Bitcoin Forum
June 03, 2024, 04:02:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [WTB] 19" RackMount GPU Frame  (Read 7405 times)
miaviator (OP)
Donator

Activity: 686
Merit: 519

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2014, 11:39:10 PM

I added a "technical" drawing to the OP

Tom22

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 11:13:59 PM

Are you looking fore something like this?

I am about to run  a batch of these thru my shop is 16ga stainless steel.

https://i.imgur.com/AgSfA1O.png[/URL]
Sophokles

Activity: 1218
Merit: 516

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 11:25:08 PM

Are you looking fore something like this?

I am about to run  a batch of these thru my shop is 16ga stainless steel.

https://i.imgur.com/AgSfA1O.png[/img]

Something like that, but your proposal is definitely higher than 4U.
What is the height you are planning?

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
miaviator (OP)
Donator

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 11:25:41 PM

Very close.  But that beast looks to be 6-8 Rack units which nets 50-75% rigs per rack compared to my solution.  Also you have PCI brackets still on the cards for mounting and power below the cards which is a terrible idea for heat.

*And why would you put all that hardware in a rig and use a 3.5" non SSD hard drive?

Tom22

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 11:27:43 PM

This is 6u I have yet to be able to get 2 PS, mb, and 6 gpu into less then 5 and even then there is very little room for the top connectors on the gpu's

PM me for a phone number to chat if your interested.

below is a link to my shop

http://www.mtekcorp.com/company/images/lg/pano2.png

I can do it in 4u if you don't mind it almost 30" deep.
Tom22

View Profile
February 01, 2014, 11:40:01 PM

Very close.  But that beast looks to be 6-8 Rack units which nets 50-75% rigs per rack compared to my solution.  Also you have PCI brackets still on the cards for mounting and power below the cards which is a terrible idea for heat.

*And why would you put all that hardware in a rig and use a 3.5" non SSD hard drive?

The Power supplies are in the back under the cards to have the power connectors to the rear.
No heat is added as most newer PS'S ext to the back.
The hard drive is an example any drive bracket can be made.
I plan on doing these as kit (build your own) systems with options like rear card supports, extra fan banks, MB under GPU for standard risers and PS to the front.

miaviator (OP)
Donator

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2014, 11:42:16 PM

The Power supplies are in the back under the cards to have the power connectors to the rear.
I plan on doing these as kit (build your own) systems with options like rear card supports, extra fan banks, MB under GPU for standard risers and PS to the front.

The issue I see is that you are drawing heat from the GPU's and pulling it into the PSU, It's likely better than my solution which spits PSU heat into the GPU's but it's still going to heat up the PSU a lot.  Especially if you are like me and load up PSU's to 90-110% 24x7

Tom22

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 12:34:19 AM

The issue I see is that you are drawing heat from the GPU's and pulling it into the PSU, It's likely better than my solution which spits PSU heat into the GPU's but it's still going to heat up the PSU a lot.  Especially if you are like me and load up PSU's to 90-110% 24x7

Here's a quick concept update in 4u.
PM sent

https://i.imgur.com/EEyPVVH.png
miaviator (OP)
Donator

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 02:09:17 AM

Here's a quick concept update in 4u.
PM sent

Can you put 140MM fans in that center bank, make the gpu's center mounted vertically so there is room above and below, leave the space between the gpus open on the back of the case so air can flow by the cards (needed for non reference model cards)

miaviator (OP)
Donator

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 02:11:48 AM

It also looks like you could put a large fan between the PSU's on the front though it would have to be a hell of a high pressure high cfm fan to supply the three 120-140's in the center so open air may be better.

Those PSU's should exhale onto the GPUs or have a vent to push the air above or below the gpu's

Tom22

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 02:30:25 AM

It also looks like you could put a large fan between the PSU's on the front though it would have to be a hell of a high pressure high cfm fan to supply the three 120-140's in the center so open air may be better.

Those PSU's should exhale onto the GPUs or have a vent to push the air above or below the gpu's

All of those thing can be done, or at least most of them. If you are using 120mm server fans they flow about 100cfm each! The center fans can pull air from the front or thru vent slots on the sides.
With everything closed up all the air will pass thru the GPU's and slots between the GPU's.
The front and rear can be turned into swiss cheese to get air in as well.

Do you really need more then 300cfm? I'm running 6 290x's with a 1600w + 850w power supplies and have no problems with temps.

A 5 min phone call can solve all the issues.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 05:11:02 AM

The center fans can pull air from the front or thru vent slots on the sides.
With everything closed up all the air will pass thru the GPU's and slots between the GPU's.

I like it! Dumb question, tho: which end are you referring to when you say "front" and "rear"? I kind of assumed that the PSUs and MB connectors would be at the front, and the PSUs would blow the hot air out the back, but your wording makes me not sure.

So for the 4U version, you would have everything the same as pictured, except:

-GPUs would be centered vertically, to allow for riser depth on the bottom, and PSU power plugs on the top.
-GPU backplate would be swiss cheese mesh, to allow for airflow.
-3 center fans would be upgraded to 140mm sizes. Will these be too tall for proper cable management, with risers below, and PCIe power above?
-Most of the metal case on the front (between PSUs and MB) and sides (before the fans) would be vented swiss cheese.

That actually sounds perfect. How much are you looking to charge?

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Tom22

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 05:55:07 AM

The center fans can pull air from the front or thru vent slots on the sides.

I like it! Dumb question, tho: which end are you referring to when you say "front" and "rear"? I kind of assumed that the PSUs and MB connectors would be at the front, and the PSUs would blow the hot air out the back, but your wording makes me not sure.

So for the 4U version, you would have everything the same as pictured, except:

-GPUs would be centered vertically, to allow for riser depth on the bottom, and PSU power plugs on the top.
-GPU backplate would be swiss cheese mesh, to allow for airflow.
-3 center fans would be upgraded to 140mm sizes. Will these be too tall for proper cable management, with risers below, and PCIe power above?
-Most of the metal case on the front (between PSUs and MB) and sides (before the fans) would be vented swiss cheese.

That actually sounds perfect. How much are you looking to charge?

Here is a updated version. Moved the PS to the bottom for easier MB access.

1.   GPU'S are centered. Reversed PS and MB (you can flip the front plate to reverse it again).
2.   Back plate is swiss cheesed I still have to add vents to the front and sides.
3.   Right now the fans are 120mm and I added slots below the fans for wire control.
4.   Swiss cheese incomming!!!!
5.   I still have to add GPU rear support, Power/Reset switches

Once all the updates are done I should have a more exact price, But I'm looking to make it modular I.E. Rear Plate for 4 or 5 cards, 1/2/3 PS's, and just about anything else you can think of.
https://i.imgur.com/D1K7ioa.png

Please post any more ideas. I'll try to get in what I can.
miaviator (OP)
Donator

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 06:59:24 AM

I'd still like to see the specs in the op

Specifically card mounts built in to run the cards with no PCI brackets and adjustable mounts to evenly space 3-6 GPUs.

Tom22

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 07:17:53 AM

Specifically card mounts built in to run the cards with no PCI brackets and adjustable mounts to evenly space 3-6 GPUs.

AHHHHH....So you want a back that is completely open and you can slide the cards from side to side.
And a rear support that does the same. amiright?
Gazza1

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 11:17:08 AM

I am looking forward to seeing pics of this

Impossible is a word found only in the dictionary of fools.
ADT

Activity: 23

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 11:40:29 AM

I think you could fit 8 GPU in a 4u case with a bit of creative thinking Smiley ( 2 systems of 4 cards )

my Skype is zack.clark4 if you want to talk about it Smiley

Edit also it would be worth considering going 8u and running 4 systems of 4 cards each as you could use the space a lot better Smiley
miaviator (OP)
Donator

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 05:27:28 PM

AHHHHH....So you want a back that is completely open and you can slide the cards from side to side.
And a rear support that does the same. amiright?

Correct.  I want to run 2-4 High High End cards or 4-6 mid range cards.

If 10 of these go into a rack It'll hit 10Kw+ per rack pretty quick so some space for adjustment is needed.  Also there is a need for different spacing for future cards and systems.

Tom22

View Profile
February 02, 2014, 06:14:02 PM

OK, Here's the latest update with I think is what the OP wanted.

The cards can be moved from side to side with any amount of cards kind of like an open rack.
1 PS (although a second can be added).
4 80mm front fans, 3 120mm mid fans and 3 120mm rear fan in removable tray.

https://i.imgur.com/mHUH9hc.png

Need to get more info from the OP on the rear card support.
miaviator (OP)
Donator

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2014, 06:24:48 PM

Calling you in a few.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: