Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 01:50:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Decreasing rewards  (Read 3832 times)
Brangdon

Activity: 365
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 08:47:23 PM

Either the price of bitcoin has to go up a bunch, or miners have to shut down because they can no longer pay their electric bills on a 1 coin/block. Then since they shut down their miners, the network shrinks and because unsecure and open to attack by anyone who decides to flip on their asic farm that they had previously shut down.
The difficulty of mining should adjust more smoothly than that. I doubt we'll see a sudden drop in difficulty due to a lot of miners giving up. New miners will stop joining the system because it won't be profitable enough to invest in new hardware. Old miners will tend to keep going, because they've already paid for their hardware. The ones who give up, because they can't even afford their electricity bills, will be the ones who have the least efficient hardware, so they will tend to be the ones who were making least contribution to the network, so their quitting won't have much impact. And of course, as each one quits, the remainder become more profitable.

Also, as transaction volume increases, the transaction fees per block will increase. This is for two reasons. First, there will be more transactions in each block. Second, there will be more users competing for the space in each block, so there will be more incentive for users to offer higher fees so their own transactions get processed quicker. So as long as Bitcoin is successful, there should be enough reward for mining to keep enough miners at it to discourage 51% attacks.

(Personally, I think governments and large companies will eventually start mining themselves, not for block rewards but as a kind of public good. America will want to be sure Russia can't mount a 51% attack. Microsoft will want to be sure Google can't mount one. One day, they will all be dependant on Bitcoin remaining healthy.)

Bitcoin: 1BrangfWu2YGJ8W6xNM7u66K4YNj2mie3t Nxt: NXT-XZQ9-GRW7-7STD-ES4DB
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
February 04, 2014, 08:50:29 PM

But maybe such concept was beyond the brilliant mind of Satoshi.

Or maybe you're just butthurt you didn't start mining in 2011.

Which do you think is most likely?
I started mining in 2011, I am not rich so what's your point? Sure, I made 100 btc but this was play money at the time, now I have just 1-2BTC. Again, what of it?

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
Coin_Master

Activity: 148
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 05:56:13 AM

But maybe such concept was beyond the brilliant mind of Satoshi.

Or maybe you're just butthurt you didn't start mining in 2011.

Which do you think is most likely?
I started mining in 2011, I am not rich so what's your point? Sure, I made 100 btc but this was play money at the time, now I have just 1-2BTC. Again, what of it?
Where did your 100 BTC go?  Play money?  It has never been play money, you sound like that guy from Wales that threw out his hard disk drive, along with 7500 bitcoins worth millions of dollars.
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/27/hard-drive-bitcoin-landfill-site
Clearly you never got what Bitcoin is about, and apparently you still don't.
daserpent1

Activity: 435
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 06, 2014, 06:03:01 AM

If the crypto doesn't reward high in the beginning, not many people will mine it. So to gain as many miners as possible, they keep high rewards in the beginning.

A better solution would be, to increase the reward as more and more people join in. So, people would ask their friends to join in and so on,.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: