Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 01:17:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Project Bypass: Decentralised Direct Democracy  (Read 2013 times)
Pericles (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 12:14:58 AM
Last edit: January 20, 2014, 10:39:04 AM by Pericles

This is an announcement for a first-of-it's-kind trust-less decentralized governance system - Bypass.

Systems related to this concept have been proposed and discussed before (see "E-Democracy" and "Open-Source Governance") but have failed to gain traction, largely due to poor implementation - centralization, only partial implementation, little incentive for users to participate etc.

This is not a cryptocurrency in the traditional sense. It is more like a socio-political-economic system. The Bypass tokens (coins) in this system will have no inherent value (see technological points below). Consequently there is no inherent rush with developing this system (often associated with a pump-and-dump cryptocurrency). Bypass tokens should be treated as a raw material which everyone is free to use.

Mission Statement:

To develop a system which can effectively demonstrate an operational direct democracy, using the latest in decentralized and trust-less systems technology.

As such, the mission statement calls for not only the successful implementation of the system but also the exposure of it to the world at large (particularly to those who would be most interested in it and excited by it).

Key Technological Points:

[1] Arbitrary amounts of colorless/standard Bypass tokens (BPT) can be generated at will by each user.
[2] Bypass tokens can only achieve a value by applying colors to them.
[3] There is no monetary block reward or transaction fee award given to those securing the network.
[4] A Decentralised Exchange on which to trade the valuable colored Bypass tokens.
[5] Decentralised Autonomous Communities (DACs) are critical to the system. The following DACs will be required:
(i) DACs to process and validate user identities (in situations where 1 person = 1 vote).
(ii) DACs to escrow the items which back colored coins.
(iii) DACs to operate open forums of discussion and learning.
(iv) DACs that store and analyze data - such as the data from a real-time continuously updated census of it's community members to facilitate better (optimal?) planning.
(v) DACs which can verify different forms of contribution to the network/community/society by users (and possibly to reward them accordingly if that is deemed to be useful).

These points ensure that there is no barrier for entry for anyone to participate in the Bypass system. This creates an entirely friction-less system. Arguably it means that there is no incentive to secure the network or to even develop the network. Admittedly there may be no obvious direct gain, but tell that to the people who support the countless distributed computing projects (BOINC, GIMPS, F@H etc.) and to the countless people who develop important open-source software and hardware projects (Mozilla Firefox, Linux etc.).

TODO:

[1] Engage with the community here to discuss the technological feasibility of such a system.
[2] Develop a white paper and specification for the system. Again with community input.
[3] Gather a team of developers who are passionate about this project.
[4] Gather a team of marketers, ideally with a knowledge of and interest in politics.

Now please join me in discussing the potential merits that this project has and the challenges that it is likely to face. Ultimately this is an experiment. Please treat it as such.

Let's see if we can't effect real change and Bypass the institutions that have not aged-gracefully and are currently stifling innovation, prosperity and abundance across the globe.

I will keep this original post updated with key points as the discussion develops. (I have slightly rushed the announcement of this project because I saw that this thread required some ideas - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=420451.0).

Project Theme Song: Hans Zimmer & Lisa Gerrard, Now We Are Free - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owg-NaUoHHo
Pericles (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 12:21:23 AM

I will attempt to stimulate discussion here.

Is there are particular cryptocurrency that should inspire the Bypass code? There are very few options when you look at it. Bitcoin and NXT are the two options that I see. NXT seems to already have an in-built voting system. And it seems to be a lighter system than Bitcoin.

I am a software developer by the way, but I am very very slow at development.
PinkPotatos

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Girls dont crypto?

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 12:25:26 AM

Love the idea.

Accepted by, more merchants! - Franko 弗兰克币 - 自由的货币
Earn FRK with your sig
Pericles (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 12:42:59 AM

Love the idea.

Thank you. Hopefully we can get a critical mass of people interested in Bypass to get some momentum behind this project.
Pericles (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 09:32:21 AM

Perhaps a MOD could add this to the Announcements sub-forum?

I've been doing some more research on the NXT system and it seems that there are already people there discussing a lot of interesting features. It might be a very good base for the Bypass system. I have much more research to do. I have started working on the Bypass Whitepaper, but I would prefer if it were a community effort.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.
Pericles (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 01:14:35 PM

I see that gaining exposure for this project is going to be an issue. Particularly because there is no direct or obvious get-rich-quick aspect to it.

Update: I am investigating the possibility of implementing Bypass as an application layer within the Nxt system (using their arbitrary messaging system), much like Mastercoin living on top of the Bitcoin system.
salsacz

Activity: 490
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 01:36:26 PM

Yes, you will probably be able to build the system on the Nxt network, just wait for a couple of days. Nxt will probably support this idea and many other projects like this. Actually it is a decentralized system, so anyone can use it... But we will try to make using as comfortable as possible.

Good idea
msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 01:55:32 PM

I see that gaining exposure for this project is going to be an issue. Particularly because there is no direct or obvious get-rich-quick aspect to it.

Update: I am investigating the possibility of implementing Bypass as an application layer within the Nxt system (using their arbitrary messaging system), much like Mastercoin living on top of the Bitcoin system.

Contact CFB to get advice on implementing with Nxt.  If you can do it I would be very interested.
Chang Hum

Activity: 714
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 01:58:19 PM

The nxt voting system hasn't been built yet why not get involved, try and take a lead on it?
loopgate88

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 02:29:56 PM

It seems good but I need to read it further.
Also, why should this be?
bithic

Activity: 56

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 12:58:05 AM

This looks like a really great idea! If it can be implemented to allow voting systems that guarantee 1 person = 1 vote it (especially if the vote can be kept anonymous) it could revolutionize the way democratic governments and elections are run.
izzukay

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 02:44:43 AM

Hi Pericles! It's very interesting.

I'm in a activist electronic democracy group (at Spain) and I have been asking about the technical possibility of create a decentralized democracy system based in cryptocoins algorithms. A forum user gave me this thread. I'm very interested. Our country is, very probably, in the way of a civil war. We need urgently a #CreativeRevolution.

PS: I apologize for my English.

Una raza: la HUMANA - Una nación: LA TIERRA - Un imperio: el UNIVERSO - Apoya la lucha panglobalista: 175o6gdTXpFo5FKqbqcUPSZkZ1fSMxSK7u
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2014, 12:06:23 PM

Good idea, but it's too early for the implementation of it to catch fire. The cyber world is still in the money-getting phase; any political interest is focused on the mainstream system and what will be done with cybers.

The only people that'll come on board with you will be true believers in the idea itself. Decentralized cyberpolitics is still in the "proof of concept" stage, so if you're going to go with this idea you have to love it and be remarkably patient - in cyber time, of course  Smiley

Two-three years later, who knows? You might be the pioneer of the next wave of cyber, or you might be stuck in the same forgotten corner. That's the risk of being a true pioneer: it's awfully lonely in the raw frontier, and you never know if you're going to be county founder or just a person stuck in the middle of nowhere.

So you'd better love your "land"...

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: