Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:14:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin in Africa  (Read 1740 times)
Mavrick (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 12:56:50 PM
Last edit: January 21, 2014, 01:24:59 PM by Mavrick

Hi all,

I am from sub-Sahara Africa which has some brilliant minds and innovators and some of the poorest people on the plant too, I think the best way for mankind to progress faster than ever before is to share thoughts and programs to advance this reality to everyone.

They say people live on less than a dollar a day in neighboring countries even my own country!

I am asking for people to come together and help get Bitcoin into Africa so Africa can feed Africa!
Its time on this kind of platform that Africa can stand up and be counted.

Please join the conversation if you are here in Africa and abroad so that we can grow on the same level playing fields.

Thank you

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Barek

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:08:14 PM

Hi all,

I am from sub-Sahara Africa which has some brilliant minds and innovators and some of the poorest people on the plant too, I think the best way for mankind to progress faster than ever before is to share thoughts and programs to advance this reality to everyone.

They say people live on less than a dollar a day in neighboring countries even my own country!

I am asking for people to come together and help get Bitcoin into Africa so Africa can feed Africa!
Its time on this kind of platform that Africa can stand up and be counted.

Please join the conversation if you are here in Africa and abroad so that we can grow on the same level playing fields.

Please if you can donate to the cause    1dcm6QPJ1kt5XdEzWNEm59ZZX9eWM1xcs

Thank you

Yay, another brand new account asking for donations.

You would get much better feedback without that address.
Mavrick (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:11:34 PM

sorry you are right that wasnt the reason for posting the thread

its to help and not to be another "new account asking for donations"
ohya?

Activity: 14

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:30:34 PM

ya that's right!
spin

Activity: 362
Merit: 261

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:39:09 PM

Perhaps this:

http://www.meetup.com/__ms122015192/Bitcoin-Cape-Town/events/161537572/t/ea1_grp/?rv=ea1&_af_eid=161537572&_af=event&expires=1390404904169&sig=e8ed073ad4fc6a978c96b4b630fb0dc0c0e68ccb

If you liked this post buy me a beer.  Beers are quite cheap where I live!
bc1q707guwp9pc73r08jw23lvecpywtazjjk399daa
Bostonbitcoin

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 01:56:32 PM

I'd like to get in touch with anyone working on this.  I'm an economic advisor with an investment company and one of my clients is one of the worlds largest foundations which deals with the poor.   I've had some informal conversations about a Bitcoin with them and some others and think this area has a lot of potential.
Mavrick (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 02:05:12 PM

We have working groups here in Johannesburg and thank you to the previous post we will get in touch with them in cape town.

however South Africa gets that exposure i am talking and highlighting not only here but in our neighbors too. we know there is a conversation here we trying to expand the conversation and interest in bitcoin get the word out .

ill send you a beer for that link to cape town  Smiley 
Mavrick (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 02:20:05 PM

just so you understand this is how its being seen in our media!

Want to make money mining bitcoins? Criminals have you beat

Summary: Bitcoins are becoming the "national currency" of criminals the world over and are becoming an increasingly poor investment for legitimate miners.

http://www.zdnet.com/want-to-make-money-mining-bitcoins-criminals-have-you-beat-7000025361/

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 03:54:54 PM

Great job removing the newbie restriction, now we get this shitty spamming everywhere  Roll Eyes

Mavrick (OP)

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 04:46:11 PM

Great job removing the newbie restriction, now we get this shitty spamming everywhere  Roll Eyes

i am a newbie , it was not my intention to be seen as spamming and i removed the account!
yes we can use the funds but its not the reason i made the post.

thank you for your thought and help much appreciated
jongameson

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 08:21:36 PM

Durban Poison.  it's a popular African strain of cannabis.  look it up
Raya

Activity: 124
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 10:36:02 PM

I now see the down side of removing the restrictions.

scottii

Activity: 804
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2014, 12:05:28 AM

awesome!  tell em to stop mining for diamonds, and start mining for btc!
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 12:50:08 AM

If I can make a suggestion coming from Canada, a developed first world country it is this:

Create a service that makes it easy for people in Africa to receive payments in BTC and have those payments converted to local payment systems that the local people use much like Bit-pay does for merchants. A good example would be a BTC to M-PESA gateway for people in Kenya.

Let us say Bob in Kenya needs to receive payments from Alice in Canada. Bob would sign up with the service in Kenya and is provided with a custom web page on a site in Kenya and a password for a sender to use. Bob does not need to have Internet access. Bob then provides the password and the site url to Alice. This can even be done by regular (snail) mail. Alice then logs into the site with the password provided by Bob. Alice is provided with a Bitcoin address to send funds to Bob. After say 3 confirmations the M-PESA credit shows up on Bob's phone.

The key here is that the service in Kenya does not need to concern itself with how Alice obtains the BTC or learn how to use BTC or for that matter what the regulatory requirements are in Canada. Leave that up to the Bitcoin community in Canada. Replace Canada by any other "rich" country and one immediately sees the benefit Bitcoin can provide here.

I mention this because I still recall a situation 18 months ago. I was waiting in line at the local Post Office, ironically to pick up some documents I needed for my MTGox account. The fellow in front to me wanted to send 70 CAD to someone in Kenya. I could not avoid to overhear that it cost him in the neighbourhood of 10 CAD in fees. Do the math please.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
Mavrick (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 06:47:42 AM

If I can make a suggestion coming from Canada, a developed first world country it is this:

Create a service that makes it easy for people in Africa to receive payments in BTC and have those payments converted to local payment systems that the local people use much like Bit-pay does for merchants. A good example would be a BTC to M-PESA gateway for people in Kenya.

Let us say Bob in Kenya needs to receive payments from Alice in Canada. Bob would sign up with the service in Kenya and is provided with a custom web page on a site in Kenya and a password for a sender to use. Bob does not need to have Internet access. Bob then provides the password and the site url to Alice. This can even be done by regular (snail) mail. Alice then logs into the site with the password provided by Bob. Alice is provided with a Bitcoin address to send funds to Bob. After say 3 confirmations the M-PESA credit shows up on Bob's phone.

The key here is that the service in Kenya does not need to concern itself with how Alice obtains the BTC or learn how to use BTC or for that matter what the regulatory requirements are in Canada. Leave that up to the Bitcoin community in Canada. Replace Canada by any other "rich" country and one immediately sees the benefit Bitcoin can provide here.

I mention this because I still recall a situation 18 months ago. I was waiting in line at the local Post Office, ironically to pick up some documents I needed for my MTGox account. The fellow in front to me wanted to send 70 CAD to someone in Kenya. I could not avoid to overhear that it cost him in the neighbourhood of 10 CAD in fees. Do the math please.

this is brilliant you see we don't have the processing power or the actual electricity to mine as the rest of the world yay for power cuts.
this is what i am talking about ways Africa can enter the conversation! so thank you for the meaningful input.
NanoAkron

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 11:46:32 AM

this is brilliant you see we don't have the processing power or the actual electricity to mine as the rest of the world yay for power cuts.
this is what i am talking about ways Africa can enter the conversation! so thank you for the meaningful input.

You don't need to mine to make an impact in the bitcoin world. Go look at zSIM, being run by seedco.in - it replaces M-PESA with bitcoins. There's also potential bitcoin ideas regarding banking, money transfer, secure messaging and much more.

You just need to come up with an idea that's suitable for your local area, a willing group of programmers and business people and make it happen!
Mavrick (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 04:25:22 PM

understand !

lets say i can do all this and i am able to provide a public exchange  from bitcoin (and other crypto currencies) to local currencies
would i not get shot down within the day i start ?

this is kind of the reason for the post to build this kind of think tank for an african "trade platform"
NanoAkron

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 05:10:51 PM

understand !

lets say i can do all this and i am able to provide a public exchange  from bitcoin (and other crypto currencies) to local currencies
would i not get shot down within the day i start ?

this is kind of the reason for the post to build this kind of think tank for an african "trade platform"

That all depends on local government behaviour I'm afraid - not something I can advise you on from behind a computer screen.

Maybe start with an advert in a paper to create a local meetup to form a discussion group and see where it goes from there.
Mavrick (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 05:36:25 PM

ok lets say we take the different government out of the equation. how does the discussion start if not in a forum just like this one ?
Smiley
NanoAkron

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 05:44:12 PM

ok lets say we take the different government out of the equation. how does the discussion start if not in a forum just like this one ?
Smiley

Read back to me what I wrote in my last reply.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: