Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:42:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A few more minutes of your creative minds? - The Bitcoin Society  (Read 756 times)
The Observer (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 05:05:31 AM

Good evening to all once again, and thank you to all who helped in the naming dilemma.

After 3 days of fighting with a hosting company, and piss poor coded theme, i am finally down to the nitty gritty, and before i outsourced to fiverr.com for a graphic designer i wanted to reach out to the bitcoin community to see if anyone would have any interest in helping with a logo design for "The Bitcoin Society". I figured someone might have more appreciation for $5 worth of bitcoin in place of me paying some random person from fiverr.com five dollars to do the gig.

I am open to seeing any and all designs you guys can come up with, and am not going to put too many restrictions on the design. I simply want it professional looking, and scalable so we can use it for everything from the website to a billboard.

I would prefer if you can use either photoshop, illustrator, or another adobe product for the design so we can get the original files to use for all future media. No need to post your bitcoin address for payment, if your design is selected i will message you to get the PSD or other files and get your address at that time.

The person with the chosen design also will get first chance at a lot of our future design projects until we hire a full time graphic designer.

We are in a holding patter waiting for the secretary of state to get our corporation papers processed so we can get our EIN and being to hire a few full time "work from home" staff, there will only be a few positions available and i will be posting a new thread when the time comes for that.

Thanks in advance to all who help with the logo design, and Thank you again to all you wonderful people who helped us in the naming department. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 06:12:45 AM

That person gets less than $4. It's slave labor.

The Observer (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 06:25:53 AM

I can appreciate your input bitpop, but the people who list gigs on fiverr are offering the services themselves not working for big corporations. They do it because they want to make some money on the side. I figured i would offer the same offer to someone from our community. For people who do graphic and logo design frequently its a 10 minute job. Pick a font, move some words around, make a cool shape or add a twist to something. Anyways i didnt start this thread to talk about labor rates for a logo. If nobody bites on it, i will just go back to fiverr as i would have done in the first place. Just wanted to offer the "gig" to someone with bitcoin first.
gogodr

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 06:29:35 AM

Sorry, you must be joking right?
Just recently adobe changed to the creative cloud system which makes it way cheaper to get into graphic design, but before that we had to do many gigs, in order to pay for the 700$ license. You can imagine than charging only 5$ for a logo is a no go.
A professional logo is something that takes time because one haves to study the company and be able to represent the whole company in a simple image. Usually my work goes around 80$ can go a little lower can go a little higher and that's for small businesses or start ups.
Sometimes a logo can be done in an hour or less if the concept is clear, but it took me years to be able to do it quickly.

what you are asking is just insulting.

go to fiveer and get your work done by an amateur, don't ask for a professional if you are not willing to pay. Professionals make a living out of their work.
The Observer (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 06:56:11 AM

Sorry, you must be joking right?
Just recently adobe changed to the creative cloud system which makes it way cheaper to get into graphic design, but before that we had to do many gigs, in order to pay for the 700$ license. You can imagine than charging only 5$ for a logo is a no go.
A professional logo is something that takes time because one haves to study the company and be able to represent the whole company in a simple image. Usually my work goes around 80$ can go a little lower can go a little higher and that's for small businesses or start ups.
Sometimes a logo can be done in an hour or less if the concept is clear, but it took me years to be able to do it quickly.

go to fiveer and get your work done by an amateur, don't ask for a professional if you are not willing to pay. Professionals make a living out of their work.

I was not asking for a "professional" with thousands of dollars in software, once we have finished our incorporation we will have one on staff. i was throwing out a cheap "gig" for someone who wanted to make a quick $5 in BTC for a few minutes of their time. You too are entitled to your opinions just like everyone else, it seems a lot of people around here have them, although there really is no need to share them as i the OP truthfully do not care about them, but who am i to judge.

Troll on my friends, If i cant get anything productive out of starting this thread at least i can use it to spare myself in buying tomorrows newspaper as i will already have the "opinions" column to entertain my morning.
gogodr

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 07:19:38 AM

Yes you did...
"I would prefer if you can use either photoshop, illustrator, or another adobe product for the design so we can get the original files to use for all future media." The Observer - 2014

You know, when you think you are right.. and a lot of people tell you that you are wrong, just .. maybe.. you could start taking in consideration the possibility that you might be wrong.

You know.. this is actually advice what I'm giving you. I'm trying to make you understand, that if you want something done good and professionally, you have invest on it. Almost nothing is free, and almost nothing good is cheap,but sometimes free is better than cheap.

If you are making a company and you are not willing to invest seriously in that company, it's value will always be rock bottom. If this is a personal project of yours with no profitability in mind, you should let people know and make hype for it. Maybe you could get someone to collaborate with you for something else than money.

Asking for a professional to work for 5$ is just an insult. I'm trying to give you some real advice, I hope you take it. Just the advice I'm giving you here is worth more than 5$, but I'm giving it to you for free because that's what a community is supposed to be.
The Observer (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 07:33:07 AM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 09:24:06 AM by The Observer

Yes you did...
"I would prefer if you can use either photoshop, illustrator, or another adobe product for the design so we can get the original files to use for all future media." The Observer - 2014

You know, when you think you are right.. and a lot of people tell you that you are wrong, just .. maybe.. you could start taking in consideration the possibility that you might be wrong.

You know.. this is actually advice what I'm giving you. I'm trying to make you understand, that if you want something done good and professionally, you have invest on it. Almost nothing is free, and almost nothing good is cheap,but sometimes free is better than cheap.

If you are making a company and you are not willing to invest seriously in that company, it's value will always be rock bottom. If this is a personal project of yours with no profitability in mind, you should let people know and make hype for it. Maybe you could get someone to collaborate with you for something else than money.

Asking for a professional to work for 5$ is just an insult. I'm trying to give you some real advice, I hope you take it. Just the advice I'm giving you here is worth more than 5$, but I'm giving it to you for free because that's what a community is supposed to be.

i would be willing to bet half my bitcoin that at least 25% of the member on this forum have the software mentioned above from P2P network of some sort. There was an article published just a few months ago that said 80% of adobe suite programs in existence on computers today are hacked copies. you do not need to be a pro to have photoshop or illustrator. None the less, thanks for the advice if that is what we are calling it. $25 on fiverr got me 5 different artists, one of them will get it right, and they were thankful for the work so i dont have to spend an hour negotiating the price.
ADcoin.me

Activity: 795
Merit: 500

Name change soon (hopefully)

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 08:49:23 AM

Damn sure it is.

Palcoin.co
merockstar

Activity: 203

BTS: merockstar420

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:08:00 AM

I made this in fifteen minutes using pinta -- i know nothing of graphics art. lol

raskul

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:21:01 AM

i would be willing to bet half my bitcoin that at least 25% of the member on this forum have the software mentioned above from P2P network of some sort.

a quarter of the members of this forum are criminals?

I have all the relevant software, and also the design expertise.
As well as my licenced software, I have also bought and paid for ALL the music I have on my devices.

my rates are

£175 + VAT half day.
£250 + VAT full day.

I retain copyright of all designs, but for an extra fee of £250 + VAT per year, you may licence any of my designs for global use.

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
Bitcoinwunder

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 12:06:31 PM

Sorry for the off topic post. Couldn't stop myself.  Roll Eyes

You can imagine than charging only 5$ for a logo is a no go.

To say it in your own words:

Can you imagine that charging only 5$ 80$ for a logo is a no go?
A professional logo is something that takes time because one has to study the company and be able to represent the whole company in a simple image. Usually work like that goes for far over 80$. 2-300$ is a minimum for small businesses.

Offering logos for 80$ is insulting. Don't undersell yourself. This is the main piece of design for a company. It is a crucial par of their business and should be treated as such. They will represent themselves with it for many years. Print it on products, put it on the website, their app logo, business cards and letterheads and make money/are successful partly because of having a nice logo. They reuse it again, again and again. If you sell logos for 80$ and think that's a fair price then you're scamming yourself. You can charge more than that for business cards.

Better stop designing logos and do only other stuff, if you don't find clients that appreciate your work. If you are a student and want to build up your portfolio, fine, you could even do it for a 5er. But otherwise, no. A design process includes more than 20 min on photoshop (actually: Logos should NEVER be designed in photoshop): Design brief, discussion, research, sketches/concepts, mockups, reflection, presentation. And these are not even the full costs that come up. Add health insurance, software licenses, your hardware, workplace etc. You can charge 80$ if you still live with Mom, or in India/Philippines.

But yeah, sure you can get one for 5$ . “If you pay peanuts you get monkeys”.
raskul

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 12:15:15 PM

Sorry for the off topic post. Couldn't stop myself.  Roll Eyes

You can imagine than charging only 5$ for a logo is a no go.

Can you imagine that charging only 5$ 80$ for a logo is a no go?
A professional logo is something that takes time because one has to study the company and be able to represent the whole company in a simple image. Usually work like that goes for far over 80$. 2-300$ is a minimum for small businesses.

Offering logos for 80$ is insulting. Don't undersell yourself. This is the main piece of design for a company. It is a crucial par of their business and should be treated as such. hey will represent themselves with it for many years. Print it on products, put it on the website, their app logo, business cards and letterheads and make money/are successful partly because of having a nice logo. They reuse it again, again and again. If you sell logos for 80$ and think that's a fair price then you're scamming yourself. You can charge more than that for business cards.

Better stop designing logos and do only other stuff, if you don't find clients that appreciate your work. If you are a student and want to build up your portfolio, fine, you could even do it for a 5er. But otherwise, no. A design process includes more than 20 min on photoshop (actually: Logos should NEVER be designed in photoshop): Design brief, discussion, research, sketches/concepts, mockups, reflection, presentation. And these are not even the full costs that come up. Add health insurance, software licenses, your hardware, workplace etc. You can charge 80$ if you still live with Mom, or in India/Philippines.

But yeah, sure you can get one for 5$ . “If you pay peanuts you get monkeys”.

+1
Also...
The designer MUST also have public liability insurance.

there are many pitfalls when using a logo as company branding / advertising, and to ensure that you don't get sued by a huge corporation, or even Joe Bloggs (who has something similar already tattooed on his forehead), any logo design MUST be fully researched, as mentioned above and checked for copyright infringements.

IF you don't have PL insurance, this will leave the company who have asked you to do their logo free from action, costing you a tad more than your $5 / $80 in the long run.

I am insured to provide such services, and this is why I keep copyright, and offer yearly licencing - it protects the company i'm working for.

tips    1APp826DqjJBdsAeqpEstx6Q8hD4urac8a
gogodr

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 12:24:21 PM

I agree but the current reality is that at least the market I'm getting is too competitive, designers always undercutting each other. (This is for freelancer designers, studio designers shouldn't really deal with this problems)
Lately I have been only getting gigs like that, going freelance is all about staying competitive, and I can't really afford to get undercut wanting to get paid the rightful amount. Even I have my limits on how low I will go, and it is around 80$ per gig right now...
(this is just on the freelance though, I pay my bills with my web design business. Usually clients don't see the value with the small gigs, but when we present the big picture and the whole product with a proper explanation, they are willing to pay just fine.)
The Observer (OP)

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:27:51 PM

I made this in fifteen minutes using pinta -- i know nothing of graphics art. lol

Thanks Merockstar, I like where its going. Would be kind of hard to shrink down for a website logo, but it for sure portrays the concept of what the bitcoin society will be all about.
merockstar

Activity: 203

BTS: merockstar420

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 02:39:52 AM

Thanks Merockstar, I like where its going. Would be kind of hard to shrink down for a website logo, but it for sure portrays the concept of what the bitcoin society will be all about.

good point.

I was trying to figure out a way one might alter the bitcoin logo to incorporate bitcoin society, so that even if I couldn't do the graphics myself I could maybe draw my idea and scan it in, but the acronym for Bitcoin Society would be "BS." Certainly not the acronym we want to use. If you add the worth "the" it makes it TBS, but you know people are going to drop the "the," unless TBS grows really really fast.
revjp

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 03:28:48 AM

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39243446/tbslogo.jpg

First thing that popped into my head...
The Observer (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 05:29:36 AM

Very creative revjp, The only problem is that if i made it small enough to fit in a website logo spot, it would be so short you could not make out the shape. Most logo spaces on websites are for long rectangles not tall ones. But i love the way you used the $ symbol and the bitcoin symbol.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: