Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:33:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Code access  (Read 706 times)
BitCoinDream (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1204

The revolution will be digital

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 08:07:32 PM

As I have seen that Gavin and a few others have the access to Bitcoin code. This is historically as they were involved into Bitcoin development from early age. But does it mean no new guy will get access to the Bitcoin code ? If it is possible, then how ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4613

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 08:11:51 PM

Here you go:
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin

Have fun.
BitCoinDream (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 08:18:41 PM

U have given me the code link, but I know this. I wanted to know, just like Gavin can modify and release a next version of Bitcoin-QT, how can I ? What is required to be part of the Bitcoin core development team ?

cryptomining

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 08:20:42 PM

As I have seen that Gavin and a few others have the access to Bitcoin code. This is historically as they were involved into Bitcoin development from early age. But does it mean no new guy will get access to the Bitcoin code ? If it is possible, then how ?

its open source, hack away, start a altcoin.
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 08:21:43 PM

U have given me the code link, but I know this. I wanted to know, just like Gavin can modify and release a next version of Bitcoin-QT, how can I ? What is required to be part of the Bitcoin core development team ?

Did you read the words under development process on that page?

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
BitCoinDream (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 08:29:20 PM

Yes, I read it before I post this topic. Read this...

If it is a simple/trivial/non-controversial change, then one of the Bitcoin development team members simply pulls it.

Bitcoin development team members - So they are the code master. So they control the code ? Why ? I want to control the code as well. How ?

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 08:34:36 PM

There is a button labeled "fork".  Fork the QT client repo to one you control and you can do whatever you want with it.  

Now if you are asking how to you convince millions of people to download your client over the one they already know and trust ... well that is a different non-technical problem.  Convince people you are trust worthy.
BitCoinDream (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 08:39:36 PM

There is a button labeled "fork".  Fork the QT client repo to one you control and you can do whatever you want with it.  

Now if you are asking how to you convince millions of people to download your client over the one they already know and trust ... well that is a different non-technical problem.  Convince people you are trust worthy.

LoLz.... so the bottom line becomes No one controls  Bitcoin is a vague statement. Core Development team controls it as millions are already convinced. If u dont agree with them, u end up on an altcoin.... right ?

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 08:42:43 PM

If it is a simple/trivial/non-controversial change, then one of the Bitcoin development team members simply pulls it.

Bitcoin development team members - So they are the code master. So they control the code ? Why ? I want to control the code as well. How ?

It kind of sounds like you don't understand how open source software works.  Anyone can control their copy of the code.  If there is something you want to control and implement, go to the link above, download it and make the changes you want.  If everyone else likes the changes and wants to use them they will, if they don't, then they won't and you may have a fork.  Just like there are a number of different bitcoin clients that implement the protocol, you can do so too, either from the code referenced above or from scratch.

If you want to be part of the core devs of https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin, make a substantial contribution in doing some coding, testing etc.  Take part in the community and earn the respect by writing quality code, that is well tested, well documented, and useful.  Essentially do the things under this link:
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin#development-process

BitCoinDream (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 08:55:56 PM

It kind of sounds like you don't understand how open source software works.  Anyone can control their copy of the code.  If there is something you want to control and implement, go to the link above, download it and make the changes you want.  If everyone else likes the changes and wants to use them they will, if they don't, then they won't and you may have a fork.  Just like there are a number of different bitcoin clients that implement the protocol, you can do so too, either from the code referenced above or from scratch.

If you want to be part of the core devs of https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin, make a substantial contribution in doing some coding, testing etc.  Take part in the community and earn the respect by writing quality code, that is well tested, well documented, and useful.  Essentially do the things under this link:

U probably missed my first question and judged me on my last answer. I asked about the process of getting into core dev team. Have anyone really been the part of core dev team after BTC touched $1000 last year. AFAIK NO. You are talking about, if people like. So what, if people like and use ? My code will be accepted. Will I be accepted in the core team ? Is anyone really allowed there anymore ? It seems this is becoming dictatorship, if there is no well defined way to be part of the core dev team. If everyone else likes the changes is not a well defined process.

p.s. Bitcoin is not like Mozilla. It is a financial project claiming decentralized currency. Effect on the code changes of Bitcoin has far wider effect than changes on Mozilla.

cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 09:19:09 PM

What did they say when you emailed them to ask?

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
eatingthenight

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 09:35:21 PM

Normally you become a member by making lots of quality commits over a long period of time. A project of this size should not and will not let any person who feels like it start making changes that is careless and not in the interest of bitcoin. You can't tell me you would feel more safe if any tom, dick, or jane could modify the satoshi client without any code review.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 11:19:49 PM

U probably missed my first question and judged me on my last answer. I asked about the process of getting into core dev team. Have anyone really been the part of core dev team after BTC touched $1000 last year. AFAIK NO. You are talking about, if people like. So what, if people like and use ? My code will be accepted. Will I be accepted in the core team ? Is anyone really allowed there anymore ? It seems this is becoming dictatorship, if there is no well defined way to be part of the core dev team. If everyone else likes the changes is not a well defined process.

p.s. Bitcoin is not like Mozilla. It is a financial project claiming decentralized currency. Effect on the code changes of Bitcoin has far wider effect than changes on Mozilla.

Just because you don't like the answer does not change it. Write lots of quality, tested code etc as above.   Or write your own client etc.

Remember, changes to the code are different than changes to the protocol.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: