Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:05:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Take the covers off your non reference card GPUs!  (Read 554 times)
bjalbert (OP)

Activity: 166
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 04:37:18 AM

All these cards have open non directional airflow heat traps. I have 280x's and take the covers off (4 screws for asus) and this allows your fans to work in a case or open rig. The warranty is only for removing the heatsink and this should have no effect other than easy way to keep cool and clear dust.

WARNING - The fans are exposed and you need to be careful they don't hit anything. I lost a couple fan blades but was able to repair them with industrial super glue. 3200 rpm and they are fine :-)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
AtlantisPlatform

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 05:21:04 AM

All these cards have open non directional airflow heat traps. I have 280x's and take the covers off (4 screws for asus) and this allows your fans to work in a case or open rig. The warranty is only for removing the heatsink and this should have no effect other than easy way to keep cool and clear dust.

WARNING - The fans are exposed and you need to be careful they don't hit anything. I lost a couple fan blades but was able to repair them with industrial super glue. 3200 rpm and they are fine :-)

The covers act as a shroud to spread air over fins, you need the covers to help cooling. Leave the shrouds on.
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 06:43:51 AM

There are certain components on the card that rely on the airflow generated from the pathing through the shroud - remove the shroud and those components will overheat.  Some really nice cards have everything heatsinked well but cheaper ones won't even have pads on the VRMs, for example, and will overheat without the correct air pathing.

Keep the shrouds on unless you have external airflow.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: