Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:38:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Would you Restrict Altcoin [ANN] threads to full Members and up?
Yep, you betcha - 3 (50%)
Nope you elitist exclusionary scumbucket - 0 (0%)
.... but ... I.... just got here 😢 - 3 (50%)
IDGAF.... let this place die in fire already - 0 (0%)
YEAH...I'M WITH THAT GUY! NUMBAH FOWE UP DEAHH! - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 6

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Restrict Altcoin [ANN] threads to Full Members and up...kill the spambots!  (Read 173 times)
frankenmint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2018, 02:08:53 AM

<soapbox>Yeah I said it... let's kill that spam... cleanup the ann threads!  </soapbox>

okay now that we've gotten that out of our system, I'd like to propose the change listed in the poll - for the sake of quality....fwiw...if you look at the signature campaign or the translation bounty as a `gig` here then I'm probably not out of bounds to say that you waste time and effort on low quality responses or ... "what what you do if..." crap posts that have zero to do with cryptocurrency discussion in terms of objective reasoning.  We would totally love to know your particular points of view as to why Bitcoin will make you the new wealthy elite gentlemanz holder, said no one ever.

You know why I cam here to bitcointalk in 2013??^?? It was to ask for specific details on mining hardware that I just couldn't seem to pull from simply lurking.  Don't get me wrong, I like you...I wish for you to stay...if you're willing to meet me on upping the quality of your posts - if you absolutely had something that mandated an answer in an ASAP-ish manner, there are other avenues for you through the forms of twitter/facebook/reddit, IRC, IRL via meetups, and even...youtube...yes... youtube!  </soapbox>

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Wheelige

Activity: 238
Merit: 68

Do good things

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 02:46:00 AM

I appreciate the bitcoin-centric discussion should come first on bitcointalk however if you limit the alt threads to full members only you could hurt the draw of users that would/could contribute after being drawn in by the alt thread. I like to think that im one of those people.

I was searching for news on Populous and found the bitcointalk thread. From there i reached out across the forum and have contributed from my limited area of expertise. Without that initial draw from a well attended populous thread I would likely never have come here, and those 3-4 people i've helped would be lost in their own thoughts or at the mercy of spammers and shitposters.

║║║║║║║║█║███║███║███║█║█║█║║███║█║█║║██    POPULOUS WORLD'S [GOLD POKEN]
║║║║║║║║█║███║█║█║███║█║█║█║║█║█║█║█║║█      GOLD BACKED ERC1155 TOKEN | RECEIVE 9% DISCOUNT | BUY NOW
║║║║║║║║█║█║║║███║█║║║███║██║███║███║██      HOMEPAGE | TWITTER | TELEGRAM | LINKEDIN | SLACK | GITHUB | YOUTUBE
frankenmint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2018, 11:08:09 AM

I appreciate the bitcoin-centric discussion should come first on bitcointalk however if you limit the alt threads to full members only you could hurt the draw of users that would/could contribute after being drawn in by the alt thread. I like to think that im one of those people.

I was searching for news on Populous and found the bitcointalk thread. From there i reached out across the forum and have contributed from my limited area of expertise. Without that initial draw from a well attended populous thread I would likely never have come here, and those 3-4 people i've helped would be lost in their own thoughts or at the mercy of spammers and shitposters.

but that's just my point...no spammers or shitposters waste the effort to bump an account to a full member to do so and if they do we'll eventually report them

Fiord

Activity: 209
Merit: 103

KRYPTOBITS.COM-BLOCKCHAIN BANKING

View Profile
May 28, 2018, 05:31:23 PM

<soapbox>Yeah I said it... let's kill that spam... cleanup the ann threads!  </soapbox>

okay now that we've gotten that out of our system, I'd like to propose the change listed in the poll - for the sake of quality....fwiw...if you look at the signature campaign or the translation bounty as a `gig` here then I'm probably not out of bounds to say that you waste time and effort on low quality responses or ... "what what you do if..." crap posts that have zero to do with cryptocurrency discussion in terms of objective reasoning.  We would totally love to know your particular points of view as to why Bitcoin will make you the new wealthy elite gentlemanz holder, said no one ever.

You know why I cam here to bitcointalk in 2013??^?? It was to ask for specific details on mining hardware that I just couldn't seem to pull from simply lurking.  Don't get me wrong, I like you...I wish for you to stay...if you're willing to meet me on upping the quality of your posts - if you absolutely had something that mandated an answer in an ASAP-ish manner, there are other avenues for you through the forms of twitter/facebook/reddit, IRC, IRL via meetups, and even...youtube...yes... youtube!  </soapbox>

There are many new projects that are creating new accounts for posting their ANN thread, if Altcoin [ANN] threads are reduced for only Full Members and up, then new projects will be forced to cheat, by buying new accounts, just like for example Atlant team have done, and get a red trust for that.

And also spammers wouldn't disappear from the forum, they will just find some other threads, I think the best way out of it is just delete such a posts, but projects wouldn't do it, because the bigger their thread is the better project looks like.

funsponge

Activity: 776
Merit: 557

View Profile
May 28, 2018, 06:04:03 PM

There are many new projects that are creating new accounts for posting their ANN thread, if Altcoin [ANN] threads are reduced for only Full Members and up, then new projects will be forced to cheat, by buying new accounts, just like for example Atlant team have done, and get a red trust for that.

And also spammers wouldn't disappear from the forum, they will just find some other threads, I think the best way out of it is just delete such a posts, but projects wouldn't do it, because the bigger their thread is the better project looks like.

That might happen but it would be severely limited compared to what we are seeing right now and those accounts which are bought for bumping would soon be found out and not only would we be removing spam but also preventing bought/sold accounts from scamming.

Any system we put in would lead to abuse one way or another.
Wheelige

Activity: 238
Merit: 68

Do good things

View Profile
May 29, 2018, 12:35:12 AM

but that's just my point...no spammers or shitposters waste the effort to bump an account to a full member to do so and if they do we'll eventually report them

I wouldnt say no spammers or shitposters do that. There are some accounts with some serious activity, 300+, that are yet to get their 10 Merits to be a member. If they arent TRYING to get higher rank what are they doing? (Yes I'm aware that my activity highly outnumbers my merit).

My point was more that not everyone on the ANN threads are shitposters, some are really helpful and ask insightful questions that really help flesh out an organisations business proposal, and not all of them are full members. Without this community there would be a number of people that wouldn't be on Bitcoin talk actively participating in bitcoin discussion, which MAY be detrimental to Bitcoin talk. I personally like that Bitcoin talk is like a hub of positive crypto discussion, not just Bitcoin discussion. I think that the harm could outweigh the good here. 

║║║║║║║║█║███║███║███║█║█║█║║███║█║█║║██    POPULOUS WORLD'S [GOLD POKEN]
║║║║║║║║█║███║█║█║███║█║█║█║║█║█║█║█║║█      GOLD BACKED ERC1155 TOKEN | RECEIVE 9% DISCOUNT | BUY NOW
║║║║║║║║█║█║║║███║█║║║███║██║███║███║██      HOMEPAGE | TWITTER | TELEGRAM | LINKEDIN | SLACK | GITHUB | YOUTUBE
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: