Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 10:57:26 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: article - the ETH blockchain has exceeded 1TB and yes it's an issue  (Read 102 times)
European Central Bank (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 11:27:59 AM

interesting article here about this - https://hackernoon.com/the-ethereum-blockchain-size-has-exceeded-1tb-and-yes-its-an-issue-2b650b5f4f62

and an interesting response to vitalik's response - https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/8ltxac/vitalik_responds_to_the_misinformation_about_size/dzio52p/

personally i'm amazed something so cavalier with its own security and viability is so big still but what do i know? the first duty any blockchain has is to remain a functioning and decentralised blockchain. if you can't manage that then you won't pull anything else off either.
BitcoinHodler

Activity: 1456
Merit: 579

HODLing is an art, not just a word...

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 12:02:19 PM

this has been one of the oldest issues of ethereum that was known for over a year now. it mainly started when people could no longer start to run a full node and sync it with the network due to the huge size of the blockchain and extremely slow speed of it.
and "pruning" is not the answer to this bloat.
and they have been adding more complexity to the code as the comment on that reddit link is also pointing out. things like sharding will also open up attack vectors. but that is just another flaw on top of a couple of dozen other flaws so maybe nobody cares Tongue

the first duty any blockchain has is to remain a functioning and decentralised blockchain.

i disagree. this is not the "first duty of the blockchain". this technology can also be used in a centralized way but they have to be transparent about it. many projects don't even focus on being decentralized!
the important thing is if you have a decentralized project you have to focus on keeping it that way (like bitcoin and what it has been doing with all the block size drama), but you can't have a centralized project and push it towards more centralization and still call it "decentralized" even though it is long dead.

Holding Bitcoin More Every Day
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 12:15:25 PM

i disagree. this is not the "first duty of the blockchain". this technology can also be used in a centralized way but they have to be transparent about it. many projects don't even focus on being decentralized!

then why inconvenience the public by inviting them to participate? there are private blockchain projects out there. they make no attempt to involve anyone from outside because it's pointless and counter productive.

you should either be decentralised or closed to outsiders. the middle ground is useless.
BitcoinHodler

Activity: 1456
Merit: 579

HODLing is an art, not just a word...

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 12:18:25 PM

then why inconvenience the public by inviting them to participate? there are private blockchain projects out there. they make no attempt to involve anyone from outside because it's pointless and counter productive.

you should either be decentralised or closed to outsiders. the middle ground is useless.

money! why else
how many millions did they raise in their ICO? nobody is going to pay you to create a centralized platform specially in a market which is filled with decentralized ones. pretending to be decentralized and gaining attention while filling your pockets is so much more profitable.

Holding Bitcoin More Every Day
cryptb

Activity: 216
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 12:59:26 PM

Why is 1 TB a problem? I thought that with the current development of technology this is not a large amount of information. Not everyone can download the entire network. But I think that not many people did it when the size was smaller.
ManaMan

Activity: 238
Merit: 38

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 01:04:47 PM

interesting article here about this - https://hackernoon.com/the-ethereum-blockchain-size-has-exceeded-1tb-and-yes-its-an-issue-2b650b5f4f62

and an interesting response to vitalik's response - https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/8ltxac/vitalik_responds_to_the_misinformation_about_size/dzio52p/

personally i'm amazed something so cavalier with its own security and viability is so big still but what do i know? the first duty any blockchain has is to remain a functioning and decentralised blockchain. if you can't manage that then you won't pull anything else off either.

Honestly I don't think how people want this to turn in the future. I mean of course that over the years there will be much data to store this is real. If you want to let ordinary people to run nodes then storage has to be huge and cheap for everything. If we want this to go to the mainstream level then of course that mostly we will end up with big players who can afford to run the node will run it. While majority of users would not care simply and will use light wallets.
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 03:12:35 PM

Why is 1 TB a problem? I thought that with the current development of technology this is not a large amount of information. Not everyone can download the entire network. But I think that not many people did it when the size was smaller.

1tb is an insane amount to download and impossible in many places, then there's indexing it which could be even slower, that can take several days with bitcoin's chain which is a fifth of the size.

Storage is never the problem, it's keeping up with it and processing it that stings.
NoSkyLimit

Activity: 171
Merit: 50

Crypto will save my kids!

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 03:21:34 PM

Can someone explain to me why there are so many guys thinking that ethereum can rise like bitcoin?I don't see a single reason for ethereum to even try to rise like bitcoin because the capital ain't there and it will never be. Sure eth can rise in time but it will never ever be able to reach the boom of bitcoin no matter what so just be carefull what you read and who you trust and also eth blockchain size seems to be a problem right now but I'm sure the team will handle this with no problems.

▐▀   ▄▀▄  █▄  █ █  █  ▀▌         Games        ANYONE        Bitcointalk              ▐▀   ▄▀▄  █▄  █ █  █  ▀▌
▐    █▄█  █ ▀▄█ ▀▄▄▀   ▌      Referral      Investment      Discord  |  Github       ▐    █▄█  █ ▀▄█ ▀▄▄▀   ▌
▐▄  █   █ █   █ ▄▄▀   ▄▌     Dividents       Platform       Twitter  |  Telegram     ▐▄  █   █ █   █ ▄▄▀   ▄▌
rattle99

Activity: 518
Merit: 107

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 03:57:11 PM

Anywhere where I could see the blockchain size in real time?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: