Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:35:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hacking a BFL Single/25 to 48gh and beyond.....  (Read 8350 times)
southerngentuk

Activity: 1316
Merit: 252

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 02:21:19 AM

Also, installing a 7.5K resistor was very successful.  Gained 3Ghs (57-60) and error rate went down to around .34% (was 1.9% at 57Ghs).  Temps went up 4 Degrees

though. Tongue  Still this mod seems to be a very easy way to push an underperforming single/jala up to speed.

This sounds g8, any chance of a pic identifying that resistor.

R36 and R11 I think.  Will be between two of the ASICs. Should have 828 on the top.  It will be a 7K resistor.
Ok, I see R36,R11 in the photos above one for each side. Not really into SMT but think I can do this. Are these a 0402 package ?

Thanx

SUGAR
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2240

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 04:12:47 AM

Sounds fun Smiley did you ever get the rest of the caps from mouser or Huh want to see if it makes any difference on your 1v supply issue.

edit: saw the chewed on one, thought he wanted to much as it looked like he arced the power input area pretty bad.
Got the wrong size ones, next time I'll use my watchmaker's calipers to get the sizes right.

As for the price, it's ebay so it goes what it goes for. Actually $200 is a good price if it works, and if not $25 a chip plus reballing could be worse. I should have it Tuesday, we'll see what happened to it pretty quickly.

C
miaviator
Donator

Activity: 686
Merit: 519

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2014, 04:39:25 AM

Hey Lightfoot,

What do you think you could do to a BFL mini-rig?

I think it's 16 little singles?  480Ghash.

freddyfarnsworth

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 05:05:50 AM

Sounds fun Smiley did you ever get the rest of the caps from mouser or Huh want to see if it makes any difference on your 1v supply issue.

edit: saw the chewed on one, thought he wanted to much as it looked like he arced the power input area pretty bad.
Got the wrong size ones, next time I'll use my watchmaker's calipers to get the sizes right.

As for the price, it's ebay so it goes what it goes for. Actually $200 is a good price if it works, and if not $25 a chip plus reballing could be worse. I should have it Tuesday, we'll see what happened to it pretty quickly.

C

Yes you and few others could take any advantage of it, if the miner is fried.
Will definitely be sending you work, as either advice on where to go, or my own for rechipping if I get a suitable miner somewhere.
Keep waiting for the market to get flooded with em as the bigtimers find time to sell em off or something Smiley
cheap, like the old server powersupplys  pennies on the dollar.

BTC: 1F1X9dN2PRortYaDkq89YJDbQ72i3F5N3h MEOW: KAbvy9jrrajvN5WLo7RWBsYqYfJKyN9WLf DOGE: DAyKSrTiVeRZaReTu1Cyf5Je6qPdKTuKKE
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 07:46:51 PM

Hey Lightfoot,

What do you think you could do to a BFL mini-rig?

I think it's 16 little singles?  480Ghash.

Honest answer, not sure never seen one. However although the little single (aka jally) boards were specified for the mini-rig, I think they went with the new style single boards running flat-out at 60gh each (8 boards).

From what I have heard, they used the best of the best chips in those, so all chips are probably hashing at full rate. Therefore, not a whole lot to do other than enjoy the thing.

C
Tegija

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Just Fun!

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 09:09:02 PM

i have some 60GH/s singles here. if you would have interest to "push" them up, i would not have anything against.  Cool. no risk no fun!

would you have interest to try?

Where you come from?

if you have interest, answer here or just PM me.

Enjoy your life!
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 10:49:59 PM

i have some 60GH/s singles here. if you would have interest to "push" them up, i would not have anything against.  Cool. no risk no fun!

would you have interest to try?

Where you come from?

if you have interest, answer here or just PM me.
Once again, if they're running at 60 then there's not too much further they can go. We could try swapping out the resistors and flashing the firmware, but unless they are seriously underperforming it would only be a few gh of extra speed.

The systems with opportunity seem to be the 25's, 50's, and jalapenos.

C
Tegija

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Just Fun!

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 12:05:49 PM

they are making pretty exact 60 GH each.
not more and not less.

i was already hoping that it´s possible to make those "aircraft turbines" little more effective so that they make enough hashpower equal to noise what they are making...  Angry

thanks for your informations!

Enjoy your life!
daserpent1

Activity: 435
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 06:07:53 PM

What kind of cooling are you doing on it? And whats the max you have hit so far? I am really interested in this overclock because i think its worthless to power up my Single  Cry
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 07:58:46 PM

Well, got the chipmunk single today, interesting little thing. It seems to be an October generation single/30, has the really good heat sink, and no fan on it. Just one fan on the end that the guy replaced with some "quiet" fan which means less cooling.

Anyway yes, it does have a hole in the side, looks like an iceberg. And yes, it would not work when plugged into a computer, no recognition, no FT_PROG access, zilch. Dead chip, right?

Wrong.

If there's one thing I learned from Atlas Shrugged, aside from the fact that sex can be boring, icky and kind of rape-creepy it's the words of Atkison, who said "Check your premises". So I looked at the cable (mine, fine), then looked at the USB port. And found that the USB port was a tangle of wires inside, looks like it somehow ripped itself apart.

That would do it.

So I went to my junker jalapeno board, heated it up on the preheater, 375F for 5 mins, then 400c for 30 seconds to float off it's USB port. Did the same on the bad board, put the replacement port on, 45 seconds of heat at 400 after preheat and gentle pressure on the back, and....

Up it came. Hashed at 32gh at 75C which is kinda hot for a single. I'll find an old fan and put one on for the moment while I figure something else out.

I really think though that I could fix a rainy day... It's never dull. But now I have space for 8 more chips. Well, 6 more. But getting there....

C
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 11:38:43 PM

This single is really interesting. It's an early October model, hashes at a solid 32gh which means it is hitting the 30gh limiter in the software which means A grade chips. The heat sink is the good copper type and is secured to the chips with a glue so strong I am not trying to remove it. It's super stuck on there, so I'm leaving that alone forever.

The odd thing is it has only one fan connector, no sinks on the bottom other than the bottom heat sink, and only one fan that the DPO replaced with a "quiet fan" that doesn't move air for crap. Temps were at 80c, which was hot.

So.... I got a fan with two broken blades from my box of crap, put it on the unit with standoffs from all my now parted jallies, and put a 40 ohm resistor in series with the inside fan so the darn thing wouldn't vibrate too much. Best I can do. Seems to be in the 60's now, will let it hash for awhile.

However it really needs two fan ports. Well, four. And a second fan, and 6 more power control chips, and a power chip, and parts from my other non-working jally, and six more chips....... :-)

I'll work on that. Soon.

C
miaviator
Donator

Activity: 686
Merit: 519

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2014, 12:43:50 AM

they are making pretty exact 60 GH each.
not more and not less.

i was already hoping that it´s possible to make those "aircraft turbines" little more effective so that they make enough hashpower equal to noise what they are making...  Angry

thanks for your informations!

What kind of cooling are you doing on it? And whats the max you have hit so far? I am really interested in this overclock because i think its worthless to power up my Single  Cry

Sell them to me.  I might donate one for lightfoot to tear apart.

lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 11:08:05 PM

Interesting thing to note: Last night my 32gh Jalapeno blew up it's power supply (a crummy 300 watt ATX one from Ebay, $20) so I put it on my CX500 along with a high power burning Chili and the 48gh single. The single dropped off line this afternoon and went to zero gh hash rate, which was very odd. So I moved the 20gh unit onto the the CX500, moved the Jally to the other CX500 and now everything is stable.

So it does appear that power supply issues (yes, the 500 watt Corsair was overloaded) can cause oddball issues. I just ordered a 750 watt Corsair to come by Friday, that will fix the problem long term:

Also note that crappy power supplies are not worth it for miners.

C
nbtcminer

Activity: 249
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 02:14:10 AM

Interesting thing to note: Last night my 32gh Jalapeno blew up it's power supply (a crummy 300 watt ATX one from Ebay, $20) so I put it on my CX500 along with a high power burning Chili and the 48gh single. The single dropped off line this afternoon and went to zero gh hash rate, which was very odd. So I moved the 20gh unit onto the the CX500, moved the Jally to the other CX500 and now everything is stable.

So it does appear that power supply issues (yes, the 500 watt Corsair was overloaded) can cause oddball issues. I just ordered a 750 watt Corsair to come by Friday, that will fix the problem long term:

Also note that crappy power supplies are not worth it for miners.

C

Funny that you are writing about using a CX500; I was just commenting on a post about the 12v available amps and this happened to be the second post I ran across! Out of curiosity what A does your CX500 say for your 12v line?
freddyfarnsworth

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 03:37:50 AM
Last edit: February 06, 2014, 03:53:45 AM by freddyfarnsworth

12v x 38a = 456w

Single Rail but only push to 30a to keep it safe.

not rated for 24/7 full load, the rail amps available are "Surge" specs.

38a surge 30a 24/7

If you want bulletproof PS then follow this thread, cheap too. pennies on the dollar for old server P/S.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=379677.0

No more soldering for the tool less, put the toy PSs back into the game boxes.

here are some examples, 12v 60a 90+ efficient:
https://www.google.com/#q=Z750P-00

BTC: 1F1X9dN2PRortYaDkq89YJDbQ72i3F5N3h MEOW: KAbvy9jrrajvN5WLo7RWBsYqYfJKyN9WLf DOGE: DAyKSrTiVeRZaReTu1Cyf5Je6qPdKTuKKE
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 06:04:34 AM

Just got the 750. The 500 was not happy; things are much more merry on a 750 watt unit. And I now have more room for some more singles.

Other than that everything is working fine. Still a solid 48gh, that one I fixed is at a solid 31, just keeping an eye out for some chips to boost it to 60.
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2014, 08:56:34 PM

Interesting: I don't like the Corsair 750m as much as the 500. Although it does have more power without a doubt, the ribbon cables it uses are really kind of undersized in terms of wire gauge. There are "four" PCIe plugs, but two of them are on the end of each ribbon cable, and the gauge of the wire going to them both is a bit smaller than the gauge of the 500's single plug. Result is what's the frigging point?

Right now I have a 48gh single running on one side, and a 32gh single+35gh chili running on the other. The second wire is getting a bit warm going back to the power supply, which of course means overload and *inefficiency*. And although I can run one 24gh overclocked jally on a 12 volt line, I can't run the 20gh jally on the same line, different plug because *it* gets a bit warm.

Drat. So if you're looking for power supplies, 2 500 watt units are going to be better than a 750 in more ways than one.

C
qosmio

Activity: 147

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 03:23:36 PM
Last edit: February 12, 2014, 04:30:10 PM by qosmio

I have shorted power rail and soon with help of this will get my bfl50 working again

here is picture of shorted FET bfl single 50 , see the burnt brown thing, luckily I did not try other psu like so many others causing more damage.

who sells those FET and what type are they , name? tnx

testing Smiley
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 04:49:26 PM

First, I would read the numbers off all six, post them, then remove them. They sometimes used different parts.

Then I would try powering it up *BUT NOT MINING ANYTHING*. The other three FETs shuould be enough to power up the chips (note they will fail on mining) but what you need to see is if there is 1 volt between that pad over on the right and ground.

If not, the driver chip is also blown and this becomes harder. If it does show 1 volt shut down immediately and order the FETs. Remember, they have solder on their backs that attach to the board so you have to heat the whole chip not just the um. pins on the ends.

C
zCoinz

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 12, 2014, 09:56:54 PM

how much for you to supply everything and send to UK a 48gh rig?

cheers

zCz
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: