Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:39:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Info about the recent attack  (Read 52523 times)
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 06:46:20 AM

I just tried changing my password and it says my current password is wrong.
So I cannot change to a new one now.

You have the same password that you had before the attack.
Hmnm. Well something has gone wrong. I use a pwd safe and call up and paste in my previous password and it rejects it. My password had 25 chars including letters, number, symbols. Unless the validity of symbols was changed at some point I don't know why it won't work now. I've probably only used it once when created as typically I'm "always logged on".

If your password had been changed I don't think you'd have still been logged into the forum when it came back online.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 07:00:42 AM

Everyone should use lastpass.com and generate the longest password a site will accept (or just 32 random characters/numbers is sufficient imo) plus save that on lastpass.com

It's too easy and there is no excuse not to do it.

+ 1

I started using lastpass.com (there are alternatives too, like keypass and others) after the mtgox incident. I have come to love it.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
tsupp4

Activity: 186
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 07:01:20 AM

Change of hosting

Mark Karpeles is now hosting the forum's server. The forum is still owned by Sirius, as it has always been. There will be no policy changes.

Signed version of this message

Your statement sounds kind of different to this info:
http://bitcoinmedia.com/mt-gox-taking-over-bitcointalk-the-official-u

Mark Kapeles aka MagicalTux is part of Mt.Gox, right?

"It's not rich who got much, but who gives much."
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 07:06:38 AM

Mark Kapeles aka MagicalTux is part of Mt.Gox, right?

Yes.

Your statement sounds kind of different to this info:
http://bitcoinmedia.com/mt-gox-taking-over-bitcointalk-the-official-u

He is providing free hosting. He is not "taking over Bitcointalk". In that IRC excerpt I even say that Sirius will retain control of the DNS.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 07:09:58 AM

Also, that "security advisory" is inaccurate. The security breach had nothing to do with Flash. That was misinformation spread by the attacker, probably. They used a fake quote purporting to be from Sirius.

arsenische
Legendary

Activity: 1199
Merit: 1012

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 07:11:18 AM

I'd like to see the file with leaked hashes

nhodges

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 07:13:39 AM

Everyone should use lastpass.com and generate the longest password a site will accept (or just 32 random characters/numbers is sufficient imo) plus save that on lastpass.com

It's too easy and there is no excuse not to do it.

Online password stores are still a single point of failure, IMO. Great idea, but use KeePass or some other local solution that you can back up and secure with ease.

BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 07:14:50 AM

I just tried changing my password and it says my current password is wrong.
So I cannot change to a new one now.

You have the same password that you had before the attack.
Hmnm. Well something has gone wrong. I use a pwd safe and call up and paste in my previous password and it rejects it. My password had 25 chars including letters, number, symbols. Unless the validity of symbols was changed at some point I don't know why it won't work now. I've probably only used it once when created as typically I'm "always logged on".

If your password had been changed I don't think you'd have still been logged into the forum when it came back online.
I'm pretty sure the password wouldn't matter.
Usually a session id is stored in the login cookie not a password.

I've used Keepassx on Ubuntu for years and never had it mis-remember a password. I guess I should go thru the "lost password" process now...

pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 07:19:16 AM

Online password stores are still a single point of failure, IMO.

A solution like lastpass is great for a few reasons.

You passwords are encrypted.
LastPass uses SSL exclusively for data transfer even though the vast majority of data you're sending is already encrypted with 256-bit AES and unusable to both LastPass and any party listening in to the network traffic

Lastpass has a backup method, securely and not securely. I use not securely and rar them password protected encrypted.

WinRAR offers you the benefit of industry strength archive encryption using AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) with a key of 128 bits.

My passwords are always accessible to me whether lastpass is offline or not.

TiagoTiago

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 07:21:34 AM

Why upgrading to the most recent version of SMF is worse than switching to a whole'nother forum backend? They didn't make it backward compatible?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 07:23:20 AM

Why upgrading to the most recent version of SMF is worse than switching to a whole'nother forum backend? They didn't make it backward compatible?

There are many modifications that are incompatible.

TiagoTiago

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 07:27:56 AM

They don't provide a way to convert the data to the new format or somthing like that?

Or you mean there are some addons you use that are essential that haven't been updated to be compatible with the latest version nor have equivalent alternatives made for the latest version?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
d33tah

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 07:31:12 AM

If he could run arbitrary PHP code, maybe it's not just the hashes he collected... He might have also injected some code BEFORE hashing, thus gaining plaintext. I don't know all the hack details, but does it sound possible to you?

Also, it took you a while to recover.
opticbit

Activity: 695
Merit: 502

PGP: 6EBEBCE1E0507C38

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 07:32:35 AM

so when an attacker finds that you have an extremely secure password, they can now guess that you have a password wallet somewhere, and go after that

Bitrated user: opticbit.
https://www.bitrated.com/opticbit
JonHind

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 07:32:59 AM

The vulnerabilities in 1.1.14 have been known for a LONG time. You can hardly call what SA did a 0-day exploit. While 1.1.14 might still be 'supported', it is full of security holes. The admins of this site have been aware of these vulnerabilities for a while, as quite a few people (myself included) have pointed out the dangers of using 1.1.14.

Any admin hosting a site which deals with discussions of a financial nature who couldn't even be bothered to upgrade along the 1.1.xx path (yet alone switch to v.2) should hang their head in shame.

As for giving the database, including all PM's, and also the hosting of the site to the owner of the largest bitcoin exchange, I'm gobsmacked.

I took my $$$'s and BTC's out of Mt:Gox at the time when Bruce was visiting their company. I stopped trusting Mt:Gox when MagicalTux was white-knighting Bruce, refusing to address the evidence that was being provided (not the rumours I might add, just the evidence), and for allowing a convicted fraudster into his company's HQ. After this silent take-over of the forums, I trust Mt:Gox as much as I trust PayPal.

I have my $$$'s in my account now, and my BTC's are sitting in an offline USB stick in the gamble that they will be worth something after all this shit settles down. I'm sitting this one out.
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 07:33:08 AM

If he could run arbitrary PHP code, maybe it's not just the hashes he collected... He might have also injected some code BEFORE hashing, thus gaining plaintext. I don't know all the hack details, but does it sound possible to you?

It is possible.

Dusty

Activity: 731
Merit: 503

Libertas a calumnia

View Profile WWW
September 11, 2011, 07:34:37 AM

thanks for the info, theymos. please continue to keep things as transparent as possible.
+1

Articoli bitcoin: Il portico dipinto
theymos (OP)
Administrator
Legendary

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 07:35:43 AM

Any admin hosting a site which deals with discussions of a financial nature who couldn't even be bothered to upgrade along the 1.1.xx path (yet alone switch to v.2) should hang their head in shame.

What are you talking about? This is the latest upgrade in the 1.1.xx path.

I am not aware of any other vulnerabilities. If vulnerabilities exist, report them to me and I will take the forum down until they are fixed.

TiagoTiago

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 07:37:08 AM

Though if the intention was to steal data, the defacement stuff would be a dumb move, if they stayed hidden they could have stole shit for much longer.

Do you like mmmBananas?!
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
September 11, 2011, 07:42:14 AM

Also, it took you a while to recover.

I'm sure you could've done it much faster and you would run such a site much more securely than theymos.
I'm also sure you'd gladly give up your weekend for no money to recover from a hack.
And I'm also pretty sure you would easily take a bashing from 11-post-know-it-alls without whining.

Thanks to theymos, sirius and whoever else helped in recovery and running the site. I hope you'll keep the forums up in the future. You're doing a great job! Thanks for the transparency, too.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: