Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:31:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the right and fair way to stop Mike Hearn?  (Read 14019 times)
Mr. Gabu (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:37:21 PM

I think Mike Hearn is way out of line with all his actions.

What is the correct and fair way to remove Mike Hearn from the Bitcoin development?

Can this be done by community vote?

Can this be done by developer vote?

I have nothing against this person and he can develop "bitcoinj" all he want's and stay a Bitcoin expert (at NSA and Circle or in the media). But he should not be part of the core Bitcoin client developtment.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Peter Todd
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 08:59:06 PM

Bitcoin is a decentralized system.

If you don't like the work Mike does, don't use it! If you don't like the direction he's going with that work, write some code yourself that goes in a different direction. If you don't like where "core" Bitcoin client development is "going", go to http://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin and hit the "Fork" button and convince other people to join your development effort.

You people seriously misunderstand how Bitcoin works...

Peter Todd
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 09:05:23 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 09:21:26 PM by Peter Todd

Incidentally:

pete@petertodd:~/src/bitcoin$ git log | grep Mike\ Hearn | wc -l
pete@petertodd:~/src/bitcoin$ git log | grep Peter\ Todd | wc -l
pete@petertodd:~/src/bitcoin$ git log | grep Gregory\ Maxwell | wc -l
pete@petertodd:~/src/bitcoin$ git log | grep Pieter\ Wuille | wc -l
pete@petertodd:~/src/bitcoin$ git log | grep Gavin\ Andresen | wc -l
pete@petertodd:~/src/bitcoin$ git log | grep 'Wladimir J. van der Laan' | wc -l

Whether or not you're a "core" developer is a social statement about how much other people respect your work and opinions. If you don't like Mike's work, do some of your own in a different direction that other people respect. It doesn't have to necessarily be code, but calls for a community vote from a guy with twenty-something posts isn't it either.

Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 09:09:24 PM

What is the correct and fair way to remove Mike Hearn from the Bitcoin development?
If you mean bitcoind development, it would be by convincing the other developers to no longer accept his patches, and convincing the community to not use his patches either. The critical matter, as always, is one of trust.

Here's a good start: why not make the argument in this thread, right here and now, as to what is so "out of line" about "Mike's actions" that the community ought to reject him/his work?

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
Mr. Gabu (OP)

Activity: 98

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 09:17:04 PM

Thank you Peter, so he did only 9 commits. Kinda strange or misleading to call himself bitcoin core developer then.
To give some explanation, I watched his London video and what he says there was finally enough for me.

There is a good discussion under: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=428777.0

Qoheleth/everbody:
I think he is out of line, pushing for blacklisting.
I think he is out of line, pushing for SSL as part of this payment protocol.
I think he way is out of line, trying to force everybody to proof their identity by verifying their passport.

This is against Satoshis and all earlier crypto-hackers spirit, ideas and dreams.

Peter Todd
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 09:25:51 PM

Thank you Peter, so he did only 9 commits. Kinda strange or misleading to call himself bitcoin core developer then.
To give some explanation, I watched his London video and what he says there was finally enough for me.

There is a good discussion under: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=428777.0

Qoheleth/everbody:
I think he way is out of line, trying to force everybody to proof their identity by verifying their passport.

You're missing my point. Those 9 commits aren't why some people call Mike a core developer just as much as my 19 commits aren't why some people call me one - our contributions are to things other than some central repository of code.

Thus, there's no authority on who is or isn't a "core" developer beyond "people believe you are" - so if you don't like Mike's influence do something with more influence. This thread isn't one of those things.

gglon

Activity: 64

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 09:32:53 PM

Qoheleth/everbody:
These are just some proposed solutions to the known problems (he is not pushing anything). If you know better solutions, please share, so that we will be able to choose the best solution available.
TruckStyling

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 09:36:52 PM

Here's a good start: why not make the argument in this thread, right here and now, as to what is so "out of line" about "Mike's actions" that the community ought to reject him/his work?
I think this not right or misleading.

Who can really reject his patches? Only Gavin, right? Gavin won't reject his patches because they are buddies ...

That's why people are asking for a different way to stop Hearns involvement.
Peter Todd
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 09:39:41 PM

You can't the core is already too powerful, they want that way. Why do you think they only have one developer working on the blockchain is too big and needs to be prune problem? Cause they want to keep it big so other people don't use it, they can make bitcoin centralize. Money and power corrupt it is no different in the bitcoin world.

Oh, I didn't realize I was the only person working on that problem. Mind telling me who "they" are so I can ask for my paycheck? Thanks.

(fwiw litecoin hired me to implement or sub-contract someone else to implement pruning of some kind in a fairly open-ended contract)

Yet in less than 6 months they have push thru a payment protocol that they know is broken and uses central authorities.

You're welcome to implement the non-broken OpenPGP code, or fund someone to do so for you. I'd be happy to manage such an effort if the community wants to fund it and can find some developers - I've written extensively on how to do it elsewhere.

tl;dr: talk is cheap.

TruckStyling

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 09:44:23 PM

You're welcome to implement the non-broken OpenPGP code, or fund someone to do so for you. I'd be happy to manage such an effort if the community wants to fund it and can find some developers - I've written extensively on how to do it elsewhere.
Is this a joke? How many millions did this foundation ripped of the community in member fees?
Why do we have to pay for development? This is absurd.
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2014, 09:56:10 PM

Lets be honest peter we all know that no one is going to use the openPGP code, bitpay has already come out in support and that will make their merchants use that and coinbase (which I love and have great support for) is going to use it since Gavin is on the board. I mean to implement openPGP code would waste my funds and my time.
If PGP is a nonstarter, what would your preferred solution be to the problem which SSL integration purports to address?

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
whtchocla7e

Activity: 392
Merit: 116

Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 09:57:34 PM

People who control development control the future of Bitcoin. Better get used to it.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▃▅▆█ L E A D █▆▅▃▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
World's Simplest and Safest Decentralized Cryptocurrency Wallet!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ • STORE • SEND • SPEND • SWAP • STAKE • ▬▬▬▬▬▬
Holliday
Legendary

Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:04:06 PM

People who control development control the future of Bitcoin. Better get used to it.

Wrong.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
Peter Todd
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:06:42 PM

I think this not right or misleading.

Who can really reject his patches? Only Gavin, right? Gavin won't reject his patches because they are buddies ...

That's why people are asking for a different way to stop Hearns involvement.

You guys don't hang around github much:

Enable tx replacement on testnet. (closed)

Drop fees by 10x due to the persistently higher exchange rate. (not getting merged)

Gavin doesn't have magical merge-by-fiat powers either:

Remove hard-coded fee rules (closed)

Relay first-double-spend transactions (not getting merged)

Nor does he have magical powers over the Bitcoin Foundation bylaws:

Add promotion and protection of decentralization to purposes

Even in the centralized development structure arguing things intelligently goes a long way, and when your ideas get rejected in that central repository you can always take them elsewhere, or even to a different currency altogether.

Yes you are the only working on it, and I surprise this isn't bigger issue. It should be something that should be worked on by all the top devs. "They" are the foundation and no I am not going to start an argue about how the foundation has nothing to do with the bitcoin codebase, which we all know at this time isn't true.

Pieter Wuille is doing the bulk of the work getting pruning implemented actually. It's just taking awhile because the changes he needs to make to the networking code to enable it are quite complex and risky - he's already had to throw out his first attempt at solving it.

As for other scalability issues, Gregory Maxwell, Adam Back, Andrew Miller, Mark Freidenbach, and yes, Mike Hearn are all working on various aspects of the problem, among others. It's just a very, very hard problem.

Lets be honest peter we all know that no one is going to use the openPGP code, bitpay has already come out in support and that will make their merchants use that and coinbase (which I love and have great support for) is going to use it since Gavin is on the board. I mean to implement openPGP code would waste my funds and my time.

OpenPGP is actually most interesting, and obviously valuable, for the person-to-person case; you're money would do good things there. (Dark Wallet people are interested in this too fwiw)

People who do development, control development...

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:27:19 PM

Wrong.

+1

I think that Todd is ignoring/ignorant of a lot of the forces that are shaping the trajectory of the solution and placing to much emphasis on the actual codebase.  External factors tend to have a much bigger impact on a project's trajectory than code, and there is now a LOT of interest in Bitcoin from a lot of different directions.

Also, I wanted to get an entry in this thread to more conveniently follow it Wink

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Peter Todd
Legendary

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:49:04 PM

I think that Todd is ignoring/ignorant of a lot of the forces that are shaping the trajectory of the solution and placing to much emphasis on the actual codebase.  External factors tend to have a much bigger impact on a project's trajectory than code, and there is now a LOT of interest in Bitcoin from a lot of different directions.

If I thought code was what mattered most, I might, you know, actually write some. Smiley

d'aniel

Activity: 461
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 10:52:01 PM
Last edit: January 23, 2014, 11:02:11 PM by d'aniel

Yes, SPV clients and micropayment channels are preposterous!  Roll Eyes

Edit: I just heard that he's working on getting Tor on by default for Bitcoin wallets as well!  What a monster!
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 11:06:54 PM

https://blog.conformal.com/redecentralization-robust-developer-network/
NanoAkron

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 11:15:52 PM

Qoheleth/everbody:

This is against Satoshis and all earlier crypto-hackers spirit, ideas and dreams.

You're misinterpreting his point about passports. He was using it as an example of a trusted centralised token.
NanoAkron

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 23, 2014, 11:21:31 PM

Yes, SPV clients and micropayment channels are preposterous!  Roll Eyes

Edit: I just heard that he's working on getting Tor on by default for Bitcoin wallets as well!  What a monster!

TOR integration is potentially dangerous at this stage because it's very low hanging fruit for media outlets/vested interests to attack.

If we delayed TOR integration until bitcoin has gotten over many of these attacks regarding its 'anonymity' and 'links to criminal organisations', then they won't be able to lump us in with 'paedophiles' and 'arms traders' quite as easily.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: