Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:16:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: help with bitcoin transfer between address and wallets  (Read 1214 times)
anon4250158 (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 256

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 09:14:03 AM

I'm very new to bitcoin, and I wanted to see how it works.  So I downloaded Multibit and created a wallet with several addresses.  After getting about 20k satoshi in each while trying different things, I would like to consolidate them into a single address with a Bitcoin-qt wallet (for cold storage).  Obviously, I don't have much bitcoin, so I was hoping to try to do this without a transaction fee.  All three addresses in Multibit have multiple small (5k satoshi) incoming transactions that are each about 7kb, and are spread out over the last week.  How can I send the BTC between addresses and wallets without the usual 0.0001BTC/kb fee?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
lucas.arvalo84

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 09:30:27 AM

You can't.
mearylll

Activity: 315
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 09:51:50 AM

You can try wait few years if 5k satoshi becomes worth something, you cant send it without fee now.
But nice to see someone thinking for cold storage for like 10K satoshi
anon4250158 (OP)

Activity: 266
Merit: 256

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 10:28:23 AM

oh boy.  What if I had 0.1BTC in each of those accounts, but they were all accumulated through hundreds of transactions?  What's the point of BTC faucets if you can't do anything with the tiny amount they give you?  If it can never move out of an account, it's just a waste of satoshi, right?  I would have thought it would make more sense to impose a fee on large transfers rather than the small ones (tax the rich, not the poor, etc).
BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 03:52:26 PM

The required fee on small transactions is to prevent spam transactions from bloating the blockchain.  There are multiple warning about faucets on this forum because of this very issue. Tongue  If you have more btc you can combine inputs to send your coins without a fee.

Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 04:20:43 PM

oh boy.  What if I had 0.1BTC in each of those accounts, but they were all accumulated through hundreds of transactions?  What's the point of BTC faucets if you can't do anything with the tiny amount they give you?  If it can never move out of an account, it's just a waste of satoshi, right?  I would have thought it would make more sense to impose a fee on large transfers rather than the small ones (tax the rich, not the poor, etc).

The point of faucets is to make money for the operator by serving ads to the visitors. The amounts of coin they give out are too small to be useful with current fee and dust limits on the network.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 04:55:49 PM

The point of faucets is to lure unsuspecting unknowledgeable people with useless payouts so they can sell add space to advertisers and rake in large profits for themselves.  The operators of the faucets know that the amounts they are paying out will cause problems for the recipients, but they don't care.  By the time the recipient realizes the problem, they will have already spread the popularity of the faucet through word-of-mouth, and will have already earned a significant income for the faucet operator.  The frustrated user has very little recourse and moves on a bit wiser for the trouble.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: