Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:20:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin deemed a commodity not a currency in Finland  (Read 750 times)
CryptoCurrencyInc.com (OP)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 12:18:24 PM

Bitcoin deemed a commodity not a currency in Finland

Bitcoin doesn't meet the definition of a currency or even an electronic payment form in Finland, where the central bank has instead decided to categorize the software as a commodity.

"Considering the definition of an official currency as set out in law, it's not that. It's also not a payment instrument, because the law stipulates that a payment instrument must have an issuer responsible for its operation," Paeivi Heikkinen, head of oversight at the Bank of Finland in Helsinki, said in a Jan. 16 phone interview. "At this stage it's more comparable to a commodity."

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/article/Bitcoin-deemed-a-commodity-not-a-currency-in-5160291.php

╓▄▌██P                   
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                     
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                               ▄▌███▀▀+          ▄█▀   ▐█                       
                        ,▄▌███▀▀¬              ▓█▀     █▄                       
                  ,▄▌███▀▀                  ,██▀      █▌                       
               '█████▌▄▄,                 ╓██╩       ██                         
                  ▀██▌▐▀▀▀█████▌▌▄▄╓    ▄██¬        ▄█                         
                     ▀██▄        ╚▀▀▀████          ▐█═                         
                        ▀██▄        ▓█▀██          █▀                           
                           ▀██▄  ,██▀   █µ        ██                           
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                             
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                        º▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███   ▀█    █▌                               
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                 
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4454

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 12:45:27 PM

Paeivi Heikkinen needs to learn economics.

bitcoins features and usage resembles an asset, in no way is bitcoin anywhere near a commodity.

and also this is just Paeivi Heikkinen unofficial opinion based on a telephone call. not the official stance of Finland. so please do not meander/chinese whisper this guys unofficial opinion into something the media will pick up as european fact.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:07:10 PM

Guys, cmon...they are thinking about it, they are categorizing it. This is not bad at all. It's not like it's illegal or something. What i can read out of it: "right now it doesnt fit to any category defined by law"...who sais they wont change law to fit it in there if they see that they can get tax out of it?
For bitcoin, anything official that is not banning is good thing.

BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:14:49 PM

Countries labeling it a "commodity" and not a "currency" seems to be a growing trend and I don't expect it to stop.  Also I see nothing wrong with that, nothing wrong with having it in a certain category and then applying applicable tax and other laws to it as a commodity.  Also there's a lot of truth about the commodity aspect of bitcoin since it's so volatile and still not something most people accept or most people actually spend.

Anyway, I think it's a step in the right direction to have it classified as SOMETHING , that way businesses know how to stay in line with the law and governments know how to properly regulate it.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
klovishey

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

Selling Coupons Babie

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:21:40 PM

It would be shame if Bitcoin is called currency, the same way as dept based fiat
brioche

Activity: 192

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:21:46 PM

well a commodity sounds good. it sounds like my bank-fold getting bigger, my coins gaining value.

\   \  \ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\◥◣◢◤//////////////// /  /   /
North Carolina ❖ First in Flight ❖ /   /  / ////////////////◢◤◥◣\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \  \   \
hopey

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:36:19 PM

I'm Finnish, so I know this is what will happen: We wait until Swedes make some decision about it, and then officially decide the same. This is how its always been and will be.
minerpart

Activity: 280

IIIIII====II====IIIIII

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 02:03:04 PM

I'm Finnish, so I know this is what will happen: We wait until Swedes make some decision about it, and then officially decide the same. This is how its always been and will be.

Smiley

you like cats on fire?
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4454

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 02:12:16 PM

well a commodity sounds good. it sounds like my bank-fold getting bigger, my coins gaining value.

an asset sounds better as its better fitting of a description, but also officiates bitcoin into a category that government and taxmen can use, to then allow transactions and holdings to happen without bans.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 02:48:57 PM

This is not news, this has been the stance in Finland since the beginning. Hasn't changed.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
jonanon

Activity: 154

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 04:09:08 PM

As long as it is being mentioned it doesn't really matter what they classify it as  Wink
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 04:13:21 PM

Funny how people totally outside of the bitcoin world think they can "categorize" it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: