Bitcoin Forum
August 28, 2024, 06:45:38 PM *
News: All versions of Windows are affected by a critical security bug; make sure you update.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about alt-coins  (Read 479 times)
gginer (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 10:34:05 AM

Hello,

I have some questions about alt-coins that I have never really understood. Just to make it clear, I am not planing on realeasing one but as an active miner I would like to know how everything works.

- When they say for example 1 block each 2 minutes, why when coin is released and in just a few minutes more than 1000 blocks can be mined. What is that 2 minutes block time for.
- When they say time of diff. retarget is 1 day, generally it ends up being 720 blocks (asuming 2 minutes block). Why do they say it's once per day if 720 can be mined really fast?
- About difficultu retarget, I see lots of alts having problems with it. Solution could be retarget difficulty more often I suppose, but what are the downsides of setting diff. retarget each 2 blocks for example.

Thank you!

Energycoin - Save Energy, Pure POS (Free IPO).  eP14cFcoFzszt3CiiBMyir8kjKLFRqMqJ5
gginer (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 11:01:12 AM

UP. No one knows??

Energycoin - Save Energy, Pure POS (Free IPO).  eP14cFcoFzszt3CiiBMyir8kjKLFRqMqJ5
busabus

Activity: 104

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 11:07:50 AM

Hello,

I have some questions about alt-coins that I have never really understood. Just to make it clear, I am not planing on realeasing one but as an active miner I would like to know how everything works.

- When they say for example 1 block each 2 minutes, why when coin is released and in just a few minutes more than 1000 blocks can be mined. What is that 2 minutes block time for.
- When they say time of diff. retarget is 1 day, generally it ends up being 720 blocks (asuming 2 minutes block). Why do they say it's once per day if 720 can be mined really fast?
- About difficultu retarget, I see lots of alts having problems with it. Solution could be retarget difficulty more often I suppose, but what are the downsides of setting diff. retarget each 2 blocks for example.

Thank you!

The mining algorithm aims for 1 block every 2 minutes by adjusting the difficulty.  So if it was mined faster then the difficulty goes up, slower it goes down.  Because new coins start with such low difficulty lots of blocks get instamined until the difficulty catches up.

The problem some coins have is that if 20 TH/s land on it (like with multipool.us) and then leave you end up with a huge difficulty and a block time of several hours.  Being able to retarget in the middle of a block would be a good solution, but difficult to implement.

Of course the best solution is a coin that keeps people interested and they don't jump onto "the next big thing".

KDC: LJ2PwwKT6ZSNSsMY9cQnda8REkLEAstWE6
gginer (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 11:15:43 AM

Hello,

Thank you!

The mining algorithm aims for 1 block every 2 minutes by adjusting the difficulty.  So if it was mined faster then the difficulty goes up, slower it goes down.  Because new coins start with such low difficulty lots of blocks get instamined until the difficulty catches up.

The problem some coins have is that if 20 TH/s land on it (like with multipool.us) and then leave you end up with a huge difficulty and a block time of several hours.  Being able to retarget in the middle of a block would be a good solution, but difficult to implement.

Of course the best solution is a coin that keeps people interested and they don't jump onto "the next big thing".

Got it, sent 10 KDC for your answer  Grin

busabus

Activity: 104

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 11:24:03 AM

Thanks  Cheesy

KDC: LJ2PwwKT6ZSNSsMY9cQnda8REkLEAstWE6
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: