Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:30:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: malicious "gifts"  (Read 3739 times)
Dude65535 (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 08, 2011, 12:11:50 AM

It occurred to me after seeing the listing, on the wiki trade page for a site, selling sex toys for bitcoins that there could be a problem with malicious "gifts". Since it is difficult or impossible for a merchant to determine if the address a product is sent to belongs to the person ordering it, I can imagine someone ordering a butt plug or ball gag for a local politician they did not like.

More subtle but providentially more dangerous would be sending a product that the recipient was deathly allergic to. Such as a box of peanuts to someone with a strong peanut allergy.

How much of a problem could this be for merchants accepting bitcoins?

1DCj8ZwGZXQqQhgv6eUEnWgsxo8BTMj3mT

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dirtyfilthy

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 08, 2011, 12:15:28 AM

It occurred to me after seeing the listing, on the wiki trade page for a site, selling sex toys for bitcoins that there could be a problem with malicious "gifts". Since it is difficult or impossible for a merchant to determine if the address a product is sent to belongs to the person ordering it, I can imagine someone ordering a butt plug or ball gag for a local politician they did not like.

More subtle but providentially more dangerous would be sending a product that the recipient was deathly allergic to. Such as a box of peanuts to someone with a strong peanut allergy.

How much of a problem could this be for merchants accepting bitcoins?

Well, how much of a problem is it RIGHT NOW? Because I fail to see how this issue is specific to bitcoin, one of the oldest pranks in the book is ordering a bunch of pizza to your target's house or getting a ton of manure dumped on their driveway.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 08, 2011, 12:21:50 AM

Well, how much of a problem is it RIGHT NOW? Because I fail to see how this issue is specific to bitcoin, one of the oldest pranks in the book is ordering a bunch of pizza to your target's house or getting a ton of manure dumped on their driveway.

+1

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Dude65535 (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2011, 12:27:54 AM

The problem specific to bitcoin is how difficult it would be to track down the person who paid for the item.

Trying to kill someone by sending them something they are allergic to is a very chancy way to go about it, but if there was no risk of being caught (mined coins + tor) there's bound to be some assholes who would try it.

bitjet

Activity: 696
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2011, 12:39:02 AM

The problem specific to bitcoin is how difficult it would be to track down the person who paid for the item.

Trying to kill someone by sending them something they are allergic to is a very chancy way to go about it, but if there was no risk of being caught (mined coins + tor) there's bound to be some assholes who would try it.

Your forgetting a factor here.. Common sense.

Who the hell would eat something that they had no idea where it came from?

mmmm forbidden doughnut.....

hazek
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2011, 12:39:27 AM

Here's a crazy idea: If I'm allergic to peanuts and I get some in the mail, guess once what I'll do with them!? NOT EAT THEM.

FFS quit fearmongering because it's a non issue.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

Dude65535 (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2011, 12:48:17 AM

I was not thinking of someone eating them. I had remembered news articles involving people would would have severe reactions to simply coming in contact with peanut oil. Something that could happen simply opening a box. However when looking for source to back that up I found that such claims are wildly exaggerated. So that concern is a non-issue. Still there is the issue of more minor harassment with little chance of being caught.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2011, 12:53:50 AM

I was not thinking of someone eating them. I had remembered news articles involving people would would have severe reactions to simply coming in contact with peanut oil. Something that could happen simply opening a box. However when looking for source to back that up I found that such claims are wildly exaggerated. So that concern is a non-issue. Still there is the issue of more minor harassment with little chance of being caught.

Lol. I'm going to make brokenbottleofpeanutoilforbitcoins.com and anonymousbuttplugsforpoliticians.com right now.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
hazek
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2011, 12:57:24 AM

You are asking the wrong question. The question can't be "What can we do to prevent this from happening?" but rather "Who will find the best answer if such a problem occurs?"

You see no single person can possibly answer all the questions to all the problems that exists, hence why the idea of politicians is so ridiculous, I mean as if a title grants them a special kind of wisdom to deal with problems?  Roll Eyes

The answer to the right question is always "the free market". If there's going to a problem someone will offer a service to solve that problem and if the service is good and problem big enough people will pay for it and use it and if not that someone will find something else to do. Simple, isn't it?

Dude65535 (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2011, 01:07:05 AM

The point was more should people be aware of this so it doesn't take them by surprise, then how do we prevent it.

dirtyfilthy

View Profile
March 08, 2011, 01:10:01 AM

I can do this right now fairly anonymously with a prepaid visa debit card I purchased in cash.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2011, 01:10:17 AM

I think this is a plus.  Someone needs to start a safe but annoying service.....

Send a distasteful but not dangerous item to a politician service.

Dude65535 (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2011, 01:17:46 AM

I can do this right now fairly anonymously with a prepaid visa debit card I purchased in cash.

The card can be tracked to the time and location it was purchased at. There may be security cam video of you and there is a small chance the clerk remembers you. Granted the chances of any of that information being available or useful gets very small if you bought the card far from home and held on to it for long enough.

dirtyfilthy

View Profile
March 08, 2011, 01:28:11 AM

The card can be tracked to the time and location it was purchased at. There may be security cam video of you and there is a small chance the clerk remembers you. Granted the chances of any of that information being available or useful gets very small if you bought the card far from home and held on to it for long enough.

So basically if I'm careful I can get away with ordering someone a butt plug with cash, and if I'm careful I can get away with ordering someone a butt plug with bitcoins... can you see why I fail to see this as a real problem or at least a bitcoin specific one?
iya

Activity: 81

View Profile
March 08, 2011, 02:03:09 AM

I feel like a troll in these forums, but here are my 2ct:

This will be the major argument for government action against Bitcoin.

For example e-gold was taken down because of anonymous death threats demanding payment into an anonymous e-gold account.
This is different from cash, because you cannot hand over cash without risk.

It's nearly impossible to take Bitcoin or another decentralized system down, so this must be faced eventually.
With strong anonymity, the only option is to ignore the threats and prevent/punish crime in the real world.
With Bitcoins pseudo anonymity, there might be other solutions.
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
March 08, 2011, 02:15:31 AM

What does the law says about mailing a package that you don' know the contents and it turns out it was a bomb or some dangerous biological or chemical agent?

Would someone be safe (from the law) if they offered a service involving mailing closed packages received annonymously?

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
error

Activity: 588

View Profile
March 08, 2011, 02:16:03 AM

I can mail copies of the Constitution to any politician in the U.S. Cheesy

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
we6jbo

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 08, 2011, 02:24:30 AM

Bitcoin is like an identity. All the peanut company would need to do is associate your Bitcoin address with your DNA.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2011, 03:09:40 AM

The politician may label that item as dangerous. 

eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2011, 03:13:10 AM

+1

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: