Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 01:37:05 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoins destroyed if unused, to keep bitcoin supply known?  (Read 4673 times)
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1303

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 08:58:42 PM

So I am going to suggest my own change/fork to Bitcoin:  automatic mixing of all coins in every block by protocol design change.  Then lists will not happen because lists will not work.

It's a good idea.  Our only hope, really, IMHO.  It would have to happen fairly soon though since the nature of the userbase is changing, and that rate of change could jump sharply.

For a variety of reasons, I'm actually not especially hopeful that this will happen, or happen quickly enough.  I'd planned to convert about half of my stash to some other asset at this juncture (based on my own profit level more than date) but the timings of my sales are associated with my level of pessimism regarding the evolutionary trajectory of Bitcoin.

The activities and methods of the Bitcoin Foundation have contributed significantly to my pessimism.

I agree.  Dark Wallet, coinjoin, zerocoin (perhaps), mixing services and other similar proposals will help.  The question though will become will any one be widely available before people start trying to blacklist in earnest.

BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 1373

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 07:56:42 PM

The only problem is the active supply in use. Imagine that there was only one bitcoin actively traded, because all the rest of them were hoarded or lost. That one bitcoin would have long since been split into its basic satoshis, each of which would be worth a fortune. Perhaps some form of scripting would be applied to the clients that would make satoshi kids and grand-kids (dividing the satoshi), just so that there would be enough of that single bitcoin to go around the world.

Then, watch the bubble burst when 90% of the rest of the bitcoins come into action in one day. Never happen.

There is no problem with lost or hoarded bitcoins.

Smiley

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/, https://thedrardisshow.com/, https://thehighwire.com/.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3273

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 10:08:17 PM

That's the point. Forcing them to move them would produce proof that the coins are active. And I would argue that to make supply and demand work (correctly) you need to know the supply.

I disagree.

1. Supply and demand works all by itself without intervention. In fact, intervention only creates problems. Just look at the dollar.

2. Knowing the number of spendable coins does not actually tell you enough about the supply. The "supply" is not a single value -- it is a curve, and knowing a single number doesn't tell you much about the curve.

3. We don't have a way to determine demand. Even if we did know the number of spendable coins, there is nothing we could do with that number.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 10:20:23 PM

You're just trying to increase your own value by decreasing others.  Why are you so selfish?

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Sonny

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 10:22:27 PM

It's a great idea, we should also break into people's houses and banks and burn any money / throw away gold, paintings, heirlooms, etc that they haven't used for awhile.

Good analogy. Please post it again when someone bring this topic up next time. Smiley

Sonny

Activity: 868

View Profile
January 28, 2014, 10:23:11 PM

This issue has probably been discussed before ...
Yes.  Many, many, many, many, times.

Once coin blacklisting and address-2-identity correlation systems are ready to go I'd expect the issue to be re-visited.

I'll wager that a lot of people who were against the idea (forced spending) will suddenly realize that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Particularly those with ties to the Bitcoin Foundation.

Thanks for a sensible reply.

Since the issue as mentioned has been discussed several times before it's probably better to end it here and revisit in a few years.

This issue has been discussed many times in the past.
But, I am sure, it will be brought up again and again Sad
Squeaker

Activity: 450
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2014, 01:11:13 PM

That's the point. Forcing them to move them would produce proof that the coins are active. And I would argue that to make supply and demand work (correctly) you need to know the supply.
All you need to know for the 'supply' side of things, is to check the market depth on the exchanges. That is your 'supply'.

Supply isn't all of the coin that exists, it is all of the coin that people have put up to sell.

Exchange rate also isn't determined by how many coin are in existence.

=squeak=

balanghai

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 01:17:40 PM

So how much is your BTC there?
Squeaker

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2014, 02:09:33 PM

So how much is your BTC there?
At the moment? around $780/coin, since that is where it is trading at, at the exchange I use.

=squeak=

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2014, 02:12:48 PM

You're just trying to increase your own value by decreasing others.  Why are you so selfish?
This.
I moved my coins less than 10 times in a 12 month period. I have a lot of valuables in my house sitting there doing nothing, come destroy them too?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
bloss

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 05:29:48 PM

And remember, eventually ALL bitcoins will be lost!

Huh I don't understand this comment.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2014, 06:11:41 PM

Eventually maybe in a thousand years. What he means is bitcoins get locked in certain scenarios. Here is an example or two:
1) Someone mistakenly sends his bitcoins to an unused address.
2) You forget your wallet password.
3) You lose your wallet.dat file.

and the list goes on..

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
zeraTunerse

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 06:23:20 PM

I doubt all Bitcoins can be lost, because I dont believe Bitcoins can be here hundred years. Technology is going forward and Bitcoin is just start for decentralized cryptocurrency. For the same reason I dont believe microsoft OS will be here hundred years from now
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 06:27:12 PM

Eventually maybe in a thousand years. What he means is bitcoins get locked in certain scenarios. Here is an example or two:
1) Someone mistakenly sends his bitcoins to an unused address.
2) You forget your wallet password.
3) You lose your wallet.dat file.

and the list goes on..

The curve will approach a value well off of the 'ALL' line, and approach it in an asymptotic manner.

The eco-system will weed out people who should not be screwing with BTC through a process of 'survival of the fittest'.  I'm cool with that.  It was part of what appealed to me when I entered into it.

The more focus put on trying to hand-hold those who are not up to the task of owning BTC, the less is available for hardening the solution against attack.  Not only that but there is a correlation between the caliber of people who will throw their BTC out with an unwanted HDD and those who will throw them away using some on-line dice game or send them to TradeFortress.  That is, in fact, probably the biggest incentive to try to suck fools into the ecosystem in the first place.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
obeygiant

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 04:41:25 PM

Take a look at Freicoin ( http://freico.in/ ). Inactive coins are slowly flushed out. As are all others, which is probably not what you want, but it you might think it is a good idea after reading the Freicoin material.

A neat pair of advantages of Freicoin is that since all coins "rot" at the same rate, mining is always relevant even with the currency having a fixed supply cap, and also the blockchain can be pruned (i.e. it doesn't have to "grow forever" for most "full node" clients).
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 05:24:00 PM

My opinion: NO

in case it is not clear: NO

Squeaker

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 08:11:50 PM

What good is having a currency with its own time bomb attached to it?

=squeak=

benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 09:24:59 PM

I should point out that this idea, destroying old Bitcoins and creating new ones through mining, rewards and subsidizes those who are most able to sow destruction and maintain centralized control, ie. exactly our current banking system.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
ljudotina
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1029

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 09:29:48 PM

There may be an issue with not knowing the total bitcoin supply that is currently available due to lost keys and from other factors. Would a solution to this issue be to destroy, or rather make coins that hasn't moved in a certain time period locked from further usage?

So basicly, what your sayin is that i can't invest into Bitcoin and keep it for my old age as retirement? You would just destroy it?!

crocko

Activity: 826

'All that glitters is not gold'

View Profile
January 31, 2014, 09:34:18 PM

It is only January yet we already have a candidate for the stupidest thread award of 2014...

+1  Cheesy

Find my posts helpful? Click my Trust link and rep me!
BTC: 1MqUxoDQE8Q88sDvoaLMbBJSMToSfPgKSy  DOGE: D61Na9wjuneAn9GFLRNrHgWHHFwVfd1T7y  LTC: 3Luo136zrqkCi53jT72FEY52GbwW1ZYi6X
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: