Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:07:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin overvalued or ahead of schedule?  (Read 1778 times)
jbrock11 (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 08:08:57 AM

Found this interesting chart today that indicates we should be around $300.00 per BTC right now. I think their may be a little of both, overvaluation and being slightly ahead of schedule. No doubt the November jump was a bubble and we're coming down off of it but I highly doubt we drop below $500.00 anytime soon.

https://i.imgur.com/GOYWUMo.png
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3231

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 08:20:59 AM

That shows the danger of extrapolating the data in order to predict the future when you don't understand what is driving it.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 08:33:05 AM

Lame

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
jbrock11 (OP)

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 08:37:22 AM

That shows the danger of extrapolating the data in order to predict the future when you don't understand what is driving it.
3 years worth of charting data and the trend has held for the most part. Hard to argue with that.
fairglu
Legendary

Activity: 1100
Merit: 1030

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2014, 08:56:16 AM

The whole point of charting is that it's a self-fulfilling prophecy: if enough people follow them, then they become the "drive".

Up to a black swan event of course, which throws everything off the charts Wink

Johnny Bitcoinseed

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

Johnny Bitcoinseed

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2014, 12:43:01 PM

Or a white swan event...

Yes, if many people follow the same basic charting methods then the chart starts to dictate the prices!

There are many variables to consider.  As I see it, lately the main change has been an increasing number of large online merchants accepting Bitcoin.

Sincerely I am, Johnny BitcoinSeed .com
flm

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 12:59:28 PM

Wouldn't there more likely be a S curve rather than a gradual rise, over the next few years?
LOADING.READY.RUN

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 01:03:15 PM

Wouldn't there more likely be a S curve rather than a gradual rise, over the next few years?
The usual S-curve would only look S-shaped in a linear chart (like BTCUSD does). In a log-chart the S-curve looks mostly linear, as its steep-rise phase is determined by exponential growth.

As much as I agree that you can't take the past as a strict prediction of the future, I think it's well possible that the price ran ahead of adoption. That's what easily happens in a heated bull run like in November.

Anyway, there are many good news coming in, so the "real" (whatever this means) adoption might catch up with the price rather sooner than later. Hard to say. At the moment I don't see much upward strength though, and we're still pretty close to the correction from the all time high. Some more weeks/months before the next bull run begins and we see a new all time high would just be natural market behaviour.

zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 24, 2014, 02:49:17 PM

it's a log scale, it's not linear.

kellrobinson

Activity: 304
Merit: 380

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 03:19:29 AM

The usual S-curve would only look S-shaped in a linear chart (like BTCUSD does). In a log-chart the S-curve looks mostly linear, as its steep-rise phase is determined by exponential growth.
The s-curve or logistic function is just tanh by another name (merely scaled and shifted).
Anyway, take the log of the logistic function and this is what you get:
http://m.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y%3Dlog%281%2F%281%2Be%5E%28-x%29%29%29%2C-10%3C%3Dx%3C%3D10%2C-10%3C%3Dy%3C%3D1&x=11&y=7
Right now bitcoin is in the part of the curve on the left, where you see the sloping blue line.
Exponential growth won't last forever.  It can't, because the number of potential users and the amount of wealth in the world is finite.
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 11:44:35 AM

It's currently ahead of schedule. That's why it's consolidating. It may break out ahead again or even lag behind for awhile, but for all intents and purposes it seems to be destined to follow that damn log chart for at least a couple more years.
chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2014, 11:52:35 AM

Might be worth pointing out that a very slight difference in the slope of the line could mean the difference between hundreds and thousands of dollars per btc today.
Timetwister
Legendary

Activity: 1199
Merit: 1047

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 05:50:53 PM

Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 05:54:55 PM

Bitcoin is undervalued, in my opinion.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
coinpharmer

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 30, 2014, 07:47:00 PM

Bitcoin is undervalued, in my opinion.

maybe, its coming to a funny point with some of my friends.

"if it goes up in value again ill know its a ok time to buy and it wont come crashing back down"

while also saying:

"its currently too high of a price, and theres no point buying a fraction of a coin, i want to say i have a full bitcoin because thats pretty cool"

so its like a catch-22 or something for people....

I remember reading months back on here that generally speaking people want to be poor and will avoid success at all costs. at the time I thought the person posting it was being a a bit of a jerk who was full of themselves. now im watching it happen.  oh sure ive gotten lots of friends on board, but i cant save them all an it sucks giving up on them and viewing them as lost to crypto. everyone of them has 20 for beer at game night, but that same 20$ cant goto bitcoin. HA! funny when I throw parties and tell them "this new years party, booze was funded with bitcoin" they like it but still cant see bitcoin is better than USD. my mind is blown every time...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: