Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:59:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the R9 270 the best Kh/s for the money right now?  (Read 1254 times)
Gr8one (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 03:19:51 AM

I currently have x2 270's and x2 280s' and x1 290.  Given that you can buy a 270 for ~200 that can do 450Kh/s and is 125 watt.  I was thinking that we are better off with 2 450+Kh/s for $400 than 1 280 that does 750KH/s and pulls 250 watts.  Anyone have any thoughts?
64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 04:03:40 AM

Here is the tough part: the opportunity cost: Having an R9 270 in your hand now, versus waiting a month for something better.

I found a opened box R9 270X at Fry's for $215 that I could return if it didn't work. It was the only high end card on the shelf, versus waiting in line for something else from Newegg or Tiger direct. The speed of the increase in LTC difficulty needs to be considered in your purchase decision.
IamCANADIAN013

Activity: 714
Merit: 503

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 04:57:45 AM

I currently have x2 270's and x2 280s' and x1 290.  Given that you can buy a 270 for ~200 that can do 450Kh/s and is 125 watt.  I was thinking that we are better off with 2 450+Kh/s for $400 than 1 280 that does 750KH/s and pulls 250 watts.  Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm confused, hopefully someone can help me.  My Bitminter says I'm running at 8825 khps with a crappy old GT 420 graphics card. (nvidia)

When I see a new card that runs at 750kh/s it looks to me like the crap one I'm running is faster. 

I know I'm definitely missing something here.  What is it?
metraque

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 04:59:24 AM

If you have the rest of the PC free, then you are right. Also, How did you got that power consumption?
dmpotter

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 05:08:05 AM

I'm confused, hopefully someone can help me.  My Bitminter says I'm running at 8825 khps with a crappy old GT 420 graphics card. (nvidia)

When I see a new card that runs at 750kh/s it looks to me like the crap one I'm running is faster. 

Are you certain it's khp/s or just hp/s? If it is claiming that, your not really doing that. Bitminter will show the accepted share computation on the site.
coinbridge

Activity: 13

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 05:13:23 AM

If the hardware cost is purely GPU then you are right. But if you factor in the cost of mobo cpu and others 280 may come out slight ahead.
One thing uncertain is how long will they last running 24/7. I'd be more concerned about that. in that regard two 270 is better because the heat is less concentrated.
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 05:15:07 AM

You are mining bitcoins, and your hash rate is "worth" 1000x less than what is being discussed here.

Different coins have different and arbitrary hashrates. The major coins with different algorithms are Bitcoin - SHA2, LiteCoin - scrypt, PrimeCoin, Quark, Protoshares. There are a few more that I don't easily remember

You should use the cudaminer software (there's a discussion thread here in this forum) and mine scrypt or, it seems scrypt-jane based coins

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 05:23:49 AM

The only disadvantage that I see is lack of density for "serious" miners. Too much room used by cards that net you less. Then the fixed costs of a base system, related with the hashrate each rig offers.

I don't see 125W pulling 450 Kh/s, more like 150W.

But there are upsides, of course. You can run a 5 card rig with a single 1050W or 1200W PSU, you may offload the cards for a bit more (people refrain from paying too much for used cards, but $100 per card is easy), you lose less hash per failure, etc...

I'm going down that route and get one tomorrow for testing, hopefully. If they give 450+ Kh/s, I'll probably order a few more

██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
IamCANADIAN013

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 05:36:05 AM

I currently have x2 270's and x2 280s' and x1 290.  Given that you can buy a 270 for ~200 that can do 450Kh/s and is 125 watt.  I was thinking that we are better off with 2 450+Kh/s for $400 than 1 280 that does 750KH/s and pulls 250 watts.  Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm confused, hopefully someone can help me.  My Bitminter says I'm running at 8825 khps with a crappy old GT 420 graphics card. (nvidia)

I know I'm definitely missing something here.  What is it?

Are you certain it's khp/s or just hp/s? If it is claiming that, your not really doing that. Bitminter will show the accepted share computation on the site.

Honestly I don't know, it's saying khps. When I look at my worker, it's usually says 0.0 Ghps, sometimes it will go up to 0.1 Ghps.

I've only been mining a few days and I'm just trying to learn how it works.

When I look under shifts, it says 0.000004% with "Your work" at 30.

I tried my gf's laptop to see, and she gets 11.97 mhps.  So confused.
dmpotter

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 07:29:08 AM

I currently have x2 270's and x2 280s' and x1 290.  Given that you can buy a 270 for ~200 that can do 450Kh/s and is 125 watt.  I was thinking that we are better off with 2 450+Kh/s for $400 than 1 280 that does 750KH/s and pulls 250 watts.  Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm confused, hopefully someone can help me.  My Bitminter says I'm running at 8825 khps with a crappy old GT 420 graphics card. (nvidia)

Honestly I don't know, it's saying khps. When I look at my worker, it's usually says 0.0 Ghps, sometimes it will go up to 0.1 Ghps.

I've seen this "fake" hash rate stuff before too.. but then I quickly realized that it wasn't really processing anything, just looked cool.
I'm going to assume you don't have any real hardware and just are dabbling in bitcoin mining?
IamCANADIAN013

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 10:02:49 AM

I've seen this "fake" hash rate stuff before too.. but then I quickly realized that it wasn't really processing anything, just looked cool.
I'm going to assume you don't have any real hardware and just are dabbling in bitcoin mining?

That's correct. I'm just trying to learn how it works, try it, and go from there.  I've been looking to upgrade my graphics card for ages and the thought of being able to mine with it is intriguing.  I know that mining bitcoin with it is pretty much useless, but I've read mining litecoin may be an option.

It's more of just something to do as a hobby at this point.  Mostly, I just to want to understand it better.
dmpotter

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 10:10:29 AM

Litecoin mining will still require a decent GPU.

There is another option too, I'm willing to give you .1 GH/s (100Mh/s) if you would just use this link to make an account at cex.io

https://cex.io/r/0/dmpotter1361/0/

You don't lose anything, I just get a bonus.

But, if you do do the referral thing, I'll send you a voucher which you use on the site.

Least that way, as you make btc, you can buy more gh/s.

Just an option for you to consider.

You can also do like I do, and use local equipment and mine against cex.io
so you have both the cloud mining and local mining all working the same pool.

I also sell litecoin and other scrypt coins on cryptsy, then I'll send some of that to cex.io and buy more gh/s.

Yes, the Price of GH/s is always going down anyhow, but it is tradeable there.

This is an example of the command I'm using locally to mine cex.io' pool

bfgminer -o stratum+tcp://us1.ghash.io:3333 -u dmpotter1361.ant -p x -S antminer:all --set-device antiminer:clock=x0981

I'm using my antminers... thus why I called my worker .ant Smiley
Gr8one (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:23:15 AM

Heh... i have never heard of antminer... does antminer have to do with that khash shareing you were referring to? Ohhh do tell Smiley
dmpotter

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:28:46 AM

Heh... i have never heard of antminer... does antminer have to do with that khash shareing you were referring to? Ohhh do tell Smiley

Was that directed at me, I'm not certain what you are talking about. khash sharing?
Gr8one (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:31:16 AM

My apologies..i read your post wrong when you were talking about bonuses and antminers... maybe i started alittle early tonight! Smiley
dmpotter

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:32:34 AM

My apologies..i read your post wrong when you were talking about bonuses and antminers... maybe i started alittle early tonight! Smiley

It's ok, I ain't straight without coffee.. although it didn't help your thread was sort of ninja'd and we went in an odd direction.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: