Bitcoin Forum
July 08, 2024, 03:50:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally, voltage control for mining on linux (HD7000/R9)  (Read 1406 times)
tgt (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 10:13:45 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/litecoinmining/comments/1vvyo7/lets_get_some_voltage_control_on_linux/

If you think this is something you're interested/serious about (anybody mining scrypt on linux right now should be nodding furiously) - post up a pledge (your public wallet + how much you want to contribute to the bounty) I'll tally it up after and we'll get this thing off the ground.

I have spoken to the developer of radeonvolt (voltage control on linux for the HD5xxx series), and he's open to adding support to it for the VRM's found in most of the 7950/7970/R9 270/R9 280X's (and potentially the R9 290/290X if the bounty looks good). Namely: CHL822x, CHL8214, UP1637, UP1801, ST6788A, VT1556M.

I want to know if you guys are willing to pledge a bounty for this (in ltc, doge, whatever you can, I'll work out equivalent $ value). Post up what you're willing to donate and your address, I'll make a preliminary tally and see how much traction we have. I am going to pledge 1 BTC and hope that others will follow so we can get a working voltage control app for Linux. Voltage control is a big deal - it means cooler cards, more stability and less power draw - all of this equates into longer card life.

So, lets see what kind of interest we can drum up. Please share this around and see what kind of traction it can get.
I will x-post this with the author of bamt as there is a big following for that.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:33:36 AM

You know you can already undervolt in Linux? It's called VBE7, and it's rock solid. Look it up.

Works on almost all 7xxx cards, including the 280x. No support for the 290(x), but that's a whole other story. You can barely undervolt in Windows with those cards.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
tgt (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:58:02 AM

Yes but flashing your bios is something that is hard to do remotely without ipmi/lilo, and not very efficient when you're trying to find the voltage floor for a card.  Once you've found it, by all means create a modified bios (unless you're on a 290/290X... in which case this would be a nice non-signature breaking way to do it).

The other thing to consider is you can also READ the vrm voltage off the vrm itself.  This gives you exact voltage down to the millivolt in some cases.  You can also read amperage on most of these vrms.. this gives you true wattage.  This is valuable information for system tuning/sizing.
Gazza1

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 10:49:16 PM

Does this work yet?  I normally use VBE7 but with all the different algos and their required different settings now this would be extremely beneficial to just control it in Linux

Impossible is a word found only in the dictionary of fools.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: