Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:20:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Monopoly  (Read 3808 times)
mizerydearia (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 01:04:38 PM
Last edit: September 09, 2011, 06:12:10 PM by mizerydearia

Continuation of https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=40934.msg516136#msg516136   Idea originally thought of by Blackout.

Discuss ideas for a Bitcoin Monopoly game information and perhaps additionally someone (or several someones) can take initiative in contacting Hasbro with effort in helping to make Bitcoin Monopoly a reality.

Come discuss at Freenode #bitopoly

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 01:50:16 PM
Last edit: September 09, 2011, 03:38:57 PM by molecular

Continuation of https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=40934.msg516136#msg516136

Discuss ideas for a Bitcoin Monopoly game information and perhaps additionally someone (or several someones) can take initiative in contacting Hasbro with effort in helping to make Bitcoin Monopoly a reality.

transferring the "card-ideas" from other thread...:

• Exchange Coding Error - collect 2^9 - 1 BTC
  • Grid Blackout - your mining farm is offline for an hour - pay 10 BTC per mining farm
  • Bank Fraud - pay 51% of your cash
  • HELLO MY DEAR FRIEND, PLEASE HELP, I NEED TO GET RID OF USD 10,000,000
  • You bought a product using Bitocin - roll dice: odd number: you receive goods, even number: you've been frauded, pay 5 BTC
  • Rollback - each players last action is annulled
  • From sale of socks you get 50 BTC.

EDIT: this idea was born by Blackout in this post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=40934.msg515887#msg515887

Quote from: blackout
In Monopoly of the future, will there be a:

"Bitcoin error in your favor, collect $4000 dollars"

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Blackout

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2011, 03:35:54 PM

Awww man I came up with the idea and you don't even include my quote in the thread!

Tis ok I forgive you.

Actually, this would be a great programming project, create a bunch of standard board games or board game clones
that can be run in multiplayermode on the web and played for bitcoins.  So you could challenge your friend or friends to monopoly with X amount of BTC from each player in the pot.  You could do this with monopoly, risk, stratego, yahtzee, chess, scrabble,
pretty much anything.  I guess the site that provides this would hold the coins in escrow as the game is played so there would need to be some trust there but I'm sure trust could be built up over time as people could start playing with just micro amounts until the site builds up some reputation.

Bctontilt poker room has been doing fairly well, so I imagine a site like this would do fairly well, but I'm not a programmer.

http://blackout.com
Insane writings for an Outsane world: http://blackoutsblog.com

Blackout Radio on android or iphone DL TuneIn APP & search for Blackout Radio http://tunein.com/tuner/?StationId=136506

https://secure.btcontilt.com/register.php?referred=Blackout (BTC Poker)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 03:41:53 PM

Awww man I came up with the idea and you don't even include my quote in the thread!

So true. I credited you in 2nd post, all I can do.

About your idea: it might work, but it'd be a lot of work, not just programming. Also note: there's awesome implementations of many board games for iPad (I'm not a fan, but some games on there are just plain "well done"). Well, if just Apple would use Bitcoin, haha (prays they wont roll their own chain)

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
ssaCEO

Activity: 568
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2011, 03:50:46 PM

Developing a Monopoly-style game has been one of our goals for a long time. Right now, we've got ChipWars, (a simple hexwar game, played with coins, which is similar to Risk). Parker Bros/Hasbro holds some of the most closely-guarded patents in the industry on "Monopoly" itself. Real-money Monopoly is a wonderful idea, just like it was played for $100 bills at the Playboy Mansion back in the '70s.

Our plan is to introduce something similar, but with unique rules.

If there are any programmers who'd like to work on something like this on the Sapphire platform, please get in touch through help@strikesapphire.com.

Required qualifications are a deep understanding of the LAMP stack; you can look at any SQL query and make it faster and more scalable at the same time; and extreme AS3 skills, as in you could write your own game engine within a couple weeks. Knowledge of Away3d and/or Papervision would be a big plus. We aren't currently hiring for full-time positions, but we'd like to get in touch with coders who are interested in working on the next generation of real-money turn-based games, particularly people who are already involved in the Bitcoin community and understand the terrain.

Edit: I should add that our platform already has all the hooks and most of the multiplayer / tournament / async style code required to run a game like this, and mostly it's a matter of plugging in rule sets and graphics. But before leaping, we want to create something really unique that makes the game truly our own, because we're all about original work, not ripping anybody off. So a turn-based hybrid between Monopoly and SimCity (or the original Dune) is closer to what we have in mind.

Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 3050

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2011, 03:53:27 PM

Continuation of https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=40934.msg516136#msg516136

Don't contact Hasbro - change the name to Bitopoly and you don't need to.  There are many legal Monopoly ripoffs already.

https://nastyscam.com - landing page up     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming soon!
OGNasty has early onset dementia; keep this in mind when discussing his past actions.
rainingbitcoins

Activity: 728
Merit: 252

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 03:53:57 PM

A dog sniffs out your Silk Road package. Go Directly To Jail.

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...The Open..............
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
█████████▀        ███████
████████▀        ▄█████████
█████████       ▄▀▀██████████
█████████     ▄▀   ▀█████████
██████████  ▄▀      █████████
█████████▀▀       ▄████████
███████        ▄█████████
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 04:01:03 PM

I would LOVE to play monopoly with Bitcoin! 
ssaCEO

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2011, 04:47:59 PM

The more I think about it, the more I think you should leave the US and work for us  Grin

evoorhees
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 05:01:09 PM

The more I think about it, the more I think you should leave the US and work for us  Grin

Well that's nice of you but I'm not a developer... though I do know how to make text bold or italic in HTML  Cool
Blackout

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2011, 05:14:32 PM

LOL!

saphhire - sounds great but you don't take U.S. players.. (cry)  which i don't quite understand yet since bitcoin is non regulated

I agree the games could be clones.

evoorhees or anyone else - the best we can do now is XBOX Live version of Monopoly.  I've played a few friends for bitcoins
and it's rather fun. One of us hold the bitoins in escrow and just sends to the winner.

Monopoly Streets is great for this...  only up to 4 players though.

XBOX Live Tag: Blackouts Box

http://blackout.com
Insane writings for an Outsane world: http://blackoutsblog.com

Blackout Radio on android or iphone DL TuneIn APP & search for Blackout Radio http://tunein.com/tuner/?StationId=136506

https://secure.btcontilt.com/register.php?referred=Blackout (BTC Poker)
evoorhees
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 05:34:21 PM

LOL!

saphhire - sounds great but you don't take U.S. players.. (cry)  which i don't quite understand yet since bitcoin is non regulated

I agree the games could be clones.

evoorhees or anyone else - the best we can do now is XBOX Live version of Monopoly.  I've played a few friends for bitcoins
and it's rather fun. One of us hold the bitoins in escrow and just sends to the winner.

Monopoly Streets is great for this...  only up to 4 players though.

XBOX Live Tag: Blackouts Box

Oh cool!!  I have an xbox and the normal version of Monopoly for it (4 players). Hmmmm Blackout how hard would it be to make a simple website to coordinate games and bets?

ssaCEO

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2011, 05:37:34 PM

I know... I know. A purely skill-based game like Monopoly might actually be perfectly legal under US law, too. So I'm hoping we'll be able to spin off a board game site at some point for US players. Our take on Poker was that it was OK too, until the FT/PS shutdowns went into effect... but the problem for us at this point is that once you have money in our system, you can gamble it on games of luck like Roulette, and at that point it doesn't really matter what method you used to get money in or out of the system, it's definitely not legal in the States.

If we can make the transition to more board/skill-based Bitcoin games over time, and have enough to offer a suite of them for US players, then we definitely will.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 06:02:04 PM

I know... I know. A purely skill-based game like Monopoly might actually be perfectly legal under US law, too.

purely skill-based? Monopoly? I tend to think there's too much luck involved in monopoly, especially when I loose, of course.

mizerydearia (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
September 09, 2011, 06:21:02 PM

How about when you tight?
Anonymous

September 09, 2011, 06:22:14 PM

There has to be a way to place the game servers in a neutral-zone and allow anybody to gamble, no questions asked. This is the internet we're talking about. It's supposed to be a sovereign entity. I don't know why law is such an issue especially with Bitcoin of all things.
ssaCEO

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2011, 07:19:34 PM

There has to be a way to place the game servers in a neutral-zone and allow anybody to gamble, no questions asked. This is the internet we're talking about. It's supposed to be a sovereign entity. I don't know why law is such an issue especially with Bitcoin of all things.

Yeah well, since I've expostulated on America and the hopelessness of everything else, why not tackle this question? It's a natch.

Sovereignty? Sovereignty's a polite word for a self-proclaimed right to use deadly force in defense of what's otherwise morally or logically indefensible; and continued sovereignty is the ability to do so successfully on an ongoing basis, mostly by pillaging your own population for their naturally just earnings and sending their first-born children to have their legs blown off and/or sending their second-born through X-rays at the airport to have their nuts irradiated.

Sovereignty's the big game huntin' law of the jungle. And if you think having access to the internet on some ISP or over a VPN or a dedicated server in Berserkerstan can buy you an ounce of sovereignty, think 'gain.

I happened to be sitting at a friendly poker game with 5 or 6 FBI agents back in 1999... I won't get too detailed here, but I remember the conversation turned to Carnivore and whether or not they could really monitor what was happening on the internet. One agent said, "Unfortunately, that ship's sailed." And the rest agreed.

Those guys didn't give up. They got it figured out now to the point where giving you an internet connection is twice as effective as putting you in front of a TV screen for marketing, and about a million times more effective for monitoring.

Get down to the bottom line -- how's a neutral, self-proclaimed sovereign online gaming house gonna get its online profits? Paypal freezes accounts over about $3k. Move more than $10k into a bank anywhere in the world without a license and paying your taxes, forget it, it'll never get to you. In Greece, you can't spend more than €1500 in a cash transaction or it's considered money laundering. The rest of the world will follow as austerity sets in. Austerity's the new word for 666. Move anything through credit cards you're screwed. Want to avoid the mark of the beast? Try Bitcoin -- one exchange runs away with all your money, another exchange can't process more than $10k a month, another exchange suddenly freezes withdrawal methods. Make all the money you want in the neutral zone -- it's just more for the real sovereigns to collect at their leisure.

The problem with online gambling isn't running the site. It's actually getting your money for running it. And it turns out that all payment methods on the internet -- including Bitcoin -- are tied up in this Gordian knot where without sovereignty -- and the force to back it, or the money to buy it -- it'll just go 'round and round 'til you're either in prison or ruined.

And that's why we don't take American players. It's called pickin' your battles. And that's why you can't just startup one of these things without thinking about the consequences.

BBmodBB

Activity: 154

BTC = FREEDOM IS OUR ONLY HOPE!

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2014, 03:26:07 AM

transferring the "card-ideas" from other thread...:

• Exchange Coding Error - collect 2^9 - 1 BTC
  • Grid Blackout - your mining farm is offline for an hour - pay 10 BTC per mining farm
  • Bank Fraud - pay 51% of your cash
  • HELLO MY DEAR FRIEND, PLEASE HELP, I NEED TO GET RID OF USD 10,000,000
  • You bought a product using Bitocin - roll dice: odd number: you receive goods, even number: you've been frauded, pay 5 BTC
  • Rollback - each players last action is annulled
  • From sale of socks you get 50 BTC.

EDIT: this idea was born by Blackout in this post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=40934.msg515887#msg515887

Quote from: blackout
In Monopoly of the future, will there be a:

"Bitcoin error in your favor, collect $4000 dollars"

" From sale of socks you get 50 BTC "

^those must be some freaking awesome socks man!!!!  Grin

*BTCitcoin Wales Club*-- message me for details!--///\\\TELEKINETICS///\\can manipulate objects with their mind. Telekinesis is one of the basis of many superpowers that are based on "controlling/manipulating", it may evolve to the point that a Telekinetic can control anything at a subatomic level.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:28:45 AM

This could be made into an awesome gambling game, like playing Monopoly with real dollars Smiley.   I believe in regular Monopoly you start off with $1500, which is a pretty expensive gambling game, but the money can be broken down into smaller denominations.

This would be really fun to play online for real money...
zetaray

Activity: 658

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 03:40:49 AM

I love this idea! To overcome patent issues. Use world cities for each property, airports for railway stations, use oil and nuclear for utilities, and we have a game.

Will definitely play if developed.

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀