Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 04:34:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: eBay removed my physical bitcoin listings  (Read 2461 times)
fryarminer (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 11:24:30 PM

So I had a couple listings for a Titan Bitcoin and a Casascius bitcoin on eBay. They were removed by eBay today and I received an email notice stating the following:

"Due to regulations around the world, eBay restricts what types of currency can be listed. Replica coins are not allowed on eBay. All virtual currency must be listed in the Classified Ad format in the Coins & Paper Money > Virtual Currency category, regardless of whether the item is digitally or physically delivered."

So I relisted them as the email indicated. Only as a classified ad, and in the category they suggested. I guess eBay is cracking down on Bitcoin. However it's kind of an insult to say that a Casascius coin is a "replica".
qiwoman

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 11:28:53 PM

I feel for you but I guess because some ebays around the world are not accepting Bitcoin due to regulations in their countries of origin they have to re evaluate and re classify it all. Many countries are finding it hard to find a solid classification for Bitcoin. I just wish they could do what Germany dd and accept it as legal tender then it would make everything so easy. Smiley
General

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 11:30:08 PM

Seems to me like you just posted it in the wrong category.

lx001

Activity: 1134
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 11:37:23 PM

I do not get it.
When did they a "Virtual Currency" category to eBay?
DrBitcoin

Activity: 350
Merit: 294

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 11:45:59 PM

Yes. But this sucks because as far as I can tell, you can only list for 30, 60, and 90 days. There is a $10 listing fee, and I saw no buy it now option.

Am I missing something?

Is this why people are selling 1 penny, and gifting the BTC, and does ebay even fall for these pathetic loopholes?
MakeBelieve

Activity: 602

View Profile
January 22, 2014, 11:55:41 PM

Isn't ebay owned by the paypal guys? I'm sure they have banned people for listing Bitcoin related stuff on there.

On a mission to make Bitcointalk.org Marketplace a safer place to Buy/Sell/Trade
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 12:41:25 AM

Isn't ebay owned by the paypal guys? I'm sure they have banned people for listing Bitcoin related stuff on there.

I think it is the other way around...ebay owns paypal (i think), not 100% sure though..
LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 12:59:54 AM

So I had a couple listings for a Titan Bitcoin and a Casascius bitcoin on eBay. They were removed by eBay today and I received an email notice stating the following:

"Due to regulations around the world, eBay restricts what types of currency can be listed. Replica coins are not allowed on eBay. All virtual currency must be listed in the Classified Ad format in the Coins & Paper Money > Virtual Currency category, regardless of whether the item is digitally or physically delivered."

So I relisted them as the email indicated. Only as a classified ad, and in the category they suggested. I guess eBay is cracking down on Bitcoin. However it's kind of an insult to say that a Casascius coin is a "replica".

When are you guys going to learn?

No Paypal, no ebay.

End of story.

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
fryarminer (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 01:37:43 AM

When are you guys going to learn?

No Paypal, no ebay.

End of story.

My $.02.

Wink

So what's an alternative?
zagerfish

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 01:40:47 AM

we should all support a bitcoin style auction site to compete with ebay.

Ebay, like paypal, takes too much in fees anyhow.
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 01:50:10 AM

I do not get it.
When did they a "Virtual Currency" category to eBay?

Recently: http://voiceofrussia.com/2014_01_22/Ebay-to-add-virtual-currency-category-for-bitcoin-3617/
fryarminer (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:02:37 AM

I'm in.

There was Bitmit, but it's been dead since it was sold. It didn't work so well for me either - I got burned a few times and never managed to get a decent transaction completed.
Coinster

Activity: 222
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 03:49:22 AM

Working on this now actually. Stay tuned... Smiley
Cryptolator

Activity: 508

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 05:34:31 AM

I sold quite a few Casascius and Lealana 3 weeks ago without any problem.

I really think it's a wrong section problem more than anything.
Cryptolator

Activity: 508

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 05:36:38 AM

Yeah, they took around 12% on my Casascius and Lealana sell, that's ridiculous !
CryptKeeper
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1055

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 05:42:13 AM

Thank you for that, very interesting. I think, ebay opening up for bitcoin auctions is a good thing!

Follow me on twitter! I'm a private Bitcoin and altcoin hodler. Giving away crypto for free on my Twitter feed!
Trance

Activity: 551

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 05:47:37 AM

I used to sell World Of Warcraft gold and characters and items on eBay and after 2006-2008 (between that time frame I recall) they did not allow people to sell because of the amount of fraud, hence if the internet is over 50% piracy what would the statistics be for fraud within the realm? ebay most likely does not want the bad publicity!

Some people are so poor ALL they have is money
codyave

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 07:19:35 AM

eBay removed my dogecoin listing last night. they used the same memo.

https://i.imgur.com/ktXyQ3J.jpg
lx001

Activity: 1134
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:09:24 AM

why "everything else -> information products" when they have made a virtual currency category? or there was still no such category at that time?
and could somebody please give me a link to these classified ad listings because i'm unable to find them
CaptainBeck

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:18:11 AM

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jan/21/ebay-clamps-down-on-bitcoin-sales-in-the-uk

Its more so Ebay can have some kind of legal cover if everything goes tits up on the buyer/seller. At the moment they just kind of put it as an unknown thing and different really cover it in its user agreement.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: