Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:52:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: r9 290 endplate removal  (Read 1403 times)
phaddie (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 02:21:46 PM

Hey guys,

I have seen a few posts about people removing the endplate of their reference r9 290 cards.  I was taking a look at my cards today and it seems that the cards needs to be disassembled a bit to do this.  Is this correct?  If anyone has a link to a guide or has some tips please let me know.

Thank you in advance

Phad.
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mac-coin

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 05:27:28 PM

There's 1 screw under the main plastic cover,  Only 6 small screw to remove the cover.  Takes less then 2 mins to remove the back plate.

Very easy job and well worth it
Starscream

Activity: 364

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 05:57:50 PM

There's 1 screw under the main plastic cover,  Only 6 small screw to remove the cover.  Takes less then 2 mins to remove the back plate.

Did you do that yourself? How many degrees did it go down by?
phaddie (OP)

Activity: 308

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 06:43:44 PM

There's 1 screw under the main plastic cover,  Only 6 small screw to remove the cover.  Takes less then 2 mins to remove the back plate.

Cheers, I was not sure if it was just those screws to get to the one screen under there or if more needed to be done.  Thanks!!

Phad
mac-coin

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 09:27:47 PM

Dropped the temps by 5c and also reduced the power draw at the wall by 10watts per card,

I then over clocked it some more which put the temps and power back to the same figure

TehLuNaTiC

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 21, 2014, 11:18:06 PM

any photos ? and how to guide ?
kalus

Activity: 420
Merit: 263

let's make a deal.

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 01:38:36 AM

Dropped the temps by 5c and also reduced the power draw at the wall by 10watts per card,

I then over clocked it some more which put the temps and power back to the same figure

why the heck do they put that cover plate on in the first place?

DC2ngEGbd1ZUKyj8aSzrP1W5TXs5WmPuiR wow need noms
cozk

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 01:58:46 AM

Because its a gaming card... designed to fit a gaming computer case...
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 02:07:35 AM

Because that plate is also the PCI bracket. The card does not fit inside a computer case, and has almost no support in an aluminum rig. You have to get pretty creative on howto support these without that bracket.

I also noticed ~5-8C drop, though I didn't measure any power drap. Didn't take any before-after reading with my kill-a-watt, as I didn't think it'd make a huge difference. You an def feel more air move through the card, tho.

Yep, those 6 screws around the card you remove are just to take off the shroud/air channel. You never touch the heatsink, fan, support plate, or anything. Took me ~15 min to do all 6 cards.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
kalus

let's make a deal.

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 02:18:48 AM

Because that plate is also the PCI bracket. The card does not fit inside a computer case, and has almost no support in an aluminum rig. You have to get pretty creative on howto support these without that bracket.

oh fuck that bracket.  i thought there was something on the other end that was fucking with the airflow.

still don't know why mfgs decide to reduce the airflow through their cards by decorating their PCI slot cover.  

mac-coin

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 07:37:59 PM

Would any of you guy be interested in replacement back plate with most of it cut away, but still giving your the standard mounting points.
mdmx

Activity: 59

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 04:27:17 AM

Can someone show me where on the card the backplate is... is it the side with the fan or the back of the card where the HDMI/DVI connectors are?
kalus

let's make a deal.

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 04:29:40 AM

back of the card where the HDMI/DVI connectors are
this is what they're referring to.  i was thinking the other end of the card as well. 

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 04:59:51 AM

Can someone show me where on the card the backplate is... is it the side with the fan or the back of the card where the HDMI/DVI connectors are?
This is a pic of one removed. Click for bigger picture.

EDIT: Woops. Posted the wrong picture. Right one is up now.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
mdmx

Activity: 59

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:47:33 AM

This is a pic of one removed. Click for bigger picture.
http://s24.postimg.org/4vlbeh6ox/0107141658.jpg

EDIT: Woops. Posted the wrong picture. Right one is up now.

Did you see any noticeable decrease in the temps?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: