Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:53:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Very intense debate regarding cntl banking World Economic Forum @1hour4minutes  (Read 1338 times)
CtrlAltBernanke420 (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 10:11:14 PM

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-01-22/elliotts-paul-singer-debates-whether-markets-are-safer-now-live-webcast

World Economic Forum.

At an hour and 4 minutes or so, the next 10 minutes become very telling about world.

The anger towards the bankers, how the system works, she gets direct with these guys and makes a handful of stabs, the bankers do their best to defend.

Through out there is discussion of the failure of central banking..

It gets good at the end. 1 hour 4 min.... eh.. 20 seconds in.

Lady is from Silicon Valley.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lloydie

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 01:22:13 AM

Fiat based debt system is dysfunctional and inappropriate for society. Going back to hard money is the solution. Bitcoin is hard money without the problems of illiquidity because it is divisible.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 04:18:02 AM

I just watched the 10 minutes when the lady was speaking about debt overhang. But as soon as the smug bankers started replying, I had to close the thing. I just can't stand watching fat cat bankers defending themselves, its sick-making  Angry
prophetx
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010

he who has the gold makes the rules

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 04:58:09 AM

That's why we must not fight them, rather bring them into the fold by attraction and bringing them to realize that they only can benefit financially by adopting these technologies.

Most of the people in our societies have been paying some kind of imagined debt whether perpetual (slaves or serfs) or temporary (wage slavery), our societies are debt driven not opportunity driven.  Crypto makes access to capital that much easier, because it lowers transaction costs of finding high performers.

Anyway this is all I have to say on this subject. For now.
Lloydie

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 05:29:42 AM

That's why we must not fight them, rather bring them into the fold by attraction and bringing them to realize that they only can benefit financially by adopting these technologies.

Most of the people in our societies have been paying some kind of imagined debt whether perpetual (slaves or serfs) or temporary (wage slavery), our societies are debt driven not opportunity driven.  Crypto makes access to capital that much easier, because it lowers transaction costs of finding high performers.

First they ignore it then they laugh at it. Then they understand it and will try to replicate it. Only after that will they all pile in and get as many as their pudgy fingers can grab. Still, that is ok. At least debt based fiat will be more or less fading into history. We are at replication stage I think.
prophetx
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 06:38:43 AM

Most of the people in our societies have been paying some kind of imagined debt whether perpetual (slaves or serfs) or temporary (wage slavery), our societies are debt driven not opportunity driven.  Crypto makes access to capital that much easier, because it lowers transaction costs of finding high performers.

First they ignore it then they laugh at it. Then they understand it and will try to replicate it. Only after that will they all pile in and get as many as their pudgy fingers can grab. Still, that is ok. At least debt based fiat will be more or less fading into history. We are at replication stage I think.

nah way too early only maybe 0.1% adoption at this point.  but we are moving to 1% adoption in the next year 1 or 2 I believe.

by the end of the decade this will hit full on critical mass which is hitting about 15 or 20% where the network effect takes over.

and when that happens i think some very interesting things for the history books will start to happen.

for example if the dominant currency is not government controlled, things start getting real interesting.  if certain cutting edge distributed applications do no accept fiat, ummm how does govt even do the things it is supposed to do?  

but the more real interesting answer to that question is that you can start using distributed systems to pay for and care for things that bureaucracies are responsible for (like what roads get build, how much forest is cut, etc).  They were invented back around the time of the Roman Empire or maybe dating back to the Babylonians and Egyptians...  well if you can coinify bureaucratic decisions from transaction and proof of stake data, you can then lower your cost of government which is a necessarily high expense for analog civilizations.

sounds a bit far out but i think it is possible to have much more efficient societal level decision making that isn't such Byzantine labyrinth of regulations that even lawyers I talk to barely have a sufficient knowledge of to make sound decisions.
Lloydie

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 07:01:29 AM

nah way too early only maybe 0.1% adoption at this point.  but we are moving to 1% adoption in the next year 1 or 2 I believe.

by the end of the decade this will hit full on critical mass which is hitting about 15 or 20% where the network effect takes over.

and when that happens i think some very interesting things for the history books will start to happen.

for example if the dominant currency is not government controlled, things start getting real interesting.  if certain cutting edge distributed applications do no accept fiat, ummm how does govt even do the things it is supposed to do?  

but the more real interesting answer to that question is that you can start using distributed systems to pay for and care for things that bureaucracies are responsible for (like what roads get build, how much forest is cut, etc).  They were invented back around the time of the Roman Empire or maybe dating back to the Babylonians and Egyptians...  well if you can coinify bureaucratic decisions from transaction and proof of stake data, you can then lower your cost of government which is a necessarily high expense for analog civilizations.

sounds a bit far out but i think it is possible to have much more efficient societal level decision making that isn't such Byzantine labyrinth of regulations that even lawyers I talk to barely have a sufficient knowledge of to make sound decisions.

JP Morgan are trying to replicate. Also a Russian bank. I'm sure there are others. Who knows, we might see SDRs in a bitcoin protocol.

At expansion rate of 20% per month, doubling time is every 3.5 months. From 1 million base to 1% of population, approx 70 million will take about 21 months. So, yeah about 2 years unless we hit some kind of tipping point in certain markets before then.

Decentralisation will be an interesting transition.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 07:15:57 AM

JP Morgan are trying to replicate. Also a Russian bank. I'm sure there are others. Who knows, we might see SDRs in a bitcoin protocol.

At expansion rate of 20% per month, doubling time is every 3.5 months. From 1 million base to 1% of population, approx 70 million will take about 21 months. So, yeah about 2 years unless we hit some kind of tipping point in certain markets before then.

Yeah we are definitely seeing the start of the replication stage. Its a good sign banks are trying to replicate even though bitcoin penetration in the real world is still so low. Banks can see a good thing. "Shame" they have no chance of usurping it.
prophetx
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 12:38:58 PM

Yeah we are definitely seeing the start of the replication stage. Its a good sign banks are trying to replicate even though bitcoin penetration in the real world is still so low. Banks can see a good thing. "Shame" they have no chance of usurping it.

of course they can usurp it. 

never assume something cannot be done.
CtrlAltBernanke420 (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 04:08:53 PM

Soo. 1 person watched the video?
JohnsonRobinson

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:56:27 PM

Great video, thanks.  It's interesting to see those high up within the system discussing its problems.

They seem to be blissfully unaware of the impending blockchain tsunami!
Lloydie

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 11:01:21 PM

No chance. You can't centralise something that is inherently decentralised.
empoweoqwj

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 03:57:16 AM

No chance. You can't centralise something that is inherently decentralised.

They'll give it a go though. Gotta stay fat somehow.

Your signature is hilarious by the way Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: