Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 07:09:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Decreasing rewards  (Read 3832 times)
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 07:50:58 PM

Duh the dollar's been worth $1 for forever now.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
jonanon

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 08:21:53 PM

The very first users, when trying Bitcoin for the first time, were not aware that it was going to become what it is today - they put in time, effort and risk when no one else would.
jongameson

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 08:25:18 PM

Duh the dollar's been worth $1 for forever now.

yes but the Bitcoin is worth 25
Phrenico

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 10:04:43 PM

The optimal crypto currency should have a built in algorithm for price stability, just like central banks try to target 1-2% inflation.

Has that been proven?

Seems to me that with inflation, people hold as cash balances less than the amount that they would otherwise. Hence, it's suboptimal from their point of view. What other factors do you know of that exactly offset that effect? Or are you just talking out of your ass?

Also, who gets the 1-2% new money? The government? How do we know that they will spend the money efficiently?
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 04:50:30 AM

The optimal crypto currency should have a built in algorithm for price stability, just like central banks try to target 1-2% inflation.

Has that been proven?

Seems to me that with inflation, people hold as cash balances less than the amount that they would otherwise. Hence, it's suboptimal from their point of view. What other factors do you know of that exactly offset that effect? Or are you just talking out of your ass?

Also, who gets the 1-2% new money? The government? How do we know that they will spend the money efficiently?

Nope, just another economic  theory, and we all know how many of them float around the planet
BlockChainLottery

Activity: 332
Merit: 250

AwesomeDice.net

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2014, 12:54:28 PM

Another "I believe it is not fair" thread. It's never easy to make money. If it was, everybody would be rich. Bitcoin shouldn't be a vehicle that make people rich, it's an instrument to make payments and maybe store some value. The early adopters and developers got their fair share, that easy block reward was just their income paid for the time and money they put into it. The protocol as it is works fine until now, and if the decreasing rewards will fail in the future then so be it. Some other better crypto currency will pick up where Bitcoin left off. Maybe crypto currencies will fail all together.

You're welcome to make your own version if you don't like this one.  It was designed this way because the designer thought it was a good idea, so he tried it out.  Try yours out and see how it goes.

Make a new one, or continue to use Bitcoin for payments or make some awesome new application for it.

OP: I think your question is perfectly fine asking why the reward is chosen as it is, but maybe you should leave out the "it's unfair" part.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 01:45:14 PM

But maybe such concept was beyond the brilliant mind of Satoshi.

Or maybe you're just butthurt you didn't start mining in 2011.

Which do you think is most likely?
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 1301

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 01:47:13 PM

Has that been proven?

Nope, just another economic  theory, and we all know how many of them float around the toilet

FTFY

:-)
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 03:11:08 PM

Has that been proven?

Nope, just another economic  theory, and we all know how many of them float around the toilet

FTFY

:-)

Cheers, your fix is welcomed and appropriate. That pic above is rather beautiful Smiley
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 04:10:08 PM

The backbone of the network would still be made up of miners, who would mine in return for tx fees.
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 05:15:37 PM

Why was Bitcoin designed in such a way that the rewards from mining decrease over time?

Because mining is not the way to get rich ...  Grin
"Mining" is the way to store and validate transactions !
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 05:27:43 PM

LOL

NO MINERS HAVE EVER GOTTEN RICH BY MINING

FUCKING TROLL
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 05:33:54 PM

LOL

NO MINERS HAVE EVER GOTTEN RICH BY MINING

FUCKING TROLL

Should be able to send people back the newbie only area.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
whtchocla7e (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 05:38:13 PM

The very first users, when trying Bitcoin for the first time, were not aware that it was going to become what it is today - they put in time, effort and risk when no one else would.

What was the risk associated with mining the first blocks? A couple of minutes of personal time wasted, a couple of minutes of wear and tear on CPU, a dollar spent on electricity?

Man, that is a huge risk. I'm glad it paid off.  Grin

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
whtchocla7e (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 05:42:39 PM

But maybe such concept was beyond the brilliant mind of Satoshi.

Or maybe you're just butthurt you didn't start mining in 2011.

Which do you think is most likely?

I'm not butthurt. I was never interested in mining personally and do not mine any alt coins now.
I'm interested in the design choices and the motives behind them.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 05:49:15 PM

What was the risk associated with mining the first blocks? A couple of minutes of personal time wasted, a couple of minutes of wear and tear on CPU, a dollar spent on electricity?

Don't be such a huge p**** please. Have you ever invented the idea of a crypto-currency that could change the way the world uses money? Nope, I didn't think so. Rewards are due to innovators, especially if what they produce actually works in the real word.

It wasn't risk, it was genius.
_Miracle

Activity: 906
Merit: 659

Do due diligence

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2014, 05:58:54 PM

Most of know (or should) what the rules were when we started to "play". Early adopters/miners who built this thing to what it is now took a huge leap of "faith" or interest or sheer force of believing in something until it was true.

We're late, we have to suck it up.

Ooor we're still early there is plenty of room for opportunity (just not in mining for us little guys ;-)

There 'used' to be more truth in forums than anywhere else.  Twitter:  @cryptobitchicks  Spock: "I am expressing multiple attitudes simultaneously. To which are you referring?"  INTJ-A
umaOuma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 06:38:22 PM

But I value Bitcoin as a store of wealth, and it can be used as a transaction system as well. Better than inflationary currency
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3235

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 06:48:48 PM

You are missing an important point. Even though the cost was small, the risk was huge.

Let me ask you this: why don't you start your own alt coin and start mining it? After all, it takes very little effort -- even less now because everything is already done for you. You stand to make billions of dollars! Not interested? Why not?

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
BitchicksHusband

Activity: 378
Merit: 255

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 06:49:06 PM

$100 in electricity per month for something that might never be worth anything?

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: