Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:48:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How anonymous are Bitcoin debit cards?  (Read 173 times)
BitcoinArsenal (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 556

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 07:12:26 PM
Last edit: May 26, 2018, 09:02:21 AM by BitcoinArsenal

Recently I stumbled over an article which promoted Bitcoin debit cards. Few cards were featured as anonymous cards. I researched those cards and found out that you can use them without verification with lower limits however. Those limits (at least in the EU) are up to $1000 without any verification. All you need to provide is an address where the card is sent to. I could not find out if the address is given to the payment providers or not (VISA or Mastercard). What do you think, are those (limited) debit cards really anonymous?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 09:18:35 PM

Recently I stumbled over an article which promoted Bitcoin debit cards. Few cards were featured as anonymous cards. I researched those cards and found out that you can use them without verification with lower limits however. Those limits (at least in the EU) are up to $1000 without any verification. All you need to provide is a address where the card is sent to. I could not find out if the address is given to the payment providers or not (VISA or Mastercard). What do you think, are those (limited) debit card really anonymous?
I don't really belive that they are totally anonymous because somehow - as you wrote - they should send you that card. They register that name and address somewhere in their database. I know you can tell that e.g. you have ordered it for one of your friends but I don't know if they will belive you or not...
My opinion is that nothing is anonymous anymore in connection with debit/credit cards (bitcoin or not) but they advertise their card with the anonymity to be able to use much higher fees.... but this is only my opinion
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6125

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 06:13:13 AM

If you don't provide a name, they clearly can't know who you are and for an address, you could use one from a friend or a reship company for example but they'll still know when you use it, where you use etc. so no, anything related to Visa, MasterCard is far from being anonymous.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 06:40:52 AM

there is no point in using bitcoin debit cards if you are looking for anonymity and a "fiat" card where you can spend everywhere since you are not spending bitcoin but converting to fiat then spending it using these cards. just buy prepaid cards from shops where you simply can pay cash and be nearly 100% anonymous when doing that.
if you want anonymity then use bitcoin directly and if you want full anonymity then use an anon coin like Monero.

ps. regarding address how about using a P.O. box?

Only Bitcoin
Melody2

Activity: 137
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 07:11:34 AM

No. There is nothing anonymous about the debit card because for starters they need to know who exactly is receiving the card which means important details like names and even home addresses will be submitted. No anonymity if you ask me.

══════════║  Unidapp.app  ║══════════
FULLY DECENTRALIZED TRADING PLATFORM
══════════║  Unidapp.app  ║══════════
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 07:36:06 AM

As long as the P.O. box is not yours Smiley
Anonimity matters only if someone really wants to find you (even the tax authority). In that case they can ask the P.O. box service provider (e.g. the national Post) to give them your details, because you need to sign something to have a P.O. box...
BitcoinArsenal (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 09:07:20 AM

I don't really belive that they are totally anonymous because somehow - as you wrote - they should send you that card.

The question is if the debit card issuers hand over the name and address to the payment providers. As I wrote, I could not find information regarding this in the ToS and policies.

P.O. boxes are not anonymous anymore. At least not in my country. You need to provide a name and address to register it and to verify with an id card. So same situation.
Xavofat

Activity: 938
Merit: 559

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

View Profile
May 26, 2018, 02:42:45 PM

Not very anonymous since they'll have information about your usage and may collect other data (address, IP, etc), but considering how shady some of these companies are, it's probably a good thing for them not to have your ID even if they have quite a lot of information.

Cards are definitely not intended to be an anonymous payment system, so since in the majority of circumstances you'll have the option to use cash, you might as well just do that (or indeed, actually spend Bitcoin rather than fiat from one of these cards).

I also think that these anonymous Bitcoin debit card services are hanging by a thread and at any point they could become illegal, so I personally steer clear.  I did have a verified Xapo card once though.

fritzwalter195

Activity: 126
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 09:40:59 AM

I did not know such things exist.
BitcoinArsenal (OP)

View Profile
May 27, 2018, 06:35:07 PM

Usage is not a big thing if you buy in shops or withdraw money from various banks. The real IP address can be concealed.
I think except the address the card is sent to, there are the same amount of information revealed as you would buy with Bitcoin.

Not very anonymous since they'll have information about your usage and may collect other data (address, IP, etc), but considering how shady some of these companies are, it's probably a good thing for them not to have your ID even if they have quite a lot of information.
iyemroker

Activity: 129
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2018, 06:06:16 AM

can be anonym but when you register the card Bitcoin do not cantum name, address, contak person along with your data other self.

so when doing a transaction with Bitcoin, like withdrawal or deposit money can not track your name id except your Bitcoin address. But maybe it will be different again when Bitcoin card registration must use data yourself, then it is in the make sure it is not anonym anymore.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: