoin, is that you can transfer 1 million btc with very low fees or not fees at all

If you don't own the private keys, you don't own the coins.
bitlover

Activity: 33

View Profile
September 08, 2011, 09:53:56 PM

I don't understand how bitcoin is better than something like e-gold.

I own gold & silver in real life and understand the problems with fiat money.  However, I just don't get what the point of bitcoin is?  Isn't it pretty much the same as e-gold, which got taken down by the government?

The only advantage I can see to bitcoin is that it is peer-to-peer, however from what I read of the technical description of the network I think it could be disrupted by a determined adversary.  Even if it was something as simple as flooding the network with bad data/bad connections.

Another advantage of bitcoin is that you can mine for them, which helps you (if you have sufficient computer power, of course) get started.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: