Bitcoin Forum
December 11, 2016, 08:22:27 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.13.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Difficulty Should Be Falling Faster  (Read 3853 times)
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1680

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 03:38:04 PM

in the end, you'd have a net gain of what?

zero

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1269

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 04:22:59 PM

also, if the difficulty was to drop much faster, then you would also end up with an increase just as fast. presumably from all those who would get right back in with lower difficulty.
It seems likely that there is less chance that people will stop mining in the high difficulty periods and start in the low periods if the changes comes frequently. If the difficulty starts fluctuating like it does with namecoins the cycle will be self reinforcing. A noticable drop in difficulty will make people add more than the current amount of mining power. When the difficulty change comes it will increase to more than the current amount, making it even less profitable than it is now. That makes the next difficulty drop even larger, and the next increase larger than the first. With many days between the changes instead of hours it is much easier to adapt to this cycle of turning miners on and off.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1540

Drama Junkie

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 04:39:41 PM

imo we are pretty much done in terms of difficulty drop -> the next adjustment will go up again.
Reason being those who dropped out because of price did already.

We are not in no matter what territory yet but for a significant outflow of miners there would have to happen more than a price stagnation within the trendline. If there were another scandal (if the recent mtgox hack turns out to be severe, another bruce wanger incident or something) people would loose confidence.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they keep laughing, then they start choking on their laughter, and then they go and catch their breath. Then they start laughing even more.
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1526

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 04:45:12 PM

imo we are pretty much done in terms of difficulty drop -> the next adjustment will go up again.

We are not in no matter what territory yet but for a significant outflow of miners there would have to happen more than a price stagnation within the trendline. If there were another scandal (if the recent mtgox hack turns out to be severe, another bruce wanger incident or something) people would loose confidence.

Do you have any data to back up your conclusion?

| In Default we Trust | Need gold/silver for btc? | Buy bitcoins |
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Drama Junkie

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 04:49:35 PM

Each difficulty decrease was lower in magnitude than the last one both in absolute and relative magnitudes. The next one would be smaller than the network variance over the expected time period. Sorry that is all I can give you, but I think it is significant enough to draw a conclusion.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they keep laughing, then they start choking on their laughter, and then they go and catch their breath. Then they start laughing even more.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1344

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 05:51:14 PM

I think difficulty will continue to increase for the following reason: mining will shift off people doing it deliberately, on to somebody else's dime.  That includes miners mining in places where electricity is included in the rent, or where the mining is done on somebody else's computer without their knowledge (including botnets and "browser mining").  And a notable mention for purchased electricity that is "free" because it would have gone to heating.

Didn't I just see a posting in here from a game author wondering how he could embed a Bitcoin miner into his GPU-intensive game without taking away from graphics performance?

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper wallets instead.
Mr.Bitcoin

Activity: 34

MrBitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 06:01:49 PM

Yep,
And a notable mention for purchased electricity that is "free" because it would have gone to heating.
The weather is a changin' in the good ol' USA! Cold fronts, rain, soon snow, and me warming by the ice-blue glow of my miners. Ahhh, a little slice of heaven right there. Really, what else could anybody want?

0100110101110010010000100110100101110100010000110110111101101001011011100010111 0011000110110111101101101
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1344

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2011, 06:06:44 PM

Yep,
And a notable mention for purchased electricity that is "free" because it would have gone to heating.
The weather is a changin' in the good ol' USA! Cold fronts, rain, soon snow, and me warming by the ice-blue glow of my miners. Ahhh, a little slice of heaven right there. Really, what else could anybody want?

Except that I believe most homes in the US are heated by natural gas because it costs about 1/3 as much for the same amount of heat.  So it'll work for some people, but won't be cost effective for others if they have to compete with miners for whom cost is no concern.  At least however the electricity is cheaper in many places in the winter compared to the summer.  All my miners are off, by the way... BTC much easier for me to acquire just by buying it.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper wallets instead.
bonker

Activity: 462

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 08:12:02 PM

I'm getting sick of your unscientifically unrobust non-arguements up in here!

BTC: 1FU1EX4xCEt26rezoNaEZ1rhbqA4VVP8pq
LTC: Li8UYJprncRwmNzvRs53UG714Lcps2Yy8R
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 08:16:55 PM

Each difficulty decrease was lower in magnitude than the last one both in absolute and relative magnitudes. The next one would be smaller than the network variance over the expected time period. Sorry that is all I can give you, but I think it is significant enough to draw a conclusion.

Can you type up some numbers and post here to show this?

CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 08:18:02 PM

Smiley

Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1554

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 03:12:33 AM

Please people, if you are going to be unscientific, do it robustly!  Wink
Chucksta

Activity: 168

View Profile
September 16, 2011, 07:10:59 AM

Please people, if you are going to be unscientific, do it robustly!  Wink

LOL Smiley
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Drama Junkie

View Profile
September 17, 2011, 11:16:26 AM

Can you type up some numbers and post here to show this?
I don't really care about it that much to do this Smiley

worldinacoin

Activity: 658

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2011, 12:09:14 PM

I mine 90% for the fun of it.  So if the prices decrease, it is a minus factor but not much, I enjoy bitcoin as a hobby.  Maybe those who are doing it for the money may be dropping off.  But it depends as long as variable costs is still lower than the bitcoin prices miners will continue.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.