Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:47:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What are YOU guys doing for security?  (Read 991 times)
bitpop (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 09:46:26 PM

Os? Truecrypt? Paper wallets? How do you do securities?

"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
canth
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 10:14:20 PM

Os? Truecrypt? Paper wallets? How do you do securities?

My opinion on a solid setup:

• OS doesn't really matter. Run whatever you have stronger knowledge and comfort with.
  • Use 2 virgin dedicated laptops and a dedicated USB stick. Never use them for anything other than cryptocurrencies.
  • Install Armory on each.
  • The offline laptop never connects to the internet. Disable all networking interfaces including Bluetooth at the driver and service level.
  • The online laptop runs a watching wallet only.
  • Send transactions are initiated on the online laptop, signed by the offline laptop and then sent by the online.

Backups can be handled by digital encrypted on USB stick + paper multi-part backups. Store in 3 or more locations including a safe deposit box.

bitpop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2014, 10:20:35 PM

I was using paper wallets but I'm not fully confident. I'm switching to offline armory.

Though I'm removing the Wi-Fi card and gluing the Ethernet.

DieJohnny
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 10:24:25 PM

Use a YubiKey and LastPass, inexpensive, one password and physical key.

For Bitcoin I do not use any wallet.dat. i save my private keys in last pass encrypted file.

I also have one private key stored in two safe deposit box

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
canth
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 11:03:05 PM

I was using paper wallets but I'm not fully confident. I'm switching to offline armory.

Though I'm removing the Wi-Fi card and gluing the Ethernet.

A paper wallet created with an offline, dedicated laptop is secure but makes for less convenience when you need to send BTC transactions. I'm comfortable with the Armory offline/online setup as a good mix of security and convenience.

canth
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 11:11:00 PM

Use a YubiKey and LastPass, inexpensive, one password and physical key.

For Bitcoin I do not use any wallet.dat. i save my private keys in last pass encrypted file.

I also have one private key stored in two safe deposit box

LastPass is pretty trustworthy, but when it comes down to large sums money I don't consider any centralized company, subject to possible government coercion good enough. Better to use tools that are open and under full end user control. Aka, TrueCrypt, Password Safe and KeePass.

Also, do you use this same computer for email, gaming, running altcoin wallets? If so, then you're at risk of running targeted malware which could take advantage of any vulnerabilities in LastPass' client side, closed source software.

Sledge

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 01:43:31 AM

That laptop that you "never connect to the internet" -- if I got my hands on it, I bet I could extract the private keys you made with it. Security concern. After generating keys, it should be erased and then fresh installed (use whatever techniques make this faster of course, like images etc.).
canth
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 01:52:19 AM

That laptop that you "never connect to the internet" -- if I got my hands on it, I bet I could extract the private keys you made with it. Security concern. After generating keys, it should be erased and then fresh installed (use whatever techniques make this faster of course, like images etc.).

1) If you got your hands on it, I'd probably know it went missing and the coins would be moved before you managed to get the private keys.
2) TrueCrypt + a strong boot password is reasonably hard to overcome. I do not leave it running except when signing transactions.
3) Digital copies of the wallet are stored on TrueCrypt encrypted USB sticks - if you can break into a safe deposit box, again, I'd probably be aware of it before you broke the encryption.

I'm not saying that it's impossible, but I sleep comfortably at night.

bitpop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 12:50:31 PM

There's nothing you can do about physical access except physical access is easy.

canth
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 12:56:31 PM

There's nothing you can do about physical access except physical access is easy.

Layered encryption is a good challenge to physical access and yes, physical access is relatively easy. As Andreas M Antonopoulos says, "...humans are great at physical security, but we suck at digital security."

bitpop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 01:08:13 PM

Layered encryption is a good challenge to physical access and yes, physical access is relatively easy. As Andreas M Antonopoulos says, "...humans are great at physical security, but we suck at digital security."

Yup. There's the frozen memory and firewire attacks at the physical level, just to begin with.

canth
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 01:16:28 PM

Yup. There's the frozen memory and firewire attacks at the physical level, just to begin with.

Frozen memory and firewire attacks do not work on a powered down laptop with an encrypted drive protected by a boot PIN. Keep the laptop with the keys powered off and you're much better off.

bitpop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 01:20:38 PM

Frozen memory and firewire attacks do not work on a powered down laptop with an encrypted drive protected by a boot PIN. Keep the laptop with the keys powered off and you're much better off.

True and if it's gone, sweep immediately

canth
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 01:30:35 PM

True and if it's gone, sweep immediately

Exactly. Encryption gives you time to easily beat out even talented thieves from accessing your private keys. Maybe with today's computing power it would take a year to bruteforce a strong password. Maybe in 5 years, it'll take a week. That's fine since by then you'll have distributed your (hopefully) insanely valuable BTC across multiple wallets and addresses.

joele
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 02:32:56 PM

Store more of my bitcoins in my brain wallet, so I can keep them wherever I go, passphrase words that do not exist on the web and longer than private key. I can easily remember it because it's all personal to me.

bitpop (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 02:36:42 PM

Store more of my bitcoins in my brain wallet, so I can keep them wherever I go, passphrase words that do not exist on the web and longer than private key. I can easily remember it because it's all personal to me.

You can add more security by hashing it yourself 1000 extra times

canth
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 04:27:34 PM

That's fine for long term storage of 1 or maybe a few wallets - depends upon how solid your memory is. The question is how you will spend your BTC and how you'll manage security when doing these transactions. Eventually you have to deal with having a node on the internet, which is why I feel that the offline/online airgap setup is a good compromise.

shadallion

Activity: 304
Merit: 102

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:38:04 AM

I use a bitcoin firesafe (TM)  with a BIP38 brainwallet to store my largest chunk of BTC.
joele
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 02:54:41 AM

That's fine for long term storage of 1 or maybe a few wallets - depends upon how solid your memory is. The question is how you will spend your BTC and how you'll manage security when doing these transactions. Eventually you have to deal with having a node on the internet, which is why I feel that the offline/online airgap setup is a good compromise.

True, I believe in the near future we will see new wallet that is hack proof, but for the meantime I store it in paper or brain wallet for long term and some in online app/services for spending.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: