Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:15:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S9 back fan cable melting  (Read 156 times)
tim-bc (OP)

Activity: 538
Merit: 175

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 06:29:23 PM

Why would the S9's back fan cable be so much more prone to melting than the front cable? Is it because it comes in contact with the frame which can get very hot? It has only become more of an issue lately.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/MLGOg.jpg

Ignore scammers on Skype, Telegram, etc. I will only ever contact you via forum PMs. See profile for fingerprint.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Raymond_B

Activity: 504
Merit: 71

Just Getting Started...

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2018, 07:25:22 PM

Why would the S9's back fan cable be so much more prone to melting than the front cable? Is it because it comes in contact with the frame which can get very hot? It has only become more of an issue lately.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/MLGOg.jpg

Wow, how hot is that miner getting? Mine are running in 90F ambient air and I do not see anything like that.

tim-bc (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 07:43:52 PM
Last edit: May 31, 2018, 10:24:01 PM by frodocooper

Wow, how hot is that miner getting? Mine are running in 90F ambient air and I do not see anything like that.

I don't know about that one specifically but during the day the cold aisles (ambient air) are around 40c and the hot aisles (exhaust air) are around 60c. So, cold = 104F and hot = 140F approximately.

Also the miners are prevented from hashing with any local temp above 100c and any chip temp above 147c.

Ignore scammers on Skype, Telegram, etc. I will only ever contact you via forum PMs. See profile for fingerprint.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 08:41:33 PM

104f ambient intake temps? How do your machines even run?

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
tim-bc (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 09:29:01 PM

104f ambient intake temps? How do your machines even run?
They run away... usually like 20-30% are in thermal protection at the hottest point of the day. It's a big dent in the hashrate, although I think the massive airflow helps.

If only they would all just grow legs and walk to northern canada Roll Eyes

vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 11:51:21 AM
Last edit: May 31, 2018, 10:24:36 PM by frodocooper

you really really do need to figure a way to keep them cooler, it may sound stupid but there are a few extra options if the miners are getting that hot, stick them on a metal sheet (thicker the better to act as an extra heatsink. point a couple spare fans at the sides to turn the case itself into a extra heatsink, and last try to get the room temp down, open windows and doors and stand there wafting cool air through the room if you have to.

tim-bc (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2018, 11:59:52 AM

you really really do need to figure a way to keep them cooler, it may sound stupid but there are a few extra options if the miners are getting that hot, stick them on a metal sheet (thicker the better to act as an extra heatsink. point a couple spare fans at the sides to turn the case itself into a extra heatsink, and last try to get the room temp down, open windows and doors and stand there wafting cool air through the room if you have to.
Thanks for those suggestions. All of the miners are already on metal shelving with extra fans to ensure maximum airflow. All of the walls are louvered and the doors are open as well.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: