Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:05:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to start Mining for the Newbie  (Read 643 times)
aljdrx (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 09:37:51 PM
Last edit: August 05, 2018, 06:42:56 PM by aljdrx

I did not see a topic for beginners to get started from the ground up, so I thought I would start a thread.

I am looking to learn how to get started Mining.  I am new to Crypto with no software or programing skills etc, but excited and eager to learn and get started.

Do you need different equipment for different coins such as  Bitcoin, Bitcoin fork, Ethereum,  ERC 20 tokens, and NEP 5 tokens?

Any advice of how to get started would be great.  I am leaning towards mining bitcoin forks to start off with.   I would like to start small just to get the hang of it and then be able to expand from there.

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Guvn0r

Activity: 647
Merit: 274

View Profile
May 24, 2018, 09:49:52 PM

You can learn about mining and how to configure/run a miner by simply trying out different cpu/gpu mineable coins like ethereum, monero etc.. There is only need for dedicated ASIC hardware if you are trying to mine BTC, litecoin etc. Even though the hardware used are different the fundamentals of mining are mostly similar or same.

Go to ANN thread of any coin, for eg: Ethereum (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=428589.0)

Usually, all the info about the coin and how one can mine it will be available in the ANN thread. You can see if it is mineable using your cpu/gpu and then go to the pool, download the miner, configure and start mining. It is very interesting to learn and very satisfying too.

I strongly suggest against investing any serious amount of money into buying hardware whether it is GPU or ASIC before you get familiar and have clear understanding of the technical aspects as well as the profitability of mining and market knowledge.

Goodluck  Smiley
edwardceng

Activity: 266
Merit: 50

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 11:38:19 AM

if talking about mining has a lot of material should study but i have a few advice. like this

e.g you want to learn about mining altcoins with GPU so you must be started from (based on my experience):

1. Learn about hardware (MB, PSUs, GPU)

2. Learn how to build the mining rig

3. Learn how to fix a problem at mining rig

4. Learn about choose which a profitable coin

5. How to running the mining software along with its setting include a connection from/to pool

6. How to choose the best wallet

7. and many more

xlm19877

Activity: 140
Merit: 20

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 12:26:40 PM

you can start see videos on youtube there are many learn videos

when you know the parts go to amazon and start buy the parts

and you can buy from bitmain ASIC 
Geraldo

Activity: 588
Merit: 272

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 12:36:51 PM

That was good, you have started what you want with that whole question.

I am new to Crypto with no software or programing skills etc, but excited and eager to learn and get started.

Our skill will grow while learning and doing what we want to master it. Software and programming skill isn't number one requirement for miners. We know how to use software, that's more than enough. Keep learning and patient.

Do you need different equipment for different coins such as  Bitcoin, Bitcoin fork, Ethereum?

We can use same nor similar mining equipment for different coins at the same algorithm. Also, we can use same nor similar mining equipment for a different algorithm. Except for specific coin that required specific hardware that can mine that coin. We can also use different equipment fo mine the same coin, but it can giving us the different result (profit) for various equipment that applied, and so on.

Another fundamental thing has posted above.

No ones are expert from the start; they learn and do. So, Good Luck!
mitrajkt

Activity: 508

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 02:51:28 PM

You can start trying in an airdrop pool because that's where beginners usually get a chance to participate in mining.
ruthbabe

Activity: 966
Merit: 275

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 03:05:58 PM

~snip~

Do you need different equipment for different coins such as  Bitcoin, Bitcoin fork, Ethereum,  ERC 20 tokens, and NEP 5 tokens?

Any advice of how to get started would be great.  I am leaning towards mining bitcoin forks to start off with.   I would like to start small just to get the hang of it and then be able to expand from there.

Thanks

Firstly, you should go to this site, https://coinmarketcap.com/ to see coins that are minable. Under the Circulating Supply if you see coins that have asterisk (*) those coins are not minable. Now, whether you intend to mine coins such as Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, etc. the most effective way to do it is with a piece of hardware known as an ASIC miner which you can purchase on amazon or ebay.

Also, desktop PC or a dedicated graphics card mining rig could do it too, but not as efficient as ASIC miner. But if you still want to try mining with graphics cards, you can visit this thread, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1972607.0

You could try also this wizard, https://www.buriedone.com/amd-6-rx-470-570-build.html

Geraldo

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 07:37:44 PM

You can start trying in an airdrop pool because that's where beginners usually get a chance to participate in mining.

What's that? I've never heard about that.  Huh

Also, desktop PC or a dedicated graphics card mining rig could do it too, but not as efficient as ASIC miner. But if you still want to try mining with graphics cards, you can visit this thread, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1972607.0

Nice share, buddy.  Wink

But for me, Graphic cards isn't the second option as implied from what you say. ASICs or Graphics Cards have the same chance to create some profit for miners. Out there we can find a few algorithms with a lot of coin on each. In another word, coins that mineable by ASICs and GPUs, of course, ASICs will be the best choice. But coins that haven't (will never) invaded by ASICs would be different. Also, we should consider long-term potency.  Wink

Agreed with another learning step guide that you were advising.
Agozyen

Activity: 672
Merit: 252

Until the end

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 01:28:21 AM

I did not see a topic for beginners to get started from the ground up, so I thought I would start a thread.

I am looking to learn how to get started Mining.  I am new to Crypto with no software or programing skills etc, but excited and eager to learn and get started.

Thanks

If you can read and copy and paste you can set up your mining software.  If you can build a computer you can build a mining rig.

Start by buying older ASIC hardware.  This is hardware that is dedicated to mining a specific coin or a specific family of coins. 
Learn how to use https://www.cryptocompare.com/ to compare various coins against potential hardware.  This will help you determine potential mining profits.
Osech1

Activity: 177

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 03:04:34 AM

To get started, you must have knowledge of the hardware
because mining tools require extra care. if you already know how to care hardware, you can try mining with GPU first
edwardceng

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 04:51:03 AM

don't listen to his suggestion

if you talking about mining altcoin on there are a few topics who became an identity of Mining such (rig, software, problem & solve) if the word "airdrop" it is the identity of Bounties program

madnessteat
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1998

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 07:55:17 AM

I would advise you to build a mining farm on Nvidia video cards (1070, 1070ti, 1080, 1080ti). On YouTube and on this forum there are many themes on assembling mining farms. You can also buy ASIC. It is strongly recommended to read as much information as possible, and then make a decision about the purchase.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
Nicolaus Copernicus

Activity: 140

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 09:05:06 AM

You will need ten things to mine Litecoins, Dogecoins or Feathercoins:

1. Obviously you need a coin wallet where you can store your earnings and it keeps a network wide ledger of transactions.

2. A mining software package. Ex. cgminer , BTCminer, stratum

3. Membership in online mining pool

4. Membership at an online currency exchange

5. Reliable dedicated internet connection

6. Hardware setup location

7. A separate desktop designed for mining

8. A powerful graphics processing unit (GPU) or mining ASIC chip

9. House fan

10. Strong appetite for learning about mining.
Lunga Chung

Activity: 277
Merit: 23

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 09:08:43 AM

for ETH this is really a user friendly guide for beginners

https://mining.help/
edwardceng

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 09:50:24 AM

@aljdrx

you see for yourself some member suggestions on "how to start mining", are actually many things you should learn if all the explanations can be written here then not enough pages.

so, you better learn one by one then practice what has been learned

TANZO Official
Copper Member

Activity: 112

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 01:32:09 PM

I always wondered why people mine. If you believe the a certain currency or coin will go up, just buy it!
edwardceng

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 05:17:01 PM

I watched video on Antminer.  It looks pretty easy and just a plug and play setup?
of course very simple when compared to the mining rig but has a weakness when the Antminer isn't profitable then the resale price is greatly decreased even can't be resold it's different from the mining rig (GPUs) still have a resale price.

Additionally, I watched video on a GPU set up and that looked fun, but much more complicated. It had all parts that needed to be attached... Memory , processor, fans, etc etc.   
yeah, complicated should have the skills to build the CPU at the general.

Im still got alot of research and cross referencing to do before I move forwrd and order something. LOL, I dont want to order something and just be staring at it in my living room trying to figure it out for months,  and then when I finally do, it become worthless because the algorith it was designed to figire out got more complicated then the rig can handle.
This is so much fun!   Thanks
you're welcome dude.

joblessverdict

Activity: 11

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2018, 07:36:52 PM

Also keep in mind that some cryptocurrencies require specific hardware for mining, you just can't use any graphic card. I know for certain that PKT does this.
Geraldo

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 07:39:25 PM

Let me guess, you are curious and explorer types. That was good.

Im still got alot of research and cross referencing to do before I move forwrd and order something.

My warm advice.

Both (ASIs / GPUs) has advantage and disadvantage in some sides. But what makes all the difference was one whose behind that machines. I can say for sure.

As you said, ASICs easier to operated (as you saw on Youtube videos), isn't mean you are free from trouble. Then the next challenge was, which coin that you should mine since most of ASICs has limited on the algorithm. But when you have experienced enough, that was not a big deal.

Oh yeah, GPUs rig more complicated on the operated and assembling process and also prone troubled while running mining process. But trust me, behind all of the trouble and complexity, you will learn new things.

So, which devices you should choose will depend on your personality type and mining passion. Just be more flexible don't be a pattern.
Geraldo

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
May 28, 2018, 06:22:58 AM

Let me guess, you are curious and explorer types. That was good.

Im still got alot of research and cross referencing to do before I move forwrd and order something.

My warm advice.

-snip-

HAHA, "whose behnd the machine", well thats not saying much right now, but hopefully my determination and willingness to learn will change that!  

Well, just calls it as experience, isn't how much time you on it, but how much you were exploring it..  Wink

So If I had one ASIC Rig, and then say a 8 pc GPU rig setup, would that that cover all possible coins to mine?

As functions:
Basically, GPUs would handle almost all algorithm except a few. Even you can mine BTC with the GPU, but that isn't relevant to doing now day.

So related to your question, with those all device, you have more algorithms and coins choices. But again, it will depend on you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: