Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 09:25:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, it sure feels like 6 months ago.  (Read 6657 times)
Revalin

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 08:31:20 PM

I agree with everything you said but this:

Shame on all of you speculators out there! You are ruining the bitcoin project...

Speculators aren't the problem.  Speculation is - or more to the point, the root problem is that BitCoin is deflationary, which creates massive speculation.

I think the falling value is great for BC since it will wash out many speculators, but I'm afraid we'll just run into another bubble once we bounce off the fundamental utility value.  It too will pop and we'll run all the way down again to the fundamental value.  More adoption will make the floor higher and the bubbles bigger (which is what speculators are betting on), but bubbles will drastically inhibit adoption.

Anyway, the fix isn't to blame speculators.  They're a natural consequence of having a market.  The fault is BitCoin's design.  The fix is to make BitCoin no longer (potentially) wildly deflationary.  I currently favor demurrage and dynamic inflation.  I don't think it'll ever happen in BitCoin, but another cryptocurrency will come along to replace it.  Then the speculators will go home on their own.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMonies

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 09:03:51 PM

No the real problem with bitcoin is that there's dozens if not more assbags who's sole mission is to cause chaos with the bitcoin economy and bitcoin user base. This cunt-o-romma of trolling and foolishness is going to keep bitcoin from ever being taken seriously.
Revalin

View Profile
September 13, 2011, 09:07:21 PM

I agree that you're a problem.

Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 09:23:19 PM

The bubbles are inevitable and the price will be very unstable until we have a massively larger market. But I don't see this as a real problem as long as the size of the economy keeps increasing in the long run. That will ensure that the floor will be ever higher. So far this has been the case and will most likely continue to be the case for the foreseeable future. Even though there have been issues, the issues have been with 3rd parties and I expect services like that to be more reliable and robust as time goes on. People do learn from mistakes, most of the time.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
mjcmurfy

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 13, 2011, 09:33:50 PM

Shame on all of you speculators out there! You are ruining the bitcoin project...

Speculators aren't the problem.  Speculation is - or more to the point, the root problem is that BitCoin is deflationary, which creates massive speculation.

I think the falling value is great for BC since it will wash out many speculators, but I'm afraid we'll just run into another bubble once we bounce off the fundamental utility value.  It too will pop and we'll run all the way down again to the fundamental value.  More adoption will make the floor higher and the bubbles bigger (which is what speculators are betting on), but bubbles will drastically inhibit adoption.

Anyway, the fix isn't to blame speculators.  They're a natural consequence of having a market.  The fault is BitCoin's design.  The fix is to make BitCoin no longer (potentially) wildly deflationary.  I currently favor demurrage and dynamic inflation.  I don't think it'll ever happen in BitCoin, but another cryptocurrency will come along to replace it.  Then the speculators will go home on their own.

If we could somehow ban the exchange of bitcoin into fiat currency (and vice-versa) this would probably take care of the problem. Then people would have to earn their bitcoin by providing services or goods in exchange for it. But then, there would have to first be a flourishing bitcoin economy for that to work. And since the growth of that economy is being hampered by speculation, it's a problem that doesn't seem to have an easy solution except to try and raise awareness that people should not hoard bitcoin to realize future fiat currency profits, but rather spend it on quality services or goods.

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/images/bct_button_117_30.png - BitCoinTorrentz.com: High-speed HTTP torrent downloads. 0.05 btc/gb. Up to 50% discount with free membership!
Bitcraft

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 08:30:06 AM

I'm scooping up as many cheap coins as I can.
Ayo_4_Yayo

Activity: 42

View Profile
September 14, 2011, 03:39:27 PM

I sure hope you won't burn your fingers if the price takes a nosedive, be careful and good luck!
Bitcraft

Activity: 56

View Profile
September 20, 2011, 01:32:05 PM

I sure hope you won't burn your fingers if the price takes a nosedive, be careful and good luck!

bitconformist

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 20, 2011, 08:33:41 PM

Speculators aren't the problem.  Speculation is - or more to the point, the root problem is that BitCoin is deflationary, which creates massive speculation.

I think the falling value is great for BC since it will wash out many speculators, but I'm afraid we'll just run into another bubble once we bounce off the fundamental utility value.  It too will pop and we'll run all the way down again to the fundamental value.  More adoption will make the floor higher and the bubbles bigger (which is what speculators are betting on), but bubbles will drastically inhibit adoption.

Anyway, the fix isn't to blame speculators.  They're a natural consequence of having a market.  The fault is BitCoin's design.  The fix is to make BitCoin no longer (potentially) wildly deflationary.  I currently favor demurrage and dynamic inflation.  I don't think it'll ever happen in BitCoin, but another cryptocurrency will come along to replace it.  Then the speculators will go home on their own.
Bitcoin is currently inflationary. New coins are being constantly mined but few new people are signing up. End result: prices steadily droop.
Revalin

View Profile
September 20, 2011, 09:04:44 PM

It's an argument of semantics, but to be precise:

Bitcoin is deflationary, regardless of current events.  It is currently devaluing, partly due to mining inflation, but mostly due to market sentiment.

Mining is currently responsible for 36% yearly inflation (always decreasing).  Over the last 3 months we've seen roughly 1100% yearly price inflation.

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: