Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:40:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to hack into a wallet with your stolen Bitcoins.  (Read 2226 times)
tucoslice (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 11:20:11 PM

I know it's probably impossible but I'm just trying to think of any way to get my coins back.  Some lowlife on Craigslist "sold" me a KnC Miner for 5.75 Bitcoins and then stopped responding promptly after I sent the final payment and of course I never got the miner.  I know I should have seen all the signs during the negotiation process that he was a fake.  I feel like such a fool right now.  The whole thing just makes me sick. 
Here is the email exchange between us:

Me (via Craigslist reply):  I know this is a long shot but do you still have the miner for sale?

Creep:  Yes, send me an email to BitcoinTexas@gmail.com because Craigslist messaging system is not always reliable.

Me (via email to BitcoinTexas@gmail.com):  Hello, OK, good.  How much do you want for it today? Thanks, Tim

Creep:  5 Bitcoins

Me:  I have cash.  If that works for you, let me know how much in US Dollars you want for it so I can withdraw from the bank.  If not, I'll have to buy Bitcoins on an exchange and that could take a few days.

Creep:  I am not available to meet up with. So cash is not going to work unless you mail it.
Buying Bitcoins locally (a few people do it on Craigslist) takes a few minutes.
Paypal takes 21 days for funds to clear (when paying with a CC).

Me:  You're not available?  So you want me to convert almost $5000 into Bitcoins, give it to you and then what?  I just trust that you'll send it to me?  I would feel much better about making an exchange in-person.  Also, your ad says $3700.  Will you take 4 Bitcoins given that they are at $974 as of right now?  Let's say I go ahead and decide to take a HUGE risk and send you the Bitcoins.  Is there any way you can assure me that I'll get the hardware?

Creep:  5 Bitcoins is the price in Bitcoins.
The $ in the ad was for people to know how much it was worth in dollars. Since eBay and Craigslist does not currently have an option for Bitcoin, the dollar price is needed for comparison purposes.
Weather or not the USD to Bitcoin is $1 or $100,000, the sale price is 5 Bitcoins.
I use LoneStar Overnight for the fastest shipping all over Texas.
3 of my KnC miners active on Eligius:
http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/userstats.php/1JakeKnCJMDfQhPMgcstYaYVSGsYWQWMvr
http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/userstats.php/1JakeKnCa5JBVEi2PUpaZohaLyXABFD1J9
http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/userstats.php/1JakeFuRYctZMCSndGAhuYRJiNG55489LT
All 3 use my vanity wallet ID's.
If that is not proof enough that I have them on hand and currently making money for me, then this is not the deal for you.
Please try eBay and you can pay 3 times as much without any proof.
I am a Texan born and proud. My integrity has never been questioned by my friends and family. If you are a Texan, my word is bond. If you are not a Texan, you might not know how much it means for a Texas man to keep his word.
Jake

Me:  Hi Jake,  Thanks for the explanation and the links.  I'm a Texas man too and I get it.  I'm working on getting the Bitcoins as soon as I can.  I'll let you know by tomorrow if I'm able to get them.  Thanks!

Me again:  Hi Jake,  I just wanted to let you know that I've contacted several people on Craigslist about buying Bitcoins but they were all flakes and didn't work out.  So, I went ahead and deposited money into a wallet on BlockChain.info but it takes a day to clear and you are limited to $2500 a day so I'll deposit $2500 more tomorrow.  Will you hold the machine for me if I pay you 2 Bitcoins tomorrow and then I'll pay you the remaining 3 Bitcoins the next day?  Thanks, Tim

Creep:  Sorry to hear about the Austin Bitcoin people.  I can and will save it for you.
Another guy wanted to do a PayPal transaction but it takes 21 days for the funds to clear.
I am not a big business and can not risk him doing a charge back so I refunded him the total amount and now it's back on the market.

Me:  Great!  Thanks.  I'll be in touch.

(A day later)
Creep:  Any News?

Me:  Hi Jake,  You've got good timing.  They just sent my first order of Bitcoins to me.  What Bitcoin address do you want me to send the first 2 Bitcoins to?  Thanks, Tim

Creep:  1LwtP2hLbohZawwEtCBTXv26Ro7vFvYxAu
As you can see, nobody has sent any Bitcoin yet.
So once 5 [Suspicious link removed]ive, send me your address and I'll setup overnight shipping.

Me:  Sounds great!  I'll send you 2 tonight and 3 more tomorrow with my mailing address.  Can you let me know when you get the coins tonight?  I'll send them in a few minutes.  Thanks!

Creep:  Got the 2 last night.
How did you want it shipped?

Me:  I know you said you use Lone Star Overnight but I was wondering if you could ship it via FedEx overnight or if overnight is too expensive then FedEx two-day shipping is fine too.  My address is ... Some Street(edited for privacy), Austin, TX 78745. When the rest of my coins arrive today I'll send them to you.  Thanks!

Me (again):  Ok, I just sent the remaining 3 Bitcoins to you just now.  Please send the system to: Timothy Howe, ... Some Street, Austin, TX 78745  Thanks for all you patience.  I'm looking forward to getting it!  Take care, Tim

Creep:  Hey Tim.  I have been talking to a guy in Houston who said he would give me 6 Bitcoins on Monday for the miner.
If you can match that, I will ship it Monday morning (using FedEx like you wanted).
If not, I will just refund your 5 Bitcoins and apologize for wasting your time.
Have a good one.
Jake

Me:  Hi Jake,  All I have is .77361 Bitcoin in my wallet.  I can send that right away but if you want me to match the full 1.0 Bitcoin, I can't get more money in my wallet until Tuesday via Blockchain.info.  So, it's your call.  Just let me know.  Thanks, Tim

Creep:  Just round down to .75 Bitcoin and I will ignore all further emails.

Me:  Ok, I sent it.  Thanks, Tim

Me (the next day):  Hi Jake,  Were you able to send it out today?

Me (the day after that):  Hello.  Just wondering if you were able to send it yet?  Thanks, Tim

Me (later that night):  It's been a couple of days since I've heard from you.  Just let me know what's going on please.  Thanks, Tim

Me (three days no reply):  Hey Jake.  Are you going to send the miner or what?  If not, please refund my Bitcoins.  At the very least, reply to this message.

I'm such a dumbass. 

Is there anyone out there with any ideas on how to get my coins back?  I've already filed a police report and a complaint on the cyber crimes website but I don't think anything will come of that. 

If you want to see the block chain for the transfer from me to the creep just look for my wallet address: 1D5D3Pe8Yx7qhF3HdeHkfiFNvzqzzuEwAd
and you will see it. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Winterfrost

Activity: 586
Merit: 135

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 11:26:11 PM

Unfortunately, Bitcoin transactions are irreversible by design. Your only hope is to track down the person you were corresponding with (which will probably be very hard to do). You or law enforcement might be able to get an IP address from Craiglist/Gmail, but if he was smart he'll have been behind a proxy.

izaa12

Activity: 20

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 12:58:04 AM

craigslist is brutal.  if they post a miner in your locale then ask to ship it... it's a scam.  100% no two ways about it.
ferall

Activity: 672
Merit: 265

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:04:32 AM

Report it to the cops!
izaa12

Activity: 20

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:11:06 AM

Report it to the cops!

cops are useless when it comes to bitcoin thefts.  they 1) dont know what they are, the equivalent to saying "my friend stole my neopoints" and b) dont have the means to trace ip addresses that are likely outside their jurisdiction.

if you have $25,000 kicking around, then you might be able to get something done, but even then... look @ projects & coinabul... over half a million in one case and over a quarter of a mil in the other, full disclosure of bank information... and yet... nothing.
kind of blows my mind and illustrates the strengh of bitcoin as well as the downside.
marketorder

Activity: 375
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 04:22:01 PM

Find his IP address this way http://aruljohn.com/info/howtofindipaddress/

Look at all his emails to see if his IP address is the same. If so you likely have his IP address.
Once you have his IP address post it in this thread and some genius people on this forum might be able to find his home address.

Please tell me you talked to the guy on the phone? If not that's a major mistake! Worse case scenario call him and do a trace on his phone number
before sending the money that to make sure it's not a Google Voice number.

You should only meet up with local people and pay with cash. If you lose the money learn from this lesson and never trust anyone again and meet everyone in person!
MiningBuddy

Activity: 927
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 04:27:31 PM

Creep:  Just round down to .75 Bitcoin and I will ignore all further emails.
Wtf....
OP, you're screwed, no way of getting your coins back.

Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 05:00:48 PM

General rule of thumb is, "If the user name is Jake, you're going to get scammed". With very few exceptions of course.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
pontiacg5

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 05:09:41 PM

You know this is your fault, entirely? Craigslist even warns you about paying to ship anything  Undecided

Your bitcoins are gone, and you will not be getting them back. You are close enough you might be able to do something in court, but you don't even know who the guy is. You've got nothing, at all, that will help in this situation. An IP means jack, it doesn't magically tie anything to anyone as fools like to believe. Plus, the courts and the law don't give a damn in the first place.

Please, in the future, don't be so greedy and dumb. You are the reason guys like that still try, because one lone fool still always comes along and puts money to all their invested time.

Please DO NOT send me private messages asking for help setting up GPU miners. I will not respond!!!
Rawted

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 11:10:26 PM

Report it to the police. It's theft and fraud, and both Craiglist and Google will happily give up this douchebag's personal info to any authorized LEO. You handled this capriciously, but it's still a crime against you. People won't learn if they never have to face the consequences of their actions.
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 02:24:22 AM

What a jerk..  Undecided

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌