Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:34:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Cryptocurrency with a Solar Energy Powered Portable Device  (Read 351 times)
Pascal Parvex (OP)

Activity: 578
Merit: 93

I once bet 100 Bitcoins on a 1:2 chance and lost.

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2018, 01:55:28 AM

I just put this info site online: https://www.solarminer.info

Here's the website's short text:

*snip*
Mining Cryptocurrency with a Solar Energy Powered Portable Device

The goal of this website is to evaluate if such a product either already exits, or can be constructed. The idea is to be able to provide a solution-in-a-box solar miner capable of mining fair cryptocurrencies like Monero. The device should cointain a solar panel (combined with a battery for times without sun) powering a system-on-a-chip computer with WIFI running a web based mining application. Waterproof.

High production charges would be necessary for the system to be affordable. Imagine picking up your own solar miner at the store for the price of a meal of four, and then letting it work for you hands-off with free energy.
*snip*

What do you think? Got any information about it? Thank you for your consideration.

Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Pascal Parvex (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2018, 12:04:03 AM

There must be a way to combine a System-on-a-Chip with a solar panel to mine a stablecoin, for example Monero.

Seetheummerallyeah

Activity: 280
Merit: 41

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 12:09:55 AM

The solar panel would be unfeasible big to power something like an S9.
Rkoshay

Activity: 96
Merit: 3

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 12:17:21 AM

It's a great idea but at this time don't think it's economically feasible.  Panels are pricy, batteries are also.  PV (photo voltaic) systems are only working about 6-8 hours out of the day so if one wants to mine for 24 hours a day the system would have to be oversized enough to charge the batteries to carry over for the 16 hours that the PV isn't charging to any degree, just don't think the amount of money one gets from mining will offset the costs, maybe a wind generator to help in a reliably windy area might be an idea to pursue or home sized hydro electric if there's a reliable stream?
Pascal Parvex (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2018, 01:43:30 AM

Nobody talks about an Antminer S9. First of all, those coins who are not fair like Monero bring the need to switch the miner regularly for the next, more powerful. And secondly, I am talking about a very low power system on a chip, optimised for running a fair coin like Monero.

It's a great idea but at this time don't think it's economically feasible.  Panels are pricy, batteries are also.  PV (photo voltaic) systems are only working about 6-8 hours out of the day so if one wants to mine for 24 hours a day the system would have to be oversized enough to charge the batteries to carry over for the 16 hours that the PV isn't charging to any degree, just don't think the amount of money one gets from mining will offset the costs, maybe a wind generator to help in a reliably windy area might be an idea to pursue or home sized hydro electric if there's a reliable stream?

The wind and hydro aspects are a great idea. The solar power idea aims a poor countries, where sunshine is plentiful. And I don't think that such a panel would only bring power for eight hours, at least not in summer.

m.vina

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 04:23:23 AM

You made a website just to ask the question and get crowdsourcing ideas? That is.. unique?

You would probably have gotten more info if you did research or asked people here directly. There are some solutions out there that you could do to utilize solar panels, batteries, and regular mining hardware. Low cost and low power CPUs of mobile phones could work. It's pretty simple if you do your research well.

M O Z O   //     $31M RAISED!     PRE-LISTED on Coinrail     $450k Bounty Tradable on 8/8/18
●            ●                       VERSACE & 38,000 Stores are accepting MOZO TOKENS                       ●            ●
●            ●            WHITEPAPER        MEDIUM        TELEGRAM        ANN THREAD            ●            ●
Pascal Parvex (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2018, 04:32:03 AM

You made a website just to ask the question and get crowdsourcing ideas? That is.. unique?

You would probably have gotten more info if you did research or asked people here directly. There are some solutions out there that you could do to utilize solar panels, batteries, and regular mining hardware. Low cost and low power CPUs of mobile phones could work. It's pretty simple if you do your research well.

Well, I am not looking for a Frankenrig. The device I want to see should be mass produced. Like a calculator.

newmz

Activity: 372
Merit: 250

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom

View Profile
June 09, 2018, 06:59:30 AM

As already pointed out by @Rkoshay the energy density of panels and batteries pretty much means that this device you are talking about will be mostly batteries. You need to know the local weather vs. your power requirements and then provide enough batteries to cover the local average of "time without sunlight".

Crypto currency enthusiast and miner since 2015. Mined approx 200 ETH during 2016 and 2017 and sold it at approximately $US40 each. Then I watched it reach $1000+ each. If anyone bothers to read this stuff pay attention to this: HODL HODL HODL HODL HODL HODL

I started mining with 1 AMD 7950 and 1 R9-280X. Then I gradually built my AMD operation into 12 R9-290s. Awesome ETH hash but ridiculous power consumption and heat. Over the last year I defected to the Nvidia team. I now use GTX 1070s. They were expensive to buy (probably a bargain now) but awesome hash rate vs. power consumption. blah blah blah blah
Pascal Parvex (OP)

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2018, 05:14:10 PM

As already pointed out by @Rkoshay the energy density of panels and batteries pretty much means that this device you are talking about will be mostly batteries. You need to know the local weather vs. your power requirements and then provide enough batteries to cover the local average of "time without sunlight".

The system should power down with sunset and power up with sunrise.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: