Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:19:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it economically viable me building a scrypt rig around £1200.  (Read 1739 times)
Mk2vr6 (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 01:26:43 PM

As above really - have between £12-1500 to spend.

Was thinking:

4x 280x Sapphire Vapor.
970 extreme 4,
8gb ram,
Cheap SSD,
And possibly 2x 750w bronze psu's.

The problem is the imminent arrival of scrypt ASIC's. I have registered my interest with Alpha-T but looks like I've missed the first batch.

Obviously computer hardware can be sold on after using it, and I need to factor in cost of electricity here as it isn't cheap in the UK!!

What do you reckon?  Huh

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
atp1916
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 01:30:36 PM

#1.  Get your money back from Alpha Technologies now.  They are the first BFL of the scrypt asic mining scene.  People are handing them thousands of dollars for pre-order vaporware.  Companies that fund their dev with pre-order cash = you may/will not (ever) get your hardware in time to make ROI.  Ignore the Scrypt asic hoopla for it - it's virtually all hype and very little substance at the current moment.

#2.  Scrypt Asics will not purely outhash GPUs (yet).  They will certainly do better hash/watt/density, yes, but asics are not repurposable for supporting future algorithms at the hardware level. They are therefore a terrible long-term bet if/when the need may arise to sell back hardware.  I could sell back my paid-off hardware and offset the electrical bill difference easily.  See those AMD cards selling for hundreds above MSRP? Yeah.

#3.  4 280x's is apx 2.8/3mhs.  That should net you at least half a btc a month on middlecoin (and much more on "good" days).  You are only gonna spend a small portion of that on electricity.  It's a good investment.  Go for it.
Mk2vr6 (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 01:38:36 PM

#1.  Get your money from Alpha Technologies now.  They are the first BFL of the scrypt asic mining scene.  People are handing them thousands of dollars for pre-order vaporware.  Companies that fund their dev with pre-order cash = you may/will not (ever) get your hardware in time to make ROI.  Ignore the Scrypt asic hoopla for it - it's all hype and little substance.

#2.  Scrypt Asics will not purely outhash GPUs (yet).  They will certainly do better hash/watt/density, yes, but asics are not repurposable for supporting future algorithms at the hardware level. They are therefore a terrible long-term bet if/when the need may arise to sell back hardware.  I could sell back my paid-off hardware and offset the electrical bill difference easily.  See those 7950s/7970s selling for $400-600? Yeah.

#3.  4 280x's is apx 2.8/3mhs.  That should net you at least half a btc a month on middlecoin (and much more on "good" days).  You are only gonna spend a small portion of that on electricity.  It's a good investment.  Go for it.

I haven't sent them a penny! And either way they are only 140 miles from me - I'd make the trip if my money ever went walkies!

Looks good to me - I think I'm in. 4 x 280's is looking favourable over 5 or 6 270's.

Anything else you can add?
atp1916
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 01:40:57 PM

#1.  Get your money from Alpha Technologies now.  They are the first BFL of the scrypt asic mining scene.  People are handing them thousands of dollars for pre-order vaporware.  Companies that fund their dev with pre-order cash = you may/will not (ever) get your hardware in time to make ROI.  Ignore the Scrypt asic hoopla for it - it's all hype and little substance.

#2.  Scrypt Asics will not purely outhash GPUs (yet).  They will certainly do better hash/watt/density, yes, but asics are not repurposable for supporting future algorithms at the hardware level. They are therefore a terrible long-term bet if/when the need may arise to sell back hardware.  I could sell back my paid-off hardware and offset the electrical bill difference easily.  See those 7950s/7970s selling for $400-600? Yeah.

I haven't sent them a penny! And either way they are only 140 miles from me - I'd make the trip if my money ever went walkies!

Looks good to me - I think I'm in. 4 x 280's is looking favourable over 5 or 6 270's.

Stick with the 280x's.  It's not fun fighting the mainboard / AMD drivers getting 5-6 270s recognized and running.  

Also, use sgminer and try the Cat. 13.4 driver pack / 2.9 SDK combo first.
Mk2vr6 (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 07:25:40 PM

#1.  Get your money from Alpha Technologies now.  They are the first BFL of the scrypt asic mining scene.  People are handing them thousands of dollars for pre-order vaporware.  Companies that fund their dev with pre-order cash = you may/will not (ever) get your hardware in time to make ROI.  Ignore the Scrypt asic hoopla for it - it's all hype and little substance.

Stick with the 280x's.  It's not fun fighting the mainboard / AMD drivers getting 5-6 270s recognized and running.  

Also, use sgminer and try the Cat. 13.4 driver pack / 2.9 SDK combo first.

Thanks for your input. Really helpful.

PSU, what do you reckon - 1 decent one, or two smaller ones?
SheepOnDrugs

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 08:07:24 PM

Better get one decent one.
Also 2GB is sufficient for Linux. if you use Linux you won't even need the SSD as you can install Linux on an USB stick.

If you're only doing it for the profit don't do it. Mining is also a hobby and needs a lot of attention.
Mk2vr6 (OP)

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 08:44:38 PM

Better get one decent one.
Also 2GB is sufficient for Linux. if you use Linux you won't even need the SSD as you can install Linux on an USB stick.

If you're only doing it for the profit don't do it. Mining is also a hobby and needs a lot of attention.

No profit in it whatsoever?

I like to tinker with computers, and this will be another reason to be mucking around with them.

Already got a bootable Linux Mint stick, but can use whatever OS - that should keep costs down.

Also regarding the PSU - calculators reckon 1750w - Really??
SheepOnDrugs

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 08:58:49 PM

1750w is too high.
1500W should be sufficient for 4 and you can even undervolt them which is recommended as it safes energy and also lowers temp.

4 280x will give you around 2800khash.
Check out here how much you could earn right now. But keep in mind that difficulty changes, the most profitable coins always switch and ofc the price changes aswell.

You will make money, you might also make ROI. I'm just saying that you shouldn't do it purely for the money cause then you should do something else. But its a fun hobby and when you like computers its a nice income for having fun. Wink
sitefive

Activity: 210

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 09:52:53 PM

lol you are being missleaded in this thread!
Buy 2X 750w comes cheaper then one single 1200w and you can add more then 4cards to that setup!
also you can run those 4cards on about 1200w , even 1000w if you undervolt them.

also Why the fuk would u spend money on setup just for a hobby? wtf? Of course do it for profit!
4X 280x Overclocked will get up to 3200khs with correct settings on air cooling.

Yeah stay away from those scrypt asics for now on, you will be able to mine only specific coins with them and you can get your money back selling those videocards,usually at least 70%!

Mk2vr6 (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 12:28:52 AM

Thanks to everyone for the input  Grin

Buy 2X 750w comes cheaper then one single 1200w and you can add more then 4cards to that setup!
also you can run those 4cards on about 1200w , even 1000w if you undervolt them.

also Why the fuk would u spend money on setup just for a hobby? wtf? Of course do it for profit!
4X 280x Overclocked will get up to 3200khs with correct settings on air cooling.

Yeah stay away from those scrypt asics for now on, you will be able to mine only specific coins with them and you can get your money back selling those videocards,usually at least 70%!

That sounds good to me!

80plus bronze ok or look to silver/gold for long term stability? Currently got one an XFX 750w in my desktop, after the first Antec Shat itself in a cloud of smoke! Faulty batch apparently.

Last question (I think) Sapphire 280x VaporX or Gigabyte 28XOC-3GD?
FlyForFun

Activity: 243
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 12:30:59 AM

Was thinking:

4x 280x Sapphire Vapor.
970 extreme 4,
8gb ram,
Cheap SSD,

The problem is the imminent arrival of scrypt ASIC's. I have registered my interest with Alpha-T but looks like I've missed the first batch.

Obviously computer hardware can be sold on after using it, and I need to factor in cost of electricity here as it isn't cheap in the UK!!

What do you reckon?  Huh

Like you said, scrypt ASIC is coming and it is really risky to get into mining now. You might want to consider purchase Litecoin or any scrypt coin directly?

Mk2vr6 (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 01:57:02 AM

Was thinking:

4x 280x Sapphire Vapor.
970 extreme 4,
8gb ram,
Cheap SSD,

What do you reckon?  Huh

Like you said, scrypt ASIC is coming and it is really risky to get into mining now. You might want to consider purchase Litecoin or any scrypt coin directly?

And see my money fluctuate daily? Or Invest £1200 in something that will bring me a return, keep me occupied and still sell for £7-800 in a year?
Mk2vr6 (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 02:56:35 AM

Sapphire 280x VaporX or Gigabyte 28XOC-3GD?

What do we reckon?
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 02:58:48 AM

About single vs 2 PSUs...

The EVGA Supernova 1300W is a not-too-expensive PSU that you may find interesting.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438011

That's $240, I don't know the prices in the UK

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:03:41 AM

Thanks to everyone for the input  Grin

80plus bronze ok or look to silver/gold for long term stability? Currently got one an XFX 750w in my desktop, after the first Antec Shat itself in a cloud of smoke! Faulty batch apparently.
Bronze, silver, gold, platinum has to do with power efficiency, not long term stability. For long term stability, you need to pick good brands and not push the PSU to the limits. Pull only up to 80% of the rated power out of the PSU at 24/7 operation, and even less in the Summer

Perhaps a XFX 850W or some Corsair 750W, or preferably Seasonic

██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
Mk2vr6 (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 12:38:09 PM

Thanks. Had my fingers burnt with cheaper PSU's in the past - Although being a decent make!

I'll sort the PSU, thats not a problem.

However, Sapphire 280x VaporX or Gigabyte 28XOC-3GD? Is it worth spending the extra £15-£20 on the Sappire card?

Thanks again.

Grin
atp1916
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 01:04:43 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 04:13:30 PM by atp1916

<snip>

Strongly disagree:
#1 Demand for those 1st-3rd gen scrypt asics will be astronomical.  Outside of personal company use, group-buyins, and solo farms buying up thousands of units, the chances of your average miner (you, me etc)  getting units is extremely small.   One could very well hold out for the next 2 years before scrypt asic supply levels out the demand.  Certainly not worth losing out on current profitability by "holding out".

#2 GPUs will (usually) be viable for next generational algorithms, while asics (probably) wont be.  Never buy non-repurposable hardware for the sake of end-game returns.  Look at the btc asics.  Only the very best asics are still viable, everything else is virtually worthless.  GPUs retain innate value and returns from their multipurposibility, while asics grow only to obsolescence and at a certain point, no return (or negative).  

#3 Going fiat to crypto is what is risky.  Cypto could crash tomorrow, and you lose your fiat.. period.  Going the hardware route is your hedge against risk.  Your hardware will not evaporate if crypto crashes.  Now, if one can't mine due to environmental factors or electrical, then fiat is your only option.
Mk2vr6 (OP)

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 11:51:40 PM

So, so far I have:

Gigabyte 970A-DS3 - £40 delivered.
Athlon X2 250 - £25 delivered.
Sapphire 280x VaporX - £250 delivered  (running in my desktop for timebeing)
I'll be pulling A 4gb stick of corsair vengeance out of my desktop, Dont need 8gb anyway.

I also think I should have my hands on two cards tomorrow - One 7950, One 7970 for the grand sum of £320!! We will see though.

Question for now is will a decent XFX 850w Psu with a single 12v rail (70A) be enough to power the three cards?

Grin
BotwinBG

Activity: 588
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 01:26:37 AM

Regarding PSUs - I went the discontinued server PSU route - currently running 4 cards off a single DPS-1520AB at 1440W or something, cost me about 140USD for 5 of them, half of that was delivery from the US to Scandinavia. The rest of the system is running on a somewhat cheap Corsair 400w unit and that is mostly cause I also mine datacoin on the cpu.

AMEPAY
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
│▌
AMEPAY IEO
▄██████▄ ▀██████▄
█████████  ▀█████
███████▀     ▀███
██████▀  ▄█▄  ▀██
██████▄  ▀█▀  ▄██
███████▄     ▄███
█████████  ▄█████
▀██████▀ ▄██████▀
AMEPAY LISTING
   ▐███▄
   ████▌
▐██████████▄
████████████
 ████▌  █████
▐████  ▄████
██████████▀
 ▀█████▀▀
▐│
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Mk2vr6 (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2014, 02:21:40 AM

Regarding PSUs - I went the discontinued server PSU route - currently running 4 cards off a single DPS-1520AB at 1440W or something, cost me about 140USD for 5 of them, half of that was delivery from the US to Scandinavia. The rest of the system is running on a somewhat cheap Corsair 400w unit and that is mostly cause I also mine datacoin on the cpu.

5x sever PSU's? Fancy selling me one? Lol. Im in the UK  Wink

I'll look into that, thank you. I've got a couple of old 400w PSU's knocking about, so could possibly use one for MOBO alone.

And offtopic/ Is datacoin profitable then?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: