Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 06:30:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Private key to bitcoina ddress on Windows 95  (Read 5395 times)
mmitech
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

things you own end up owning you

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 09:41:40 PM

I didn't read all posts, but seriously windows 95 ? why ?

if you are just playing around and not that you cant afford a new PC that can run windows 7 or Ubuntu 12.04 then I really want to know why Win95 ?

if you are from EU and if you can not afford a new PC I can donate a used machine that I do not use anymore, it has a Core2Duo 2.33 GHz and 3GB DDR2, and 320 or 500 GB (don't remember) and it is a Lenovo SFF that comes with windows Vista licence that you can downgrade to win XP if you wish.
Johanakerblom (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 09:48:06 PM

if you are just playing around and not that you cant afford a new PC that can run windows 7 or Ubuntu 12.04 then I really want to know why Win95 ?

if you are from EU and if you can not afford a new PC I can donate a used machine that I do not use anymore, it has a Core2Duo 2.33 GHz and 3GB DDR2, and 320 or 500 GB (don't remember) and it is a Lenovo SFF that comes with windows Vista licence that you can downgrade to win XP if you wish.

Thank you for the offer, but i'm fine Smiley

Older machines maybe have less surveillance on them like these: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57617244-38/nsa-reportedly-using-radio-waves-to-tap-offline-computers/
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1016

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 09:53:32 PM

OK, here you go: a zip file with a portable Python 2.5.4, that you can unzip to any folder on your Win95 machine. I've also added NoBrainr in there so you can see if it works. (The "App" subfolder)

So once this is unzipped, just cd to that App folder, and type:
..\python.exe NoBrainr.py

If you get output similar to the below line, it means everything's fine and I can proceed with the actual script...

Code:
1G2YmiFZmhrQvvCPapTSXLoXF6Dm6FVWSm == fonts night lab! canon atop dx madly
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 09:57:39 PM

I had the computer lying around, i though i would generate addresses offline with it and then keep it offline in case there is a virus that can upload the addresses that the computer generated offline once it gets online again.

Well the problem is that with a Windows version that old you don't even know whether you are getting cryptographically secure private keys. MS software that old did have a weak random number generator if I remember correctly.

You know you can install Linux on old computers. A debian wheezy + xfce installation uses barely any resources. Not sure how feasible that might be for you though. Depends on your skill level.

I want to generate the private keys myself

Oh, I see you are generating the private keys manually using dice? So you just want to do the EC math and hashing on the Win 95 computer? Unique use case.

You know if I were in your situation I would worry about whether the address corresponds with the private key you have. Using well tested, widely used software gives you at least some degree of comfort that the hashing is done correctly. Not sure the same can be said about bespoke one off scripts.
flatfly
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 10:02:44 PM

I had the computer lying around, i though i would generate addresses offline with it and then keep it offline in case there is a virus that can upload the addresses that the computer generated offline once it gets online again.

Well the problem is that with a Windows version that old you don't even know whether you are getting cryptographically secure private keys. MS software that old did have a weak random number generator if I remember correctly.

You know you can install Linux on old computers. A debian wheezy + xfce installation uses barely any resources. Not sure how feasible that might be for you though. Depends on your skill level.

Oh, I see you are generating the private keys manually using dice? So you just want to do the EC math and hashing on the Win 95 computer? Unique use case.

You know if I were in your situation I would worry about whether the address corresponds with the private key you have. Using well tested, widely used software gives you at least some degree of comfort that the hashing is done correctly. Not sure the same can be said about bespoke one off scripts.

Converting a hex number to a bitcoin address does not require a very complex script, and I've actually worked with that for a couple years now... Also my scripts use the python-ecdsa library for the more critical parts, which has been battle tested in the field (by electrum).

And finally the integrity of the result could be cross-checked using the verifymessage function of bitcoind or electrum (for instance).
flatfly
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 10:29:43 PM

My script is almost complete.

Here's what it looks like.  The source code is around 30 lines.  Hopefully, this is what you are looking for.

Johanakerblom (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 10:34:01 PM
Last edit: January 20, 2014, 10:50:36 PM by Johanakerblom

My script is almost complete.

Here's what it looks like.  The source code is around 30 lines.  Hopefully, this is what you are looking for.

https://i.imgur.com/Mq76ipk.png

That does look neat!

Sadly i'm stuck trying to unzip it, how embarrassing, so far i've tried http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/downlinks/unzip.php but i can't find the .exe file after i install it.

Can you maybe make it downloadable as a folder?

Edit: nevermind! I manged to unzip it

Edit2: Yup, 7z did the trick
flatfly
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 10:49:23 PM

Folders always need to be archived to be downloaded...
Perhaps you will have more luck with 7z:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7z920.exe
http://www.7-zip.org/

It's just 1MB and open source.

I will need to go offline now but will be back a bit later, or tomorrow (not sure yet)
Johanakerblom (OP)

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 10:59:08 PM

Python seems to work Smiley

NoBrainr.py still asks for a program to be opened with.

See you later or tomorrow.

Edit: i wanna sleep, let's call it a day.

Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 10:59:31 PM

Converting a hex number to a bitcoin address does not require a very complex script, and I've actually worked with that for a couple years now... Also my scripts use the python-ecdsa library for the more critical parts, which has been battle tested in the field (by electrum).

And finally the integrity of the result could be cross-checked using the verifymessage function of bitcoind or electrum (for instance).

Your script will sign messages too? He will need the private key to sign messages and since the private key is not supposed to leave the offline system he will need message signing software installed on that offline system. Not sure whether bitcoin-qt/d or electrum will work on Win 95 so your script will have to do the signing. The verification he can do on his online system, no problem.
Johanakerblom (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 08:52:42 AM

The script does not need to sign messages.

When i want to spend the coins i will import the private key to an online system.
Johanakerblom (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 08:59:24 AM

I don't understand this part.

I have located the app folder but then what?
Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 09:36:04 AM

The script does not need to sign messages.

When i want to spend the coins i will import the private key to an online system.

I was referring to flatfly's post above where he talks about how a message signature would provide proof of the correct address.
e4xit

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 10:02:06 AM

Older machines maybe have less surveillance on them like these: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57617244-38/nsa-reportedly-using-radio-waves-to-tap-offline-computers/

So you are so security paranoid (above article) yet deciding to use still a very old operating system with guaranteed holes and flaws in... Ok bud; good luck!

Not your keys, not your coins.
CoinJoin, always.
RoxxR

Activity: 208
Merit: 148

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 10:07:12 AM

So you are so security paranoid (above article) yet deciding to use still a very old operating system with guaranteed holes and flaws in... Ok bud; good luck!

Using an antiquated OS actually does make some sense in this context.  Provided it is used on an airgapped machine, of course.
Johanakerblom (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 03:15:53 PM

I want to be able to use the clipboard for input and output.
Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 03:21:58 PM

What?? Linux has a clipboard too.
RoxxR

Activity: 208
Merit: 148

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 05:55:48 PM

What?? Linux has a clipboard too.

When did he mention Linux? And the condescending tone of your comments is sometimes annoying. Please stop doing that.
flatfly
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 10:46:52 PM

I don't understand this part.

I have located the app folder but then what?

Open a command prompt (Start Menu/Run/"cmd")
then type:
 cd Path\to\App  (eg: cd c:\python25\app\)
and finally:
flatfly
Legendary

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 11:00:48 PM

Your script will sign messages too? He will need the private key to sign messages and since the private key is not supposed to leave the offline system he will need message signing software installed on that offline system. Not sure whether bitcoin-qt/d or electrum will work on Win 95 so your script will have to do the signing. The verification he can do on his online system, no problem.

My script doesn't sign messages but doesn't need to: there's the excellent PyWallet for that. I'm not 100% sure, but based on a first look at the code, I think it should work under Win95.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: