Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:30:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spend bitcoins or nobody will accept btc  (Read 1649 times)
pandemic (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 12:39:26 AM

I just realized something. If we all hoard bitcoins, nobody will have an incentive to accept them on their site. Then nobody will be able to spend them. Then they'll be worthless.

So, this week, everyone buy something with a few of your bitcoins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bitcoin_Silver_Supply

Activity: 258
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 12:48:47 AM

I just realized something.

There's your problem.
the founder

Activity: 448
Merit: 251

Bitcoin

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2011, 12:49:33 AM

I've been spending them all night long at bittleships.com  LOL!

Bitcoin RSS App / Bitcoin Android App / Bitcoin Webapp http://www.ounce.me  Say thank you here:  1HByHZQ44LUCxxpnqtXDuJVmrSdrGK6Q2f
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 12:58:44 AM

Do I sell my bitcoins before or after I spend my gold, baseball cards, and beanie babies?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 02:09:14 AM

Did you just realize this?  Wink
bitrebel

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 02:11:20 AM

I just realized something. If we all hoard bitcoins, nobody will have an incentive to accept them on their site. Then nobody will be able to spend them. Then they'll be worthless.

accept bitcoins or nobody will spend them.

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.
Jeremy West spendbitcoins.com

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2011, 02:17:25 AM

Shameless plug on where you can http://spendbitcoins.com.

Jeremy West spendbitcoins.com

Activity: 700

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2011, 03:12:00 AM

Smiley

wolftaur

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 03:56:47 AM

All the facepalming I do reading this forum is giving me carpal tunnel syndrome, guys... Tongue

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 04:03:02 AM

I do use your service and love it, I'm just wondering how using it helps the bitcoin economy.  Whats the difference between me dumping bitcoins and buying something from amazon and me giving you the bitcoins and you dumping them so I can buy something off of amazon?

Not knocking your service cause its great, just wondering how it helps bitcoins in general.

EDIT: maybe its the simple convience that helps bitcoin, I dont know. 

NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 04:14:54 AM

I do use your service and love it, I'm just wondering how using it helps the bitcoin economy.  Whats the difference between me dumping bitcoins and buying something from amazon and me giving you the bitcoins and you dumping them so I can buy something off of amazon?

Not knocking your service cause its great, just wondering how it helps bitcoins in general.

EDIT: maybe its the simple convience that helps bitcoin, I dont know. 

The idea of just spending the Bitcoins is all the economy needs.
Backing up Bitcoins is only trust.
Check out my signature on theoretical USD<>BTC pricing.

Bitcraft

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 04:48:03 AM

I am "investing" for the most part, but I have made a few purchases here and there with BTC.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 05:11:30 AM

I really don't see why BTC need have a particularly high 'value'.  The lower the value, the higher percentage of the currency available for captured by interested people.

USD work just fine for most of what I wish to do with currency at this point.  BTC is, to me, a hedge against that not always being the case.  If/when people are seeking an alternative to USD, EU, etc for whatever reason, I expect then that the value of BTC will increase significantly...for better or worse.

As long at BTC has enough utilization to stress-test the system, and in particular, enough interest from people who wish to exploit it, I am perfectly happy to have the value fall to quite low levels (measured in USD) and see no particular negatives.

If low BTC 'values' chases out miners, I'm fine with that.  I'll buy their equipment and mine BTC myself rather than buy on exchanges.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Electrongolf

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

What's Your Gig?

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2011, 06:39:28 AM

I really don't see why BTC need have a particularly high 'value'.  The lower the value, the higher percentage of the currency available for captured by interested people.

I agree with this. Unless you are "investing" with BTC, the price is irrelevant. The fundamental value of Bitcoin has nothing to do with the current market rate.

It's good for people to spend, but there needs to be products/services that are worth the trouble to acquire BTC. The problem with spending is there is no mainstream BTC-only service with a value proposition greater than it's dollar based equivalent.

bracek

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 01:43:24 PM

accept bitcoins or nobody will spend them.

I accept bitcoins, and promise not to sell Smiley
if u want, I will give u my address Smiley
PGPpfKkx

Activity: 586

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 02:47:00 PM

the problem is that not enough things are up for buying with btc.

i wanted to decorate my room with paintings or some decorating stuff and couldn't find anything worthy. just some very very ugly paintings (i hope the artists dont follow this thread lol).
ive sent email to devianart.com if any of you are familiar with it. i proposed to accept btc. lets see.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: